Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Good grief - stringing a Contemporary Strat System 3 trem

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bloomz, May 15, 2014.

1. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    I have a partscaster with the System 3 tremolo, and just put a new neck on it - great looking Star inlaid.

Everything went well until trying to string this monster.

I know some others here have Contemporaries with System 3 trems - have you ever seen a screwier way of anchoring the bridge end of the strings?????

It took me about 10 minutes per string to get around all those screwy angles to get them to anchor. Took a fine screwdriver and two needle nose pliers.

What happens if a gigging player breaks a string on stage?

It is a highly complicated tremolo, with the fat threaded rod that screws up the length of the body instead of a trem claw for bridge adjustment.

But stringing them - is ridiculous.

Dang I got a fine looking axe now tho - but need to go to a pro to shim the neck it looks like cuz all I hear right now is buzz buzz buzz.

Reason I need a pro? Last time I had my neck shimmed on my Valley Arts - he did it the exact opposite of the way I would have, he shimmed the neck end of the pocket instead of the bridge end - and it worked wonderfully. Totally counter intuitive to what I was thinking. May need a truss adjustment too.

Pics coming when I get it set up -

In case you don't know about the string anchoring - here's a pic (not mine)

The string locks underneath where you can see then has to bend right angle, then go over and under and over again to the little saddle wheel. The picture doesn't do it justice as to what a pain in the ass it is

whew!

oops scratch that it was a wrong picture and I can't find one - trust me it's a bear!

Here- I shot one myself

Attached Files:

2. madmat

madmat But I digress Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 13, 2010
    Allatoona Landing
    There's a trick to doing it that makes life much easier but it's been nearly 20 years since I had one and I can't remember the details. I think it involved pre-bendeing the ball end of the strings before putting them into the holders.

3. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    I think I did that before but it takes 4 or 5 bends and the dang string wants to twist while bending, which makes it bend the wrong direction.

There must be an easier way yeah?

4. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    Aha - found this in the manual

Attached Files:

5. madmat

Oct 13, 2010
    Allatoona Landing
    I don't know, I never had much trouble with mine. String changes took me about a half hour, it was faster than my Floyd was.

6. QReuCk

QReuCk Strat-Talker

Apr 17, 2014
    France
    Depends.
    a) the gigging player has a backup guitar and someone backstage can take care of changing that string during the next song while he's playing his backup.
    b) time for a drum and/or bass solo if that's a power trio or for some songs needing only one guitarist if that's a 4 piece.
    c) the guitarist has no backup and the band has nothing to play if the guitarist is not there. Hopefully you have a good frontman who can entertain the audience in the mean time.

bloomz likes this.

7. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

Never had a system 3 trem... but... from what I see... including what the manual says to do... One SERIOUS PITA.

Why use one?....

Every guitar player I've known whose gone with any type of "Improved" trem... locking or whatever... Floyd's... Kahler's... have nothing but trouble.

They don't hold tune any better than a Vintage or 2 point trem... And they have a propensity for string breakage either at the nut or at the bridge saddle.

Friggin' worthless, overpriced and non functional IMO

8. madmat

Oct 13, 2010
    Allatoona Landing

One thing the System III does that no other trem I've seen does is lock to a hardtail. There's a hex on the side of the trem that the end of the trem arm fits into and it locks the trem down solid.

As far as Floys and others being less stable in regards to tuning, if they're not as stable as a traditional trem then there's a problem. Something isn't tight or the strings aren't fully stretched or the fulcrum edges are fubar because one that's done right will hold tuning for months at a time.

bloomz likes this.

9. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house

Serious complicated pain in the ass that they are - they work nothing short of awesome.

Fender trems are made by Mattel, you know.

Floyds are no less stable, probably more so than Fender's (Mattel) trems. Once set up and strings locked - they virtually never go out of tune - and the fine tuners are a dream.

10. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

i loved my contemporary.. i hated stringing it though, i know what you are talking about..

bloomz likes this.

11. loudcherokee

loudcherokee Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2013
    pittsburgh
    Based on this picture, what I would try to do is slip a piece of old guitar string through the loop of the new string ball. Then slide both ends of the old string through section 2, and pull. It looks like it would pull the ball right through there.

I've never seen one of these in person, so I could be way off base, but based on the diagram it looks like that would work.

LC

12. Menthu

Menthu Strat-O-Master

Jan 4, 2014
    Atlanta, GA USA
    The simpler the better.

13. PiezoMan

PiezoMan Strat-O-Master

Nov 16, 2012
    Trinidad&Tobago
    Which system is the best? And why is the system 1 so expensive on ebay?

14. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Frankly none of the System 1, 2, or 3 were that great. The "System 2" wasn't really anything other than a renaming of the version of the "FreeFlyte" that was used on Strat Elites in 1983-84.

The System 1 was simpler, it worked okay but tended to have part failure. They are so expensive on ebay because:

1. Fender put out a lot of guitars in 1985/1986 that had them - both a lot of models and a lot of units of each model

2. Parts tended to break off or get knocked off, particularly the fine tuner screws

3. Because of those issues Fender dropped the bridge after a bit more than a year and replaced it with the more solid Kahler 2500 series trems

4. There really isn't any other trem that fits the factory install of a System 1 - other than that Kahler 2500 and they aren't made any more either

If you need parts, there aren't a lot them around, so supply and demand drives up the price.

bloomz likes this.

15. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    I think the System 1 is probably the "best" one - tho I've never tried a System 2, the lack of the fine tuners...and it has the threaded rod up thru the body in place of a trem claw, like my System III has.

and that guy papatom has parts for the System 1's, as well as will completely rebuild them - tho none of mine have needed rebuilding.

I've gotten rid of all my Mattel trem strats now.

Last edited: May 16, 2014

16. PiezoMan

PiezoMan Strat-O-Master

Nov 16, 2012
    Trinidad&Tobago
    I have an MIJ with the system 1. Got it really cheap because the fb needed work. took it to the tech and he had to replace one of the fine tuners when setting up. He couldnt find the original so he used a thinner one.
    now the frets sprung and he said I'm better off getting a new neck because he did extensive work to refret, and anymore would go through the board. Two people I spoke to knew that guitar and both told me a past owner lathered the fretboard with vaseline petroleum jelly. the tech being one of them.
    I paid about $150 for the guitar
    the refret cost me about $120
    a new neck with the locking nut costs above $150
    a new bridge costs another $150
    the entire guitar on ebay in good shape is $350.
    I'm almost ready to give up on this guitar....

17. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    The one I'm working on now is a partscaster - and I just changed the neck to a star inlaid one (may have said that before)

But it was easy to put a different neck on it - I bought it from eyguitarmusic and I like it fine - I just wanted fancy inlays.

I'll probably be putting the one I just took off it on ebay

18. PiezoMan

PiezoMan Strat-O-Master

Nov 16, 2012
    Trinidad&Tobago

19. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    I'll have pix when I get it back tomorrow - it's a looker and a half.

20. jalmer79

jalmer79 Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2013
    IL
    As I said in another thread I'm glad I have the Squier Contemporary with the standard Fender stamped bridge.

Attached Files: