Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Ground wire to claw Q?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by jaybones, May 17, 2018.

1. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m having trouble soldering the ground wire to the trem claw.

I’d heard you need a strong enough iron and I’m using a 40 watt Weller. Before I got this I was using a Wal*Mart nontemperature controlled 110V iron. Thought that was my problem but since I got the Weller I flow a nice bead and it cools then releases. Using flux (Rubyfluid- local product) just makes it worse.

I’m wondering if I should drill a small hole and put the wire through it then flow solder.

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Surprised no one has jumped on this

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

I had to make the claw rough with sandpaper before I could get any solder to stick to it.

Stratoskater and ukoldgit like this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Heat the claw on your stove, then try soldering on it while still hot. The problem is that the claw is a very effective heat sink, but if you get it hot already there’s nowhere for the soldering iron heat to go and it’ll melt the solder.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    Drill a hole in the claw and bolt an automotive "O" crimp connector to it, you can then solder the crimp to the grounding wire, I sometimes install spade or bullet connector's under the pick guard to make it easy to disconnect and reconnect when changing pickup's etc (make sure you use the insulated one's though)

twotoneonevolume likes this.
  6. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Yes, sanding a small patch helps.

Stratoskater likes this.
  7. Black Strat Guy

Black Strat Guy Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Well... when i installed the Callaham claw on my CS50's strat i just scraped the chrome plating a bit on the claw on the soldering spot, used a bit of soldering paste, tine'd the wire, and soldered it to the claw with a small blob of solder. Same way you do on soldering a wire to the back of a pot.

Haven't got a clue to my iron wattage but i'm pretty sure it's not much

[​IMG]

8. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    If you have problems with solder sticking you need a little bit of acid, you can use good old aspirin, scrape a little from the pill to the metal and heat that with iron, there will be some nasty smoke and metal will be ready to solder.

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    It's not so much the wattage but the size and therefore the amount of heat energy the tip can hold and transfer to the work.
    I've used the 'heat over the stove' trick (cautiously).

If there's an existing blob of solder already on the claw it may have its flux cooked out and be harder to melt and flow.
    Heat over the stove and tap the old solder off and start fresh.
    I rarely have to use extra flux with good high grade 63/37 eutectic electronic solder.

10. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

If soldering the wire is a prob... simply wrap the ground wire around the post/hook (3-4 wraps) where the springs connect to the claw... then... slap the spring's hoop right down on the ground wire to hold it in place... that should do the trick :thumb:

Chief101 likes this.
  11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Good advice here.

Think I’ll use one of the unused spring anchors for a ground wire, wrap it around a few times then fold it over, and put a spade connector on it so the ground from the PG can plug in and be easily disconnected when I need to take it off.

12. kurher

kurher Strat-Talk Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Greece
    +1. Sometimes the plating doesn't like solder. A small razor can do the job.

13. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    I know people will laugh at the way the ground wire in attached to the claw on my old '71 Strat.
    The wire is just pinched between a tab on the claw that holds the spring and the spring itself; not soldered at all.
    It's been working that way for over 40 years.

S Mac

ChukkerNation likes this.