Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar buying habits

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by StrugglingStrum, Sep 3, 2017.

1. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talk Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    For the last few weeks I've wanted a new guitar. It's close to Labor Day and there's always coupons or discounts around. Then I realized I bought my last guitar on Labor Day and wondered if there was a pattern here. After I took a look it seems I tend to buy most of my stuff in early spring and fall. Does anyone else have buying habits?

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Yeah, anytime I got a dollar in my pocket

3. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

You and the rest of the world are buying:
    May-June, Aug-September, December holidays

StrugglingStrum likes this.

4. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Jan 30, 2016
    Fulton MO
    The last guitar i bought was back in 2004, so i would have to say that i must not have any guitar buying habits. I still need to ha e a tele though, so maybe ill break the cycle soon!

5. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    I buy used only so I buy whenever I find what I want

rich815, s5tuart, balston11 and 2 others like this.

6. Yaralag

Yaralag Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Colorado
    I usually get rid of a good one and replace it with two crappy ones. Seems to be a bad habit of mine.

7. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Unfortunately, breaking the habit of monthly (sometimes weekly or daily!) guitar purchases (and selling/trading) for the past 25 years has been extremely difficult. Its become an addiction to check the sales, ebay, craigslist, reverb, etc daily in search of the next score.

I built up too much of a collection and I hate it. Oh, I love the guitars I have - but buying and selling so much, many of the ones I have now are "keepers", which is ridiculous, plus now I have to sell a bunch of really nice guitars. Its overwhelming and has greatly taken me away from practicing / playing guitar. I wish for a day when I only have a few guitars to choose from and can focus on the music, not the gear.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I haven't bought a guitar since 2007, even then it was never a habit, I just needed a spare. I've never sold one either, had them stolen and given them away, but never sold.

9. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Same situation here. Less than a year ago I had one electric, one acoustic, one bass and no amp. Then I bought my first guitar in over 10 years along with an amp. That was actually a good thing because it got me interested in playing again. But slowly the GAS started. Now I'm spending too much of my valuable spare time maintaining guitars and fussing with pedals instead of playing. Part of me wishes I could go back to one or two guitars so I can focus on playing instead of maintaining a large collection of guitars and fussing with all the toys.

StrugglingStrum and Yaralag like this.

10. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    I only buy something if it's a killer deal or a "gotta have." I don't think I've ever bought a guitar over Labor Day. The sales for the most part seem pretty lame-- only 15 to 17% off.

I'd really like to sell at least 3 guitars we have now, but the hassles of selling them keep me in paralysis mode. 90% of the time, when I actually have time to play, the guitar I pick up is my Johnny Marr Jag, so having the others seems like a waste.

11. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talk Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    The only problem I have buying used is the uncertainty of the setup. This is usually only the case with acoustics. Electrics are easy to setup, but if you buy an acoustic with a jacked up neck angle or a saddle that needs to be sanded down it's a *****.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    lets see.....my strat years are as follows:
    the gaps in years are 6, 14, 3, and 3.
    if you add the numbers you get 17
    6+1+4+3+3=17

so, i should be getting another one by the end of 2017.

13. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    I compare my buying habits to how a big cat hunts: lazy and opportunistic. I have a loose idea of some models I want to get eventually, but rarely do I say, "I want X, and I'm going to save up and buy it."

I enjoy the element of surprise, so I leave it to fate to determine what crosses my path. If I find something that piques my interest and seems like a safe investment, I may go for it. Generally speaking these are less expensive imported guitars needing a little setup, which I find rewarding. And I find that my (relatively) expensive Gibson Firebird, which I always wanted saved for, takes a back seat to my Yamaha SG come gig time.

14. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    The only habit I have is buying guitars. If I see something I like and it is different than what I have, I'll buy it. ENJOY!!!

15. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    My last two purchases were a new strat from guitar center in January, and used strat from eBay the December before. I have no pattern, and I was blessed to have the $$$ at the time. Currently, all I can do now is window shop.

16. anderz

anderz Strat-O-Master

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    I don't think I ever had one as once I started to try and got experience trading in on a regular basis I found enough in what I like and dislike.

By the end of it 2001 with a Gibson Les Paul custom historic which I sold a few years later I tried what I wanted to besides the real keepers were still more interesting.

My Jackson Rhoads custom was as special as it became and exist only because of me. It felt like home from day one and still does.

Partscaster Blackie got measured up against two other real Fender Stratocasters and won on least the value then I started to notice how special it was.

Sounding great and always in tune + the only one in the world and a rather unique build neck, body and bridge.

So finding a guitar that could mean as much as a possible 3rd the odds are against it as I see it.

Most are variations on a theme which does not seem too interesting.

17. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2017
    France
    I only ever get guitars by trading them for paintings. About once a year for the last ten years. I'd never have the little collection I have now otherwise and I consider myself damn lucky to be able to do that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    It used to be that I'd make big music related purchases in January of February. That was before GC added a giant list of exclusions to the 15% coupon they would have regularly. Recent years it's all over the map...more recent guitar purchases have been in October (my PRS is now 1 year old!), May, and July...no real pattern any more.

Lately I've been playing so much I haven't had time to think about buying new gear. Only thing I'm on the lookout for now is a used amp for relatively cheap that I can leave at the rehearsal space.

19. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    The last two "Black Fridays", day after Thanksgiving sales got me. Bit of a pattern emerging maybe.