Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Graduation ceremonies from early school

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jun 13, 2018.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    For quite a while, I've heard about schools having graduation ceremonies for pre-kindergarten (or pre-school), from middle school, etc.. When I was growing up, the only graduation celebrations I knew of were from high school and college. To me, graduation was a major milestone, as it meant completing a large amount of education. These days, with schools having graduation events from pre-school, middle school/jr. high, etc., it seems like making a big deal out of a small thing. Does anyone else think it's odd to have graduation ceremonies for pre-school and middle school/jr. high?

Cerb, Strats4me and Neil.C like this.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    They did the "Graduation" things with me, and my siblings even from pre-school. Ages 40, 36, 32, 30.

My kids are still too young for the hogwash, but it seems like my 7 year old nephews had a new ceremony every single year of their pre-kindergarten schooling. Mostly silly dance routines. Bunch of nonsense, really. Kids didn't want to be there. I certainly didn't.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

3. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    My answer would get waaay to political and get me banned....I withhold my thoughts, but I do think it is ridiculous.

4. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    "every single year" - How many years of pre-kindergarten schooling did they have? I only had one year of school before kindergarten, when I was 4 & 5 years old.

5. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I am in full agreement, but I am also aware that this makes me a cranky old guy and people need to get off my lawn.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I think their child care had stuff. I think they had 3 years. Maybe 2, but seemed like 15

Paperback Rocker likes this.

7. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I went to Catholic school for the first 8 years and we had graduation from 8th grade.
    It was the highest grade in that school before many went on to 'public school' and a few went on to Catholic high school.

We were made aware that the public school kids didn't have a graduation from 8th grade and so we were in some small way different without being particularly better.
    Kinda made 9th grade in public school hell, though.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    They imported it and started doing it nursery schools here a few years ago. They graduate at 4.

Then we can send them up chimneys...

Utter bo*****.

Cerb, Paperback Rocker and Neil.C like this.

9. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    An excuse for PC types to make something out of nothing.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

...and an excuse for non-PC types to gripe. Everyone gets something out of it.

I've even heard that some people have Birthday parties EVERY YEAR!!! And Mother's Day, and Father's Day, and Christmas. What a bunch of nonsense. Everyone gets a holiday these days. Sheesh.

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

...and that New Year thing. Even planet Earth gets a Participation Trophy.

Congrats, Earth!!! You went around the Sun again!! Hip hip hooray!! How idiotic.

Hopefully your wife/husband won't demand an observance of your wedding anniversary.

Mansonienne, Boognish and amstratnut like this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yup. The thing that no one wants to admit on the, shall we say “non-PC” side is they are every bit as complicit. If they refused to participate, none of this would go on. They like to whine about it but just as much a part of the culture.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    They are going to have to start putting trophy rooms in new houses for all these awards everyone gets nowadays.

Neil.C and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I can see where this thread is headed.

Im just gonna say, who here is against spending time with and encouraging their child?

Everyone here is familiar with the term, positive reinforcement, right? Its not some crazy concept. We do it here at strat talk every day.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    In my school days, positive reinforcement was a book down the back of your trousers...

Cerb, Neil.C and Strats4me like this.

16. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Those kind of graduation ceremonies are akin to birthday parties after you turn 21. Reminds me of that Patton Oswalt bit:

"There’s only about 20 birthdays you should be allowed to celebrate. And the others? You’re wasting cake and paper….Here are the 20 you can celebrate: 1 through 9 you get a birthday. Cos you’re a little kid! A little kid gets a birthday. 10, you get a birthday. Now you’re in the double digits. Something’s different…13, you get a birthday. Now you’re a teenager….16 you get a birthday, cos now you can drive…18? Awesome birthday, cos you can buy a gun and vote….When you’re 19, you get a birthday, because it’s your last year as a teenager….When you’re 20, you get a birthday. Any time you enter a new set of tens: 20, 30, 40, 50, you get a birthday. 21, you get an awesome birthday. And then, THAT’S IT. A birthday every ten years. “I’m 26!” Great, go to work. Who gives a ****?"

17. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    And look how postitive, happy and well adjusted you turned out:)

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It shows doesn't it? Bring back the birch I say. That'd sort them all out.

19. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    When I first heard that my granddaughter was having a kindergarten graduation....I thought...you have got to be kidding...but nope, it was true...

Then I saw the photo of her in her graduation gown (yes a 6 year old in a gown)....and I'm sold.

If this reinforces her love of school and broadens her views on learning, then it only enriches all of our lives....

20180614_140707.jpg

plus she is a cutie (though I am biased)...this pic hangs proudly on the wall next to my desk...

20. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I suppose that's true. My initial gut reaction was that perhaps a kindergarten graduation might make a child expect to get a trophy/prize for every little thing. Also, I'm not sure kids that young are old enough to really understand or appreciate what a graduation really means. When I was in kindergarten, we didn't even have any homework to bring home - We'd just go to school and do our learning, but perhaps the most fun part was seeing friends at school. What would a child get out of a graduation ceremony for that?

crawdaddy likes this.