Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Guitar Cables

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gjohnson441496, Sep 13, 2018.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    I've gone through a ton of cables throughout my years playing bass and now guitar. All of my old cables are way too long averaging 20'. I bought a couple of 10' Dunlop-MXR cables that came via mail today and these are by far the best cables EVER. I can not believe the difference, for the better, in the tone, clarity, and volume of these Dunlop-MXR cables. They are noticeably thicker in diameter than my other cables, and being 10' I don't have to worry about them twisting and tangling up. I'm completely astounded and just want to let the forum know about these cables. I didn't know Dunlop-MXR made cables until 3 days ago.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...1729287-sku^J52344000001001@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

2. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the recommendation . I will try one .

gjohnson441496 and circles like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    How much difference is due to the length, 20' vs 10'? Or is that what you're attributing to the difference?

4. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talker

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    Generally, a decent 20' feet and plus cable with average capacitance shall start to exhibiting a slight loss of high frequency.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Well...
    the poor signal quality apparently being attributed to 20' cables is more likely the result of an ultra thin pin conductor (the wire attached to the pin) and a half assed shielding job...both of which are endemic of cheap manufacturing.

Good quality instrument cable will use a pin conductor that is relatively heavy, made of copper or a copper-silver alloy, and shielded with both a graphite (di-electric), and metallic (copper) braid that is dense and thoroughly encompasses the di-electric.

Cable like that, the signal loss at 100 feet would be negligible... undetectable with anything other than very sophisticated instrumentation.

Add to that, high quality plugs, like the Amphenol ACPM (about $3.50US), and one will never have cable issues as long as they aren't abused. Like dropping the plugs on to a hard surface.

As for tripping over long cables...?
    i got nothin...

gjohnson441496 and circles like this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    I use name brand, higher quality (not the most $$) cables. Now that I think of it, I don't own any really cheap cables. Fender, Peavey and Monster. I buy them from local stores, and I guess they only carry better stuff. I think my longest cables are 25', most are 20', and a few 10's. A very few times, 25' wasn't long enough to DI to a board, had to borrow the soundman's 30'. Couldn't tell a difference, but they always have quality cables too. I could probably use another 10', maybe I'll try one of these and see.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  7. gjohnson441496

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    I think it makes a difference, but the MXR cables are thicker than any other cable I've seen, and I have 15 footers which didn't do anything for the sound. The MXR's seem to be very high quality.

8. gjohnson441496

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    Please do try the MXR's if you need new cables and tell me what you think. I'm telling you, there's a very noticeable difference in what I'm hearing.

tery likes this.