Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar sayings/terms that you think are weird or dumb

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Nov 13, 2017.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    [​IMG]

john lavelle likes this.

2. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Never gigged.

I guess that being taken onto stage and played for a few hours would mean it has more potential damage and abuse then being played anywhere else.

In my experience, people who gig take better care of their instruments. And since most places are nonsmoking now (at least in Ohio for the past couple decades or so) the nicotine that would age the finishes (as well as the skin and body of the breather) that wouldn't be a concern.

Nicotine damage could be as likely in someone's non-gigging places.

albala likes this.

3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Most people are right-handed but most guitars are left-handed...or do I have that backwards in reverse?

4. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Not sure what you mean? Handedness of guitars refers to the strumming hand. Most guitars are right-handed, and right-handed guitar players would strum with their right hand.

5. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Yeah , but the left hand does all the hard work, so should'nt our right hand guitars really be referred to as left hand guitars?

stratman323 likes this.

6. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

How about when people say 'pups'??

You talking about pickups or puppies?? :D

T Bone Slort likes this.

7. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    That's not always true. If you're fingerpicking, then the right hand is going to be doing a good amount of work. In some ways, fingerpicking might be harder work than pushing the strings down to form a chord.

8. jaybones

Vintage.

Everything is vintage. Yesterday's newspaper is vintage, specifically yesterday's vintage.

9. jaybones

Truss rod is free.

Really? But I have to pay for the rest of the guitar...

QMTstrat likes this.

10. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    OK, 'headroom' is best regarded in any sound system you don't want to distort as the safety margin between the optimum operating level for a signal and the onset of clipping. Knowing how much headroom there is in an analogue mixing desk important if you want to get the most signal through it you can (hence with the lowest noise) without making everything sound fuzzy and distorted.

The concept also applies to guitar amps, but the criteria for what is desirable is somewhat different. A small valve/tube amp with a hot preamp stage won't have much headroom. As a result, it will probably be great for doing Gary Moore impressions in your home studio, but absolutely useless for getting clean chords on even a small gig.

The flip side of that is a 100W head often has so much headroom, that there is no way it will achieve 'rock hero' tones in a small club because the level through its circuits have to be set so low, the valves in the power section are almost idling, rather than driving into the natural compression that happens when the amp is turned up high.

stratman323, Neil.C and Hairy Bear like this.

11. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Earlville, IL 60518

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    What can you say bad about those?
    IMG_2577.JPG

13. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    I love it when people say that the vibration going into the body produces better tone and sustain. When tone is completely subjective, and sustain means the STRING vibrates more, not the body.

Ebidis and henderman like this.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    This is what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting. Not only did you make the same joke, you even grabbed the same photo.
    Great minds?

john lavelle and CalicoSkies like this.

15. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

Aug 8, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    "The way Leo built it" If you have something as simple as a 5 way switch in your guitar, its not how Leo built it, its how CBS built it. Dumb dumb dumb dumb statement.

16. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    There have been many instances of left handed people that play right handed cuz they could not get a lefty guitar and there have been instances where right hander's play a left handed guitar cuz in their mind they thought it would be logical to use their strong hand to fret with.

Then there is Michael Angelo Batio who is a freak of freaks and does whatever he wants.

mshivy likes this.

17. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    Fretting out. I can get worried but I have never fretted out.

john lavelle likes this.

18. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    Synesthesia... :)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

19. avri70

avri70 Strat-Talker

May 29, 2014
    planet earth
    Yes...I always think Twain when I someone mentiones twang and I do not like Shanaia Twain or country music in general. :(
    That sort of puts my tele into a corner that I don't want it to be in. I also don't like it when someone wants to try it out and immediately starts playing a country song "because hey its a telecaster"

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    2-Finger likes this.

20. 2-Finger

2-Finger Strat-O-Master

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    Yeah!! For me telecasters mean Rock & Punk & Blues!!! :thumb:

Hairy Bear and avri70 like this.