Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Grease Bucket

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JohnDarko, Feb 12, 2010.

Which is your favorite strat color?

1. Yellow

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Red

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Black

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. White

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. JohnDarko

JohnDarko Strat-Talk Member

Hi I recently installed this circuit on my strat and I don't know if this why but I feel my guitar less responsive and articulated like if it responded always with almost the same punch and also I think I lost sustain, I need to put my amp volume almost in 2 and my guitar in 8 to get an agresive tone and not so hi output sounds like SRV tone but without the warm , like colder but also bighter sound, with higher output and piercing highs and when I roll the tone off doesn't sound natural to me, the tone knobs controls the bridge and neck pups, my old pots had diferent values I think lower values and I'm using dimarzio area 61 and 59 pups, If this circuit made this I don't recomend it. Or maybe I'm just overreacting and need to get used to it :confused: but I haven't found the sweet spot. I leave the circuit attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. JohnDarko

I also used a normal pot from the electronic parts store instead of the fender volume pot because the one from the circuit got broken :( , is the same value so I though it wouldn't make any diference, or the fender pots are in some way diferent?.

3. Grounded

Grounded Strat-O-Master

The grease bucket is standard on all Highway 1's. The HW1 has really hot pups so it works alright for that set-up. When I changed out my pups on my HW1 and left the grease bucket on, it dulled everything down, probably because there are so many drop caps in there.

So I ripped off all the caps and put on one standard .222 drop cap and the guitar opened up very nicely. far as I know the DiM's are lower output so they probably are geting "out of the bucket".

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A 0.222 or a 0.022 cap? A 0.222 cap would darken the guitar by an unreal amount...

6. Grounded

Grounded Strat-O-Master

Uhhh..without looking it up, its the Fender standard issue,uhhh.... wait a sec, I'll look it up...
    yeah thats .0222. sorry bout dat.

7. JohnDarko

Yes they are low output, so its because the caps it sounds without good feeling, I think I will have to change the circuit.

8. JohnDarko

.22uf cap

Thanks for the help, I will try a .22uf cap, which type o you recomend?

9. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Paper in oil is fast in response time. Why such a bright sounding cap in a strat?

10. JohnDarko

I meant .022.

11. Grounded

Grounded Strat-O-Master