Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hardest bands to cover

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarface, Sep 13, 2017.

1. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Yes, that's the point of a cover. IMO. I'll have to give Stevie's we can work it out another listen. I'm only vaguely familiar with it. But generally, I'm looking for something that makes me say wow, I never thought of that song that way, but it's still that song.

2. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    There is a local Steely Dan cover band that actually has the blessing of Becker (R.I.P.) and Fagin, Aja Vu:

http://www.ajavu.com/

They have a link to the Becker interview on their page - Confidentially, as great as they play I think that B/F were struck dumb by how beautiful Robyn is, the pics on their site don't do her justice.

3. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Lena Horne and Gabor Szabo improve this throwaway

Uncle Bob likes this.

4. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    For a long time you had to know 'Kid Charlemagne' to prove your meddle out here in LA. Steely Dan is tough stuff.

I have attempted Mahavishnu Orchestra covers many times. They are very difficult pieces to perform with any clarity in a group situation.

Seen some really terrible versions of 'I'll See the Light Tonight' (just...no yngwie jr), 'The Trooper' ( uh you are doing different trills every time there dude), '2112' (uh...no) and the classic butchery of 'Bark at the Moon' (I think Jake is sleeping soundly there buddy)

BallisticSquid likes this.

5. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Strat-O-Master

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    That's cool!

Becker and Fagan are great enough, but then throw in the fantastic guitarists they'd bring in like Larry Carlton or Jeff Skunk Baxter...egads!! My band had "Realin' In the Years" in their list of songs they did in the past. Great tune, not sure I got the chops for it to be honest.

Any band that successfully pull of Steely Dan tunes immediately impress me!!

6. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    MO...that's insane man!!! That's some sick stuff.

There are some things on the guitar that the thought of trying to play never even enters my mind...Mahavishnu Orchestra is one of them :). I love to listen to I though.

7. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    It helps to have 40+ years experience if somebody wants to tackle SD material. It isn't for the faint of heart.

On a personal note, When Jim (the band leader in Aja) got married to his current wife they had the ceremony at the Fox Theater in Redwood City.

It was absolutely the best wedding I've ever attended because there was a minimum of ceremony and a maximum of music.

They had a little jazz trio play as everybody got there, did the ceremony (20 minutes, tops) a local cover band Drive opened up and after they got everybody in the mood just about everybody who had played w/ Jim at one point or another rotated on and off stage doing all kinds of covers from top 40 to Motown. Aja and guests finished it out till the wee hours.

Funniest thing for me was how if you're accustomed to seeing someone in a certain context and you encounter them in a completely different context, there can be a certain amount of confusion - standing at the bar, wearing a suit looking at a guy and thinking "he's familiar, but..." and he's looking at you thinking the same thing because neither of you have ever seen the other wearing a proper suit...even though you played in a band 20 years earlier- that happened to me at that wedding.

8. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I was in a band or two in high school (early to mid-1970's) and we attempted to cover some Yes, Genesis and Emerson Lake & Palmer with varying degrees of success.
    Vocals were always the biggest challenge.

9. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Yes and Genesis are more bands that it never occurs to me to learn their music. ELP...I can play Lucky Man :).

Being in a band in HS trying to tackle those is quite a tall order!

10. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

11. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Partscasters are a joy. Strat-Talk Supporter

The Foo Fighters...After Glastonbury 17.

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Personally, I have trouble arranging music for a small ensemble that was played by a huge one.

Take Stevie Wonders Superstition for example. Every guitar player can play that riff. Lots of keyboardists kinda can. The bass line is dirt simple. But, I have not been in a band where we were able to get it right.

I believe its cause he has multi layered keys, horns (a biggie) and the overall feel is of a bunch of layered instruments grooving hard together.

I love Stevie Wonder and would piss myself if a band I was in could pull off Superstition, I Wish, Sir Duke, Higher Ground etc.

Por ejemplo

13. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    The multitracks for this from the original recording are available (or were) on the 'net. I used them to record my cover. There were I believe 5 keyboard tracks and they weren't sparse ones either. Some of the funkiest stuff I have ever heard. It's incredible what is going on in that track. He played the drums also, and to listen to those in isolation is pretty amazing.

amstratnut likes this.

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ive checked some out. The guy is a genius and national treasure.

s5tuart and BallisticSquid like this.

15. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    This Town Needs Guns. I'd like to see someone cover one of theirs convincingly.

16. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

"And how many songs
    Does it work with besides
    All Along The Watch Tower..."

Agreed. Thats a tough one. Seemingly simple. But the band/sections must play in sync.

17. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I'm so confused. Have been from the start, here. Even thought I bailed out of my previous post.

Point it is...

I "cover" anything. "Imitate" nothing.

18. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN

19. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I suppose it was Squid Man, but the keyboard player was / is a classically-trained child prodigy (he's now a music professor at Columbia U.) and the drummer is just a magically talented multi-instrumentalist and vocalist. I was kind of along for the ride as we tried to emulate some of the bands we admired most.

20. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    All the Boston tribute bands I've heard sound like parodies.

Chont likes this.