Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gold Lace Sensor - A few Questions From a Noob

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by FuzzFace90, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Moopha

Moopha Strat-O-Master

Jan 29, 2011
    Northern Caucasus

2. FuzzFace90

FuzzFace90 Strat-Talk Member

Just to update everyone I bought a set of Fender Lace Gold's taken out of a 90s american strat. They are the three wire kind with the ground. They were in great shape and still had the Fender Lace Sensor writing on them. I got them for a good price, I saved a little bit of money vs buying a new set of golds. I want to thank everyone in this thread for their help, it definitely helped with the purchase. I will post my results here once I get them installed and tweak the pickup height. Rock on! :thumb:

P.S.
    I just looked at the pictures of the pickups I bought and they do have '666' at the end of the serial number, if that can help someone date them?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017

3. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Is the Fender Lacr Sensor text flush with the face of the pickup or recessed a bit?

4. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    666 set is original fender style. I have two sets in the 662 run. Those are basically vintage golds though there really is not a difference I have two sets of 662 and I have some of the newer ones they are all good.

Rastus and FuzzFace90 like this.

5. FuzzFace90

They are recessed, guess that's why the font hasn't been wiped off. So they would be post 1993 correct? Side question: do you guys use mounting screws or tubes for your pickups? Does it matter?

6. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Correct.

7. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    The original Lace Golds only had Orange and White leads up until the end of 1992. They added the extra Green ground wire later to solve phasing issues.

SurfsUp likes this.

8. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I dont have any experience with newer lace golds.

The older ones are pretty affordsble and available. Id just buy a set of older ones.

FuzzFace90 likes this.

9. FuzzFace90

I got a set of older ones on the way :thumb: got them cheaper than a new set of golds!

amstratnut likes this.

10. mtsv

mtsv Strat-Talk Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Turkey
    I own an '89 Strat Plus with 3 Gold Lace Sensors. As far as I rememeber, they replaced the standard Fender pups with Laces both to provide a vintage tone and cancel the hum as well (and of course the Plus series were intended to increase the overall qulity). The original Fender gold Laces are not hot, I somewhat find the 57/62 set almost equivalent but Laces are definitely quiet. Fender dropped them as soon as they go for their own Noiseless series, which is good, but I've always favoured the Fender Laces because of my romantic enthusiasm of 90's tones (particularly Clapton tone). Now I also own the Vintage Noiseless set, and they are also hotter than the Laces.

e44crowe, FuzzFace90 and T Bone Slort like this.

11. FuzzFace90

I guess it made too much sense from a business standpoint for Fender to come up with their own noiseless pups and cut out the middle man. To my ears the Lace Sensors are the tone I've been searching for. I love the extra quack with the clean tone and how well they take pedals. But the overdrive tones I've heard with them are exactly the sound I'm going for. I too love the tones from the late 80s-90s. Heck I like the way the pickups look! I know that is a point of contention with a lot of players. Here's to hoping they work out for me.

SurfsUp, mtsv and T Bone Slort like this.

12. mtsv

mtsv Strat-Talk Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Turkey
    I agree with you about the business point. It was a necessary move for Fender but it was not sustainable. Anyway, I think the Laces play an important role for signifying the tone of an era.

FuzzFace90 likes this.

13. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    I'm a huge Lace fan.

My '93 DlxPls has the red/silver/blue set and it's fantastic!

I also have a set of first gen Hot Golds which I love, not the 13k bridge set, they all meter out at about 6 or so.

Keep us up to date with your new pups!!!!!!

T Bone Slort and FuzzFace90 like this.

14. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    Was ending the deal with Lace really business, or was it the fact that they Lace Sensors didn't look vintage correct?

15. FuzzFace90

Will do! I love the Siamese Dream era tones Corgan got with those pups!

I've always thought the Lace Sensors looked cool and different but in doing research to me it seems the look of the Sensors is that big of a deal to some people. I see where people say they out right refuse to play them because of the looks and going as far as drawing on little pole pieces lol. To me if it sounds good I don't really care about the looks... to an extent. So you bring up a very interesting point and I'm sure it played into Fender's decision when going to the Vintage Noiseless. Funny how they made sure to include the word "vintage" that's kind of an oxymoron in regards to a noiseless pickup.

16. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    I agree, my 91 DlxPls has the same set and I love their tone.

SurfsUp likes this.

17. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I liked modern looking pickups for a while, but something seemed off about them, and then I realized the issue was that a Strat is a 50's design, and there is something 50's crude about exposed pole pieces. The Lace Sensor (intentionally) look relatively futuristic, like pickups straight out of Star Trek. It's a clash of ideas in one eye full. It's slapping a spoiler on a car that wasn't intended to have a spoiler. Lace Sensors or Floyd Rose trems in a Jackson look a lot better, because everything about the guitar says 80's. Since coming to that revelation I make sure my Strats look mostly stock, even if I change the wiring around inside.

4SEVEN3 likes this.

18. FuzzFace90

To me the sensors don't look that out of place. With the covers it looks like it is a part of the pick guard, very streamlined. But I like both looks classic and new. The strat looks cool with just about any single coil style pickup in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks.

SurfsUp and T Bone Slort like this.

19. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    In regards to the "look" of Sensors in a Strat..............the same can be said of EMG, no? Ol' Gilmour didn't mind.

Personally, I like the look of Sensor's in a Strat (LOVE the sound lol) but I think of it this way......everything lines up. Unlike pole pieces where the strings never seem to perfectly glide over, you never get that wonky off-kilter look.

I remember years ago swapping pups in my Dlx and was like whaaaat??

My PlsDlx is in my profile pic to the left, with a set of PV65's, but it's safely back to stock now.

And never looked better

EDIT:

You can, or could perhaps at one time, buy Lace Sensor's WITH faux pole pieces! Although I never saw any in a guitar personally.

And on the business side of things, Fender booted Lace out in order to keep things 'internal'.......they basically decided they can do a better job themselves. So out came the Vintage Noiseless ect ect....

FuzzFace90 and T Bone Slort like this.

20. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I bought my hot gold loaded PG from the 'bay.