Join Strat-Talk Today

Got a Kemper Profiler - Early Review

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by GoldenEagle0308, Jan 17, 2019.

1. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-Talker

I've maybe played 20 hours on this amp. There are literally 100s of profiled amps available on Kemper's website alone not counting thousands you can buy or download for free. I have only used the profiles available from the website. A lot of the amps I have never played in person, like a handwired JCM800 a Fender 65 Bassman and a whole slew of legendary and boutique amps. However, I am pretty familiar with 6505, 5150, AC30 and Princeton Reissue. I can say, without hesitation, that the profiles are indistinguishable from the real deals. I haven't A/B'd all these amps except for the Princeton. Again, indistinguishable. It's really amazing that this technology exists. Although the profiler is expensive (wife doesn't know how much I spent and I hope she never finds out), it will ultimately save me thousands of dollars.

There are a ton of features to explore, which I haven't done, so I won't comment on that.

I will say, however, that I have been unable to replicate my Princeton's reverb and tremolo. Nothing has a trail like the Fender reverb. That's a little disappointing, but the other features more than make up for it. I am also really surprised at how the amp reacts to OD pedals - just like the real deal.

That's all for now.

2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations. I hear very good things about them.
    I am really intrigued by the kemper.
    I know two guys who recently bought them, and they both say the kemper is totally accurate.
    Please keep us posted.

3. GoldenEagle0308

Will do!

4. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Probably the thing I would have popped for if I were still performing...at least in the club circuit.

I used a modeling thing, albeit a piece of junk, the last year of my performing days, one that I had set up to model the blackfaces it was standing in for.

In a club venue where people were engaged in mating rituals...nobody cared.

Yours is not a piece of junk. Wish it had been around when I was going that direction.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    amstratnut likes this.
  5. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Take your Princeton. Set it with the reverb and tremolo as you desire. Snample a profile of that. It should accurately simulate it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nick-O likes this.
  6. GoldenEagle0308

Will the profile sound good even though I'm recording it in a regular room instead of a studio?

7. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

if you mic your Princeton well, it should.

You can emulate the qualities of a studio to a certain extent by using pillows and blankets as sound absorption / extraneous echo deflection devices. It isn't sexy, but it works.

The real biggy is the microphone...the better the better.

Take your time, listen carefully, do a whole bunch of "takes" ... you'll get it.

What I did by the way, with a cheesy vox tonelab desktop, was set the amp I wanted to model next to the cabinets from the vox and, at volume, tweaked the presets until I achieved what sounded like parity. Then I saved that. It worked well enough that I still use it today.

Nick-O likes this.
  8. bluesmanmartin

bluesmanmartin Strat-Talk Member

What cab are you using or just into PA or computer monitors? I’m still trying to wrap my head around how you project these things. This will be my next purchase most likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. GoldenEagle0308

I'm currently using a 1x12 cab, but will probably get some FRFR speakers for gigs that need more power or don't have a PA. The Kemper is very versatile. You can use cabinets, monitors, PA, and record directly into your computer. If you buy the non-powered head, then you'll need a separate power amp or powered speakers. The powered head is worth the extra money. It's 600 watts, so that's more than enough for 99.99999% of the guitarists out there, including the pros, and you don't need to worry about a power amp or powered speakers. I don't play bass, but it also includes bass amps.

If you're on the fence, watch some of the tutorial videos. Most of them are only a few minutes long. It will give you a sense of what it can and can't do. Here's the link.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/video

bluesmanmartin likes this.
  10. GoldenEagle0308

I'm currently using a 1x12 cab, but will probably get some FRFR speakers for gigs that need more power or don't have a PA. The Kemper is very versatile. You can use cabinets, monitors, PA, and record directly into your computer. If you buy the non-powered head, then you'll need a separate power amp or powered speakers. The powered head is worth the extra money. It's 600 watts, so that's more than enough for 99.99999% of the guitarists out there, including the pros, and you don't need to worry about a power amp or powered speakers. I don't play bass, but it also includes bass amps.

If you're on the fence, watch some of the tutorial videos. Most of them are only a few minutes long. It will give you a sense of what it can and can't do. Here's the link.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/video

bluesmanmartin likes this.
  11. GoldenEagle0308

Thanks for the tips! I'll let you know how it turns out.

12. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

Really impressed with the Kemper.

13. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

I see a lot of touring bands now using the Kemper. Congratulations on a great amp!

14. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

Judging from the reviews and the used prices, people are really loving these things, and are holding on to them.

15. GoldenEagle0308

It's funny that you mention that because I thought the same thing when I was cruising Reverb for one.

16. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Kempers are totally killer. Congrats on your new amp collection. ;)

GoldenEagle0308 and The-Kid like this.
  17. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

As people said it depends on mic and placement. But its fairly easy.

A former band mate had a kemper. He profiled my 1972 deluxe reverb. It sounded better than the real deal simply because of the ability to have it cranked without the volume. And it sounded so big because of the massive power amp and 15inch speakers :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

18. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

In ten years that which is top-of-the-line today will look laughably primitive and nobody will be caught dead using it.

19. GoldenEagle0308

If i don't have to buy another amp for 10 years than it's worth it

Silvercrow likes this.
  20. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

BIG congrats!

And please do keep us posted!

I regularly go to see the latest iteration of the Outlaws and Chris Anderson uses a Kemper. No complaints about tone, volume or anything!

I have and love a Positive Grid Bias Head Amp. Similar to the Kemper, but the Kemper is a world apart!.

The PG is absolutely killer / realistic compared with tube amps I've owned (vintage and modern PTP). I'm currently giging with it and also playing on the church Worship team with it. 1x12 Avatar large cab, Celestion speaker rated 100 watts. NO trouble keeping up with loud bass and heavy hitter drummer!

I'm betting you'l be loving the Kemper a long time!

Best wishes with it!

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.