Join Strat-Talk Today

Hangers or Stands.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by garyhoos1, Mar 15, 2019.

1. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

i thought recently a good edition would be hangers but I don’t like it one bit the headstock seems to slip and rest on the tuner peg or maybe it’s a crap hanger I prefer stands any thoughts on decent hangers ?

E15CE662-BE14-4FCE-9C05-982931EA2841.jpeg

Supernut likes this.
  2. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talk Member

I use hangers instead of stands because they keep my guitars up out of the way. My guitars are in my shop and putting them on the floor would be an accident waiting to happen. The hangers I use are different than the one in your picture, but no better. I have a machine shop. I guess I'll have to invent a better hanger.

4stratshere and garyhoos1 like this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

It’s a problem with most hangers and Fender headstock, except, I think, the CBS big Strat one’s. Never found a good answer. I use a Hercules floor stand double hanger and my Tele especially always looks close to slipping through. Manufacturers should be able to come up with a narrower support for Fenders or possibly an add on adaptor.

garyhoos1 likes this.
  4. garyhoos1

I am sure someone on here can come up with something I never realised they were so ill fitting this maybe a light bulb moment in the shed thing lol.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I tried two different hanger types one was Hercules, the other I don't remember, didn't use either for this very reason, I have a stand or two somewhere here, I did use a stand , and our puppy at the time chewed the cover off the trem bar ( true story ) but also my place is like a railway station and I don't have the luxury of a special close up room.
    I now use hard cases. My guitars are safe and it's really not a hassle.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

diogoguitar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  6. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talk Member

I use both but I make my own wood hangers. The problem with most hangers is they are to wide where the neck sets! Not many necks are over 1.75" at the nut but they seem to make all the openings 2.25"+. It makes it easier to get a guitar in without banging it on the sides but is a no go for teles small headstock.

I originally made my hangers with a 2.25" opening just like the store bought ones. They worked well for strats and LP. Then I started building teles & realized that wouldn't work. For the ones a bit too wide I put thick self adhesive felt pad where the headstock sets to shrink the opening. I gave my newer ones with a 2" opening to a friend but they work much better with a tele.

[​IMG]

Eric

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. garyhoos1

I was thinking on the lines of making my own, nice simple and effective job there.

EAllen and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Nice work Eric

EAllen likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a stand where the guitar I'm playing goes if I need to put it down for a minute, but otherwise they are kept in cases. Safer and much less earache from "The Management".

Kosh, Neil.C, Keith268 and 5 others like this.
  10. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

My hangers were dirt cheap from Amazon. They have two foam covered hooks that can rotate, but stay in position with the weight of the guitar. You start them parallel for Les pauls, and for fenders I just nudge the left hook lower than the right and it rests just fine.

These are very similar - Guitar Hanger Hook, G-i-Mall Guitar Display Bracket Wall Mounted Guitar Wall Hanger Hook Holder Fits All Guitars, Bass , Banjo, Etc (5 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWWRDT0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Pp4ICb66VXTHV

11. garyhoos1

I have finally got my own room lol

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Strat-Talker

You might wanna go on Shark Tank with that :thumb:

EAllen likes this.
  13. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Just to show - el cheapo hangers from Amazon...

IMG-1373.JPG IMG-1374.JPG

14. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Hangers keep the guitars up and more protected against damage than stands. Get dogs or kids around stands and the guitar will be tipped over pretty quickly.

I use the shovel and rake hangers from Harbor Freight. On Teles and a little on Strats, but Teles especially, I rotate the hanger 30 degrees so it matches the hanging profile of the Tele headstock. The guitars hang fine.

If you're a nitro person you'll need to put some small socks over the vinyl dip or you'll burn the nitro off where it touches. The 'guitar' hangers and stands out there are a risk too as some are no problem while others have enough chemistry to attach nitro. I don't do nitro so I don't have that worry.

Make sure you find wall studs for your hangers to dig into. If the wall studs are not where you want, you can use a board strip where you can put hangers relative to the guitars no the wall construction. In my old hanger you can see the screws in the plank next to the Junior and SG.
    [​IMG]

dbolt, EAllen and garyhoos1 like this.
  15. garyhoos1

I’m so wrapped up in spirit levels and levels my civils background I would never have thought of that looks like it is el cheapo by a nose at the moment.:thumb:

16. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to have hangers all over the house.

these days I dont. I honestly got tired of having guitars in every room sitting there looking like art work.

I tend to keep three out of their cases, on a rack. the rest are stored away in cases in the basement for a rainy day.

I have three electrics in the basement jam room on a rack, a parlor acoustic behind the arm chair in the living room, an old gibson tenor banjo under the couch in its case, and a few random instruments my great grandfather made on display (dulcimer, turtle shell banjo, some Russian triangle guitar)

Neil.C, Stratoskater and garyhoos1 like this.
  17. garyhoos1

One for every occasion there lovely guitars, hell of a hanger too.

18. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

20190315_074626.jpg I prefer Hercules hangers

20181121_221527.jpg 20181121_221618.jpg

dbolt, EAllen and garyhoos1 like this.
  19. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

20. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

There are hangers where the sides swivel in to grip the base of the headstock, IDK if yours is that way or not. All of the ones I have are that way, they'll fit anything from a classical to a ukelele.

I like hangers for guitars that fit well in them, I feel they're safer than stands and you don't have to move them to sweep. Oh, and they look neater, stands add to visual clutter especially when they get cobwebs on 'em.

But if the hanger doesn't fit well with a particular headstock, that instrument doesn't go on the hanger. My P-Bass doesn't--the headstock widens out on one side before it widens out on the other, so the hanger has to turn sideways and it just seems awkward. From the pic, your tele might not fit well either.

garyhoos1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.