Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gold Foil Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by robotguitar, Dec 21, 2017.

1. robotguitar

robotguitar Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2009
    california
    image.jpg image.jpg These are from an older no name guitar, probably Japan or Korea. They look like gold foil pickups but they don't have the 6 adjustment pole pieces that I see in most gold foil models. Instead there is just foil in the spaces. Anyone familiar with this style, or are these actually gold foil pickups, or something else? Thanks

2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Teisco guitar, the brand was sold to Kawai in 1967 and discontinued in around 1969.
    These are gold foils only in the sense that they are inspired by DeArmond gold foils.
    These are usually very microphonic.

Teisco also rebranded for numerous US brands.

robotguitar likes this.

3. robotguitar

robotguitar Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2009
    california
    Thanks, I guessed Teisco but really don't see extreme similarities in body shapes. I know there were tons crazy guitars being made around then, but I can't find any other pickups exactly like these. Just one of those things that bugs me.

4. Spiffums

Spiffums Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    Guitar Fetish is getting gold foil pickups from somewhere. I remember seeing them when I was poking around a while back.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Gold foils are great for greasy, swampy slide Blues.

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    That is correct and I used them on a Tele build. They are very inexpensive and sound decent....

7. dean martin

dean martin Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2011
    pgh
    You'd have to check, but those look like the pickup ry cooder used in the neck of his guitar.
    Check the shapes of the piercing..

8. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    A typical hallmark of gold foils is low output and round lows with chimey highs. Most had rubberized ferrite magnets. The cosmetics changed all the time depending on the make and model.
    The GFS versions are quite good. I like the alnico ones for a little bit warmer sound. They sound great clean or with a little hair.