Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar Center lessons

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by ryunker, May 11, 2018.

1. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Has anyone here taken any private guitar lessons at your local GC?

If so did you stick with the plan?

If not, why?

I have taken many lessons, mostly at the local junior college. Very knowledgeable instructors and my knowledge has grown tremendously, but thinking to diversify.

As far as theory, building chords along with correct fingering and fingering clean nice chords I am doing ok. But that's kind of where I am stuck, at least for now.

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka R.P.M. (Retired Professional Musician) Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Private lessons, whether at GC or anywhere else, depend on the experience of the instructor and the instructor's ability to connect with the student and the students goals. So...go down and talk to them and tell 'em where you want to be and ask if they can help you get there. :)

tery, abnormaltoy, bhr17 and 2 others like this.

3. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

And pay attention to the answer...
    An assurance is as meaningless as avoiding an answer altogether.

A good instructor will need to know about you, and how you learn. Do you want books or demonstration sort of thing.

Some teach by merely giving one specific songs to learn, progressing through different conceptualizations without ever letting on that what one is really doing is getting doses of theory disguised as a song...

... while others prefer to help a student grasp the mechanism of building a song; in terms of one's technical ability and one's intellect (knowledge) base.

There really isn't a right and wrong way; it's about what works for you. A good teacher will seek to identify that and use it.

abnormaltoy and Bob the builder like this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I personally wouldnt take lessons at gc. why? because if they hire so called "techs" that cant even set up a guitar properly, I question anyone they would hire as a "guitar teacher".

rich815 and nickmsmith like this.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    Yep. I would only take a total beginner there, tbh. Maybe in a bigger metro area, they have more qualified people at their GC.

heltershelton likes this.

6. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    im sure there are probably a few good teachers here and there at gc, but it would be a roll of the dice. best to ask around and find the real ones in whatever town youre in.

7. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

You get that the advice, commentary, suggestions were - are geared towards the prospective student interviewing the prospective teacher as the prospective teacher interviews the prospective student...yes?

Where one happens to find that connection is largely irrelevant. GC, mom & pop, best friend's sister...well maybe not there but...

I was walking down (or up, I can never get it right) West 57th in NYC in the mid 80s and passed a fellow playing Sax on a corner. He did a melodic run that I was thoroughly captivated by so I stopped and waited until he finished the piece and asked him to repeat the line a few times because I really wanted to hear it...to "get" it. He did and now it's a passing phrase I use often that works over a lot of stuff. I gave him $30.00 for the 'lesson'.

My point is, it ain't the 'where', but the 'what' that matters. If a person, who happens to be a terrific teacher, can only find a place to ply their expertise at a guitar center...and guitar center happens to be the only place around with teaching facilities....

Bob the builder likes this.

8. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    They are expensive. A month, (4) 1/2 hr lessons for $169. (4) 1 hr lessons for $199. They have little claustrophobic cubicles that you go into. Keeps out the shredding noise. I didn't try the lessons, just got the info from a salesman.

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yep. My son is getting ready to begin lesson sand instead of GC I signed him up at our local "Mom & Pop" boutique store, Harry's Guitar Shop. The instructors are independent contractors, the rooms are large (10x10 or bigger) and it's $30 for a half hour lesson.

10. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    If you know a few local working musicians, you may be able to get some decent references for teachers from them.

11. ryunker

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    I tried local pop shop few years ago, and it did not mesh. Dude insisted on music that I did not know or even enjoy.

Last night was my intro lesson and I am intisapating next Sunday. Similar cash as you listed

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I interviewed the local GC teachers. Nice folks, one was quite 'in depth' with me and what I wanted. I looked at their teaching materials and they're are reasonably well laid out, etc. Lessons @ GC are too expensive though. Standard mom&pop here is $25/30min. They wanted $42/30 min.

Stratoskater likes this.

13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    The local shop here are independent contractors so I pay them directly and I/my son can dictate what the lessons will cover. If we don't like the teacher we fire him and the shop has 4-6 others to choose from. I am just looking for beginner lessons for him to start so choice of music will not be an issue. After he has the basics I will teach him form there since I have been playing for 28 years. In the beginning however I have found my son will not listen to me about fundamentals, happened with golf, rock climbing and skiing. After he gets the basics he is fine following my instructions.

On a related note I will say the most I ever got out of lessons was in college when an instructor made me work on jazz stuff. At the time I hated it and only wanted to play rock n roll. Now I realize how great it was, how much it taught me about music itself since I had to actually learn different chords/voicing's and scales instead of just learning songs in a genre I was already familiar with.

Bob the builder likes this.

14. ryunker

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Wow here it's $25 for 30 mins at GC, wonder why your store is different?

15. Black Strat Guy

Black Strat Guy Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    :eek::eek::eek: Man..... i'm clearly in the wrong business....:confused:

16. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

So you didn’t want to wax on/wax off or paint the fence? ;)

Bowmap likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Around here there’s an outfit called California Music Studios that I get my guitar and voice lessons from. They’re an agency that employs musicians as contractors; my teachers have worked in the industry (my voice teacher only does this since becoming a mother, my guitar teacher is actively gigging). Check your area and see if there’s something similar, it’s been good.
    I highly recommend getting lessons, if for no other reason than the accountability. When life gets in the way, quite often the thing that gets you to open the case is knowing that you have a lesson Thursday that you need to get ready for.

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    Paperback Rocker likes this.

18. ryunker

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    I am an old guy, there is music from my youth I did not like then or even close to five decades later...

He was all about Beatles, that did nothing for me. He did not believe me when I don't recognize riffs he was playing.

Update, dude teacher at the GC local, seams to get it. So far.

He has me doing rhythms in the key of G. I, V, vi, IV on two different complex patterns, that was Sunday and I am happy to say, "making music"

rich815 likes this.