Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Godin Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Roncg41677, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Roncg41677

Roncg41677 Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Anyone else own one of these Canadian gems? These are some majorly under-appreciated guitars!

I just got a Redline 3, natural semi-satin finish with a maple board, Licensed Floyd and an EMG 81/85 set.

Attached Files:

2. progfan61

progfan61 Strat-Talker

Oct 20, 2012
    Harrison Twp.MI.
    I played a Redline 3 a few weeks back; unbelievable guitar....probably the smoothest playing guitar I've played in years.
    Congrats!

3. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    I've had my LGX since 1997 which I believe was about the time they hit the US market. This was my #1 guitar until about 4 years ago.

That Redline looks really nice. Congrats.

China Grove - YouTube

4. Roncg41677

May 14, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Some nice playing as always Mouse!

That LGX looks beautiful! What are those pickups? I don't know much about the earlier Godins. Are the sliders for a piezo? If so, how do you like that?

5. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    A friend of mine has one. I forget the model but it was a strat-ish style special edition for Long & McQuade store in Canada. Beautiful guitar, built-in tuner (pull the volume up, I think and you get a LED display), felt nice in my hands.

6. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thank you. Those are stock Tetrad pickups which I believe are made by Schaller. If I'm honest, I've always been sort of meh about them but they suit my needs fine. I may swap them out some day.

You're correct on the sliders being for the piezo (LR Baggs). That was the feature that sold me on the guitar. I wanted something versatile. The guitar has three output jacks: one dedicated electric, one dedicate piezo, one for both. I've often used the one for both as I can switch between either magnetic or piezo pickups with the mini toggle or I can set it so both are on and blend the two with the back knob. Very useful and it helps to take away some of that shrill tone you can get with the Piezos.

These weren't cheap when they first came out ($1,500 in 1997). Unfortunately they didn't hold their value very well but I have no intention of ever selling it. I've seen used models for as low as $500 although I think the average might be a little higher. They did put a lot of quality into them. That's a real flame maple cap. No veneer.

7. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Strat-Talker

Jun 1, 2013
    Near a mountain
    Godin makes some real fine instruments, real popular around here. I live about 160 miles North/West of their Richmond Quebec plant. I will have to take a drive someday and visit that plant.

8. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    Count me in! This is my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II. I love just about everything about this guitar. :) Its a real player, and the build quality is excellent! The P90s really sing (and chime, and growl, and snarl and whisper).

My other "Godin" is a Norman B20 Acoustic I've had for about 20 years.

Attached Files:

9. Roncg41677

May 14, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    LOVE the grain on that top!!! I'm not a jazz player, but I'd learn just to do justice to that beauty :). Nice one.

10. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

Aug 2, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I've had a few Godins over the years and still have two old ones.

I had an SDXT which was okay for a $300 guitar. Well built with good parts and average to blah pickups.

I had an old Artisan TC Signature from the 90's. Bird's eye maple capped neck and a quilt maple top.[​IMG]

I traded it for a Nylon Multiac ACS in blue. Teamed up with a Fishman Aura, this sounds more natural but I really don't know how to play it. I also have a Godin Acoustibass (another instrument I can't really play). I made these recordings with a Fishman Aura on them both and then recorded again without the effect and I think you can really hear how the Aura gives them a more 'natural' sound.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11938314 with the Aura
    SoundClick artist: Fabulous Five - page with MP3 music downloads without the Aura

[​IMG]

11. kchurch

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    Thanks man! LOL I'm no jazz player either, dont let the mild mannered exterior fool you, this guitar is a blues / roots / country & classic rock beast!

12. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    I have a couple of different godins, but I'm seriously thinking of making my godin session custom my #1 guitar - it is a seriously good guitar for not much money. Plays better than my Strats and Teles, just not quite sure yet if it will replace them, it looks a bit weird...

The Godin Progression is also a great guitar.

13. Roncg41677

May 14, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    I played a Session at our local GC. It was an amazing playing guitar. The fit and finish were so good. It's one of the ones that has contributed to my high opinion of them. Alas, I had my heart set on an SG and bought an SG special instead. In the end I traded my SG for my Redline. Maybe I should have just bought the Session instead :)

Pics?

14. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I played a buddy's Godin the other night. Nice guitar. To me the neck felt a little like a PRS.

15. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Here are my Godins, all based on strat/tele models. The LG type models with the shorted gibson scale length don't really do it for me.

On the left is the Session Custom, Progression in the Middle and Session on the right. They are all great players, the tremolo arm is missing from the custom, the guy who sold it to me lost it, so I have ordered one.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

16. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    disregard this post, I got the pictures working :)

17. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    ...and this one. Sorry

18. kchurch

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    Nice threesome! Are the Godin's easy to find in Switzerland?:

19. Roncg41677

May 14, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Drool worthy guitars there!

20. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Gatineau, Quebec
    Parm me for bumping this old thread, but I've a '97 Godin LGT with upgraded Seymour Duncan pickups. Like what I've heard so far from it, but that little Kustom 10 hasn't the oomph to get any real sound out of it. It's listed as cream colour, but looks more like antique white to me. With hardshell case, stand, and a few other accoutrements, it set my back a paltry 300 CAD.

Seymour Duncan likes this.