Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Going to build one

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by drysideshooter, Mar 8, 2018.

1. drysideshooter

drysideshooter Strat-Talk Member

Feb 25, 2018
    eastern WA
    I'm tired of CL ads, trying to find the right Strat, and live in an area where the nearest dealer with any selection of new is a few hours away. I'm a developer and builder, and a master level woodworker with a shop full of metal working and wood working tools. I was looking at a MIM at a local pawn shop this morning that was pretty nice. It's a 1990 and probably has one of the American made bodies they shipped south back then. A lot of wear and dings and it just didn't talk to me. I've played guitar since the early 70's and recently got back into it after a long hiatus. I sold my last Strat in the mid 80's. I'm a blues and classic rock home player and I want a Strat badly.

I think I'm going to start with a Saylor one piece alder body. I'm not a big whammy bar kind of guy, so I may even go hardtail, though I know they aren't as popular, this one is just for me. Maybe a Muskicraft neck, not sure on pups yet. Maybe Fat 50's or Seymour Duncan's. If I'm going to spend the time to build the thing I want to make sure I use good components.

I'm sure I will be back here asking some questions. I've built a lot of things, including estates and wineries that have ended up in magazines, but I've never built a guitar. I've swapped pups, rewired, etc., but this will be my first build. I have to say I'm really excited about it.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Awesome Can't wait to see the progress! Be sure to post lots of pictures!

drysideshooter likes this.

3. drysideshooter

Feb 25, 2018
    eastern WA
    I sincerely hope it is picture worthy. I will no doubt go really slow in hopes that it will turn out well. I am quite excited to get started.

4. drysideshooter

Feb 25, 2018
    eastern WA
    Well I definitely won't be using a Saylor guitar body. I sent Richard Saylor an email with a couple questions, including if it was possible to order directly without going through an auction site with him having to pay the fees and such. I also asked one finishing question and if it was possible to call to place an order. His reply was basically that time is money and unless someone wants to pay him to talk on the phone I can just email him a request, and suggested I watch some YouTube videos.

I'm the founder and CEO of a company that probably does more volume dollar wise in a day than he will do in his entire lifetime. I won't bother him by doing any business with him. I was less than impressed with his reply.

Bob the builder likes this.

5. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Indeed... That doesn't sound right at all.

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    If you're a master level woodworker, why not make the body and neck yourself, for a truly handcrafted instrument?

7. drysideshooter

Feb 25, 2018
    eastern WA
    Right now the biggest reason is time, and having some other projects, like a custom 1x12 cabinet, already in the works. I am waiting for a Warmoth body and neck. I want to get my feet wet, but eventually want to build a body. I would really like to have a couple stripes of contrasting wood through the centerline of a guitar body. A piece of carbon fiber laminated on top of some wood that would show at the surface might look cool too. I have a planer and the ability to glue up some nice wood. It seems as though routing templates are pretty widely available, and I plan to make an overall template of the neck and body once I get them too.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Contrasting wood sounds nice.

9. Kurt Villella

Kurt Villella Strat-Talker

Feb 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds like this will be a good project. Going slow and making sure you take the time to research what you want and how to do it is a smart move. As you surely already know, this forum is the place to come with questions.