Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

HALP: NGD, pickup issues

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by MGriff240, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey everyone,

So I snagged a deal on this ESP Tele, which I was planning on putting some work into anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has Seymour Duncan STL-1S Vintage Tele Bridge/Neck Pickups, so I was happy with that. What I'm not happy with is this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The height screw holes are completely stripped, so much so that the screws don't even grab at all and can freely move. Obviously, I can't mount it properly this way.

How can I go about fixing that? My only thought was to get a slightly larger screw and hope that would grab, but any other way?

Other pics for fun:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

HNGD !

Well hopefully with enough play in the wire leads you can have the pickguard up high enough to work underneath.

I would think there are rubber tube or springs with it. That being the case, there is no reason you can get nuts for the screws and put them under the flatware. Take one with you if you don't have any, but most likely a 6-32.

You may have to lift it up a tad and sneak in there to hold the nuts with something so they don't spin on you when you have the strings on if you have to play with heights after that's all.

Something else you could try is holding the nuts in place ( no spin) by hot gun gluing them there. Just tack the outer hex of the nut.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    alainvey and MGriff240 like this.

3. MGriff240

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Great idea, didn't think about that. :thumb:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. sjtalon

You may re-read my post, I have been editing it.

MGriff240 likes this.

6. MGriff240

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    More good ideas! Appreciate the help. :thumb:

7. sjtalon

My pleasure, happy pickin' !

Looks nice.

8. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    Hot glue would be my choice or a thin coating of epoxy on the face of the nut to stick it to the pickup.

9. bigc

bigc Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2015
    nc
    What about another pickguard without the screw holes and mouth the pickup to the body like most fender teles?

Green Craig, Stratoskater and Ebidis like this.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I agree with the epoxy. Put a very light coating of machine oil on the screw and thread it into the nut before you do this though; you don't want to get epoxy in the threads or else it's game over.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Such a PITA to adjust pickup height; that's why most of them now are actually screwed to the guard.
    If I had a body-mount setup, I'd change the guard to pickup mount. Except for my Cab, those screws are in the open anyways.

MGriff240 and Ebidis like this.

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You have a cab? I wanna see. :)

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    That's a good idea: Note: I would epoxy the nuts to the back of the pup plate.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

14. MGriff240

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Went and got screws/nuts/epoxy, came home, and new screws thread just fine, so no need for any tricks. :D

Having never played a Tele for more than a minute, it's...interesting. It sounds good in all three positions and can do everything relatively well...But I can't quite figure out what it's great at yet. Time will tell. :cool:

bigc likes this.

15. bigc

bigc Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2015
    nc
    Aw, it ain't that bad, you don't even need to loosen the strings to take the guard off, then adjust, and you should be good untill your setup changes!

16. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

If you plan on keeping and using that pick up......Get a black card that you no longer need like some kinda gift card.Cut four pieces and crazy glue them to the top and under side of the pup over the stripped screw holes.Let dry overnite and make new holes thru the stripped screw hole area.Works like a charm.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Count me firmly in the "minor, routine adjustments should not require disassembly" camp. That's just poor design, especially when the fix is so simple.

18. bigc

bigc Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2015
    nc
    I fully understand, but I like the sleekness of it without the screws.... I guess it's just a sign of the times, like how alot of older cars had the fuel cap hidden behind the bumper or tag bracket. Sure, it was more of a hassle to fill up, but it looked better!

But yeah, screws on the guard are easier...