Join Strat-Talk Today

Greetings from the Sunshine State

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JaxStratGuy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I attempted the guitar in high school and it didn’t go so well. Fast forward to my 40s and I decided to pick up the bass. I’ve been loving it and quickly built a family of both fretted and fretless basses. I’m really enjoying being able to play some music again (and it sounds like music). I’ve jumped feet-first into recording as well.

I started a quick acoustic guitar project with my instructor and really liked it so I decided to try my hand at the guitar again. He also added that many of his students study multiple instruments and felt that it would only help my bass playing.

I broke out my 90s Kramer with the Floyd Rose but realized I really wanted a Strat. I found a nice deal on one and picked up a Fender Super Champ X2. I like having tubes but don’t have a lot of room. I like the modeled amps but I’m considering taking it back for a Blues Jr.

Anyway, I’m a software development manager by trade so the nerd is strong in me. Outside of music, I enjoy photography and backcountry hiking.

Zathan, Nadnitram, vlxerdon and 8 others like this.
  2. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Greetings from an ex-Florida dweller.

3. Keith268

Keith268 Strat-Talker Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome in! This is a great place.

4. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

Hello Jax. I lived In the Pompano Area From 84 to 93 Liked it A lot. Learn'd to Surf There.

5. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Strat-Talker

Welcome from Albuquerque :D.
    I hope you get a great strat.

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to Strat-Talk! I used to do a lot of photography and backpacking myself.

7. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

8. JaxStratGuy

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@circles, I had the opportunity to visit your state in 2016. We camped and hiked the North Cascades. It was a little crazy because we were surrounded by wildfires and then found out there was a cat 5 hurricane bearing down on Florida when we got back to civilization. :eek:

@jaxjaxon I guess I should've listed surfing, too. But I haven't done it in a while. I actually tried my hand at shaping my own boards but it's difficult when you don't have a great place to glass them. I used a local shaper's place for a while but it was unreliable.

@JustABluesGuy, I love them both. I used to shoot professionaly (youth sports and some NCAA) but now I just do it for fun. Fortunately, we backpack some gorgeous places. I just finished working on the images from our last trip which was to the High Uintas area of Utah.

Looking forward to hanging out!

circles and JustABluesGuy like this.
  9. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to Strat-Talk. This is a great place to hang out. Thinking of getting a Blues Jr. myself.

10. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi Jax, welcome to ST.

11. nungesser

nungesser Prolix!Prolix Nothing a pair of scissors can't fix Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome Aboard!
    I lived on Marco Island when I was about five I remember fishing a lot and that's about it

12. riles1

riles1 Strat-Talker

Welcome! For a minute there, when I read Sunshine State I thought QLD Australia where I'm from.

13. JaxStratGuy

Thanks for the continued welcomes. @riles1, I’d be happy to visit at least. ;)

14. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Greetings from Ohio, also known as "pre-Florida."

Deathray likes this.
  15. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Welcome. And I think California is also known as the Sunshine State.. :)

16. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome :thumb:

17. Zathan

Zathan New Member!

Welcome! I'm new here too.
    Greetings from Denmark.

Nadnitram likes this.
  18. Deathray

Deathray Strat-Talker

Welcome, from Illinois!

I enjoy visiting the gulf coast, Sarasota particularly. My niece moved there recently, giving us another reason to visit that beautiful area. I’m a relatively new player as well, and started with a solid state amp. I soon went to a tube amp. I think you would enjoy a blues jr. I got a 15w Blackstar artist, a little larger cabinet than the blues jr, but the tone versatility blew me away. I got $100 off at Sam ash, so only a few $ more than the BJ. Food for thought. Enjoy your new strat!

19. JaxStratGuy

@Nadnitram, I might have a friend who agrees with you. She's from Columbus and has Buckeye fever bad!

@CalicoSkies, I think CA is stealing that from us. Funny thing is that it rains here a lot. I'm not sure how we got the name. :)

Thanks for the European welcomes, @garyhoos1 and @Zathan. I'd love to get back overseas to visit your countries.

@Deathray, Sarasota is cool. Much better beaches on the Gulf side rather than the Atlantic. The Blues Jr. is exactly what I've been eyeing and yesterday FedEx delivered a new Stage Right 15W which is supposed to be a Jr. clone. I got in late last night, though, and still haven't done much aside from turn it on and jam about 15 min. Still learning the controls. Loved how it sounded with the gain cranked and volume down around 2. I'm still really considering getting the real deal, though, and there's a CL ad that's teasing me. The seller dropped it $50 so it's sitting at $400 right now. I'll have to see if I can find a Blackstar. I've honestly been very impressed with them. I've played with their bass amps before and now I'm starting to check out their guitar rigs. Pretty good stuff.

20. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Florida has the 5th highest number of rain days per year of all the states. I'm pretty sure The Sunshine State is a tourist lure! Yep, it's pretty much in the topics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.