Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Got my first tube amp. Getting my first cab.

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by RoyZ, Mar 9, 2018.

1. RoyZ

RoyZ Strat-Talker

Jul 17, 2013
    Brazil
    Hey guys.

I got this week my first tube amp. Its a handmade 30w head.

I am now going for a cab.
    I'd like your thoughts on some matters. I appreciate the time, and thank you in advance.

I'm aiming at a 2x12, with 2 Eminence GB12, they have 50w each.

Wattage wise, I'll be ok right?

And what do you guys think about this speaker? I like to play a little bit of everything, from blues to black sabbath.

Another thing that I am a little bit lost...
    My amp has two output jacks, one for 4 omhs and one for 8 omhs.

I have only used the amp a little so far since I just got it, I used it on my friends 1x12 cab, which is a 8 omhs cab. So I only used my amp in the 8 omhs jack.

The people here that make the cabs told me that they only have 8 omhs speakers, so for a 2x12, they would wire them in parallel, so the cab would have a IN MONO jack of 4 omhs.

My question is, is there a difference in tone if it was 8 omhs, or 16 omhs? And I'm talking here about a perfect match (4 ohms amp with 4 ohms cab, 8 ohms amp with 8 ohms cab, and so on...), not a safe mismatch...
    Is there a difference in sound between them? Something I should worry about?

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    get some eminence red fangs.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    There shouldn't be a difference in tone that the amp is producing if you're keeping the amp looking at an output impedance it's designed for. In other words, connecting a 4 ohm load to the 4 ohm amp output should sound the same as connecting a 16 ohm load to its 16 ohm output. The output tubes will see these as the same correct load.

bhr17, RoyZ and The-Kid like this.

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    This...

While some crazy ass tone freaks will say otherwise.

There really isnt a difference to my ears and if there is....its rather marginal.

Groovey and RoyZ like this.

5. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Also what amp did you get!?!?

Hahaha

post pics man!!!

RoyZ and Class A Knob like this.

6. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    In my experience old marshalls seem to sound best using the 16 ohm tap. That is if using a cab that has ability to do 4 or 16 ohms ,when you are hitting it hard it just sounds better using the higher impedance. Crisp and bright crunch. I have a 1978 super lead and its absolutely true. 16 ohms is better :)

There IS a measurable difference in the frequency response of your typical multitap tube amp output transformer between the different taps. . And there are real reasons for this. The wire is longer and more windings on the higher impedance tap.

I have read too that with powerful marshall amps that the higher impedance tap spreads the heat over the greater copper mass which can potentially lead to running cooler ..

For your amp its unlikely to matter a great deal. I'd not get too wound up about it.

Thats a pun. Transformers impedance taps windings. Thank you and good night.

Robins, Groovey and RoyZ like this.

7. RoyZ

RoyZ Strat-Talker

Jul 17, 2013
    Brazil
    Hey there.
    I only have limited options here. That one is not among them sadly.

Thanks guys, that leaves me less worried and now more confident to get the cab done. Great majority of speakers I can get here all comes in 8 ohms only... so if I want a 2x12 I will either end up with 4 ohms cab or 16 ohms... and 16 is not a option for my amp.

Hey there!

Well I got a 30w, handmade, has 3 12ax7 and 2 power tubes, 6L6 I believe. It has 2 channels, with independent EQ each. The clean channel is based on the fender twin reverb, and the drive is based on the plexi 1967. Has reverb included. Has send and return jacks and have footswitch jack.

I will try and take some pics tomorrow.

The-Kid likes this.

8. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    Isn't it funny how in a world of nanotechnology and whatnot, tubes are the preferred?

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    It is funny. The biggest reason I own tube amps is the great sound when you get into a little breakup, but there's also the fact that when I was young, transistors were pretty new, and all the audio stuff at our house used tubes. McIntosh (mono) HiFi, Wollensak tape recorder, etc.. I got to like mean looking, hot, glowing glass bottles with electrons mysteriously flying across a gap. :)

10. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Sounds dope...

Okay what build is it...

Who made it....

Wtf ninja!!!! Hahhaa JK but you get me man....what is it!?!?!?

Like what name\maker\brand....like what is it?

Sounds dope though.

11. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Welcome to the world of traditional guitar amps ! Congrats.

Nothing to "worry" about.
    I personally prefer the sound of parallel wired speakers rather than series.
    I think it may have to do with damping factor.
    It's not a really large difference but what I hear is a slightly cleaner low end and of bit more of high end definition.
    That flabby "chugging" bassy sound typical of metal rhythm playing is a product of low damping among other characteristics.

However, there is something to be said for using the entire secondary winding to drive your speaker load.
    For example, if the highest impedance winding available is 8 Ohms and you want to use two speakers MY preferred setup would be 2x16 Ohm speakers wired in parallel on the full 8 Ohm winding.
    Leo Fender (and early CBS) used this approach on almost all the guitar amps where there were no "taps" on the output transformer secondary.
    The output transformers were optimized for the particular amp model's speaker setup.

RoyZ and The-Kid like this.

12. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah thats how my Crate VC212 is wired and I like it.

I dont know why but a prefer a 16ohm as 112 but 212 with 16ohms wired to 8ohm....

Thats also how manufacturers typically set up their speakrrs...

I guese most are engeniered that way.

RoyZ likes this.

13. RoyZ

RoyZ Strat-Talker

Jul 17, 2013
    Brazil
    Thanks =)

Well I can only get my hands on 8 ohms speakers... so for my 2x12, I'm gonna have to go for a 4 omhs cab, two 8 ohms speakers in parallel, cause my amp has only 4 ohms and 8 ohms option.

14. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    You can wite 212 16ohms for 8ohm...i forgot what methid but yeah its common.

15. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Or, you could order 2 good quality 16 ohm speakers over the internet, stick them in that 2x12, and you have an 8 ohm cab. Why do the locals only have 8 ohm speakers, and they professionally build and wire cabs? Their speaker supplier can only send them 8 ohm speakers? Just doesn't make any sense.

16. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    The reason is pretty simple - the Eminence GB 16Ohm is a custom order. They make them in 8Ohm only.

All the best,
    Robin

The-Kid likes this.

17. RoyZ

RoyZ Strat-Talker

Jul 17, 2013
    Brazil
    Yeah I mean, I would prefer having the cab at 8 ohms, cause I see there are heads that does not support 4 ohms... but sadly, like I said, I can only get my hands on 8 ohms speakers.... so that leaves me with 2 options... 4 ohms cab or 16 ohms cab.

By the way, forgive my noobness, but is it possible for the 2x12 cab with 8 ohms speakers to have both jack mono inputs, one for 4 ohms and another for 16 ohms? Both parallel and series wire? lol

Or I have to pick one. And if so, its going to be 4 ohms.

18. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    RoyZ and The-Kid like this.

19. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Robins and RoyZ like this.

20. RoyZ

RoyZ Strat-Talker