Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Got a New / Used Cab; Carvin 2x12

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Silvercrow, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Drove up to Music go Round in Wilkes Barre Pa. today to pick up my Carvin 212 cab. Surprisingly great condition, it is a "vertical" cab (has feet so you can use it horizontal too, although it is a beveled cab, so..)

1/4" and xlr jacks, 4 / 16 ohm switchable.

Tried it out with a small Vox head and a Gibson double cut LP Studio. Sounded great- fairly articulate- tighter low end, crisp highs. I work second shift and didn't have a whole lot of time to try it out. Just mainly, at this point, wanted to make sure the speakers weren't blown.

Took it home and cleaned it up- it has the carpeting rather than tolex, metal grille cover (can you say 80's rock?). Took the speakers out to examine; they are the USA made Carvin British series 100 watt, 12" 8 ohm. (marked 1270 on the rear of the cones)

My Positive Grid Bias Head amp will be here Friday- meanwhile I do not have an amp that will push a 4 or 16 ohm cab and I'm reluctant to re-configure the wiring ...I'm not known for my patience!

The cab is built like a tank- looks like 7 ply wood, acoustic fluff material- the speakers are front loaded.

I couldn't find a decent Youtube video playing totally clean, but this one sounds good: (to me)

Anyone have / use these speakers? I understand they were made by Eminence and are early versions of the "Legend" series?

Any info / correction / opinion please feel free. I paid $150.00 for it and I figure the cab is worth that much. I can always re-do the grille with cloth and the cab with tolex, but honestly, I probably won't; it just doesn't matter to me so much how it looks.

Now, if the speakers are winners too...;)

Brian

2. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    I Recently bought a used Carvin tweed cab 1 by 12, and found the stock speaker quite useable. It doesn't have a label on it, just a stamped number. MUS ML 12085. I'm no speaker expert, but I thought I would replace it, as I mostly wanted the cabinet, but now I'm in no hurry to.

3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I have a Carvin V212-EV cab, with EVMs.
    I also had a similar cab way back in the early '70s and this one is of similar high quality construction.
    'Carpet' covered, angled top, casters.
    I keep it around as a utility cab, it works nicely for bass.

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I don't have a Carvin, but I almost always play through my 2 x 12. It's such a wide sound. Everyone needs a 2x12.

5. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I agree!

During my tenure as an electric guitar player, I've always played 1x12 or 4x10. We all know the 1x12 can be quite.."beam-y". I love the 4x10s; both my Hot Rod Deville and my 59 Bassman RI were teriffic sounding / full sounding amps.

LOL the guy at Music Go Round said the same thing as you, essentially- "Everybody ought to have one of these...." and went on to say how they fill a sonic space without beaming.

I'm really psyched to try this in my style, at volume! (and 'playing out'!)

Brian

Robins and nuculer terrist like this.

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Sounds absolutely great.
    Great find and price.

All the best,
    Robin

Silvercrow likes this.

7. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I'll do my best to get a "review" out- the amp should be here tomorrow- I imagine I'll do some play-through s before any major tweaking. I haven't been this excited about a purchase for a long time...

Thanks all for the encouragement!

Brian

8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Very directionally loud. Much louder along the axis of the speaker than to the side.

Silvercrow likes this.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Thank you

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

11. busted-e-again

busted-e-again Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2009
    swnw
    They had a reputation of well-built cabinets (going out of business now). The sound of course depends on what speakers are in them for the most part.

Silvercrow likes this.

12. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Thanks again, Sir! Lesson learned- should know how to spell unofficial terms before I use 'em LOL!

So far, I'm liking these British series. Pretty tight bass and seems to be articulate in the highs. I've heard better, but for the cost, in the meanwhile...great!

Shame they are going out of business, as least in the form that they were / started. Good quality cabs- not too exciting, but reasonable costs and got the job done. One of our originals band's PA amps was a Carvin, along with 2 QSCs. The Carvin held it's own pretty darn well...

Seems like Keisel's doing well...good on 'em!

RE: Cabs. I'm so friggin' out of touch- I started looking for cabs, new and used, and was shocked :eek: at some of the prices. Great quality but Holy cow; when did this all happen? Don't wanna start a flame war but like so much in the musical instrument realm, aesthetics aside- I saw some higher end manufacturers with 1x12's pushing a grand!!?? Even if the speaker was worth $300.00...$700.00 for a cab?!?! (Old guy, asleep at the wheel, that's me!)

Brian

13. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Indeed, Silvercrow, some of the prices for cabs are insane.
    A couple of years ago I was toying with the idea of building a cab, and saw a 4-12 Fender cab on the local CL for $100. I got myself out there on the double, and grabbed it. I have never pulled the speakers to see what they are, but it works well for me. I used it as extension cab on my HRDIII for a while, but exclusively with my Quilter Tone Block 200 of late.
    So, yes, some good deals are out there if you keep your eyes open and are ready to pounce on them.

Silvercrow likes this.

14. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Good score! I love it when folks get a great deal on something! The way us guitar fanatics are, there should be a whole PLANET of used gear at reasonable prices. The operative word; reasonable.

NOT TO HIJACK my own started thread- but how do you like that Quilter Toneblock @shovelmike?

Brian

15. shovelmike

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    I am a fanatic about the Toneblock. I liked what I had read about these great sounding, compact, light weight, powerful amps. The icing on the cake is that they are made in the USA.
    By incredible good fortune, I got in on the closeout price on mine, plus a further "open box" discount. It arrived securely shrink wrapped and pristine for a grand total of $280.
    This is my go to amp 90 percent of the time.

Silvercrow likes this.

16. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    SOUNDS GREAT! I had an Aviator combo amp and although well built and great sounding, I sold it; we just didn't bond. I had read fantastic reviews relative to the ToneBlock 100 and your model- seems that I should have selected one of those.

Did you do a review, or a thread on yours?

Brian

17. shovelmike

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    I didn't do a full review, I started a thread for Toneblock owners. It's unfortunate that Quilter discontinued this model, replacing it with the Toneblock, which is lower wattage rating (50 I think), but has on board reverb (Which my Toneblock lacks, no foul, straight to the PA with it's delay dialed in you get very good sound)
    Driven hard, it's designed to sound much like a good tube amp. It compares quite favorably with my HRDIII and H&K Tubemeister, though I mostly prefer a clean sound rather than distortion.

Silvercrow likes this.