Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

hardtails ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ladynational, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Ladynational

Ladynational Strat-Talk Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Westcoast Canada
    SO I am looking at this 77 hardtail Strat.
    I own a tele. I love my tele. But I have this hankering for this hardtail I am looking at. I play slide. I am going to go get it..

Comments anyone? anyone out there in the know?

2. Bundini

Bundini Former Member

May 26, 2009
    Seattle USA
    I started a thread "hardtails vs trems" a few days ago. Some interesting comments there.

I have a hardtail and IMO it does not sound as resonate as my tremelo Strats.

Nanaimo eh?

3. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    Check the weight of this guitar before you buy it. You could end up with an aching shoulder! Those 70's Strats can be HEAVY.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Not a bad idea, again, if it is light enough in weight.

Two ways of rationalizing this. Trem assemblies weight a LOT, so any guitar with an inertia block is gonna tend to weigh more. 10 ounces more, maybe less in the "Die Cast Bridge" years.

But. What if you're Fender and you have a blank you just cannot in good conscience also add that additional weight to? Do you make that blank a hardtail body? Other folks say FMIC did not really care, since some people thought really heavy guitars produced the biggest tone while heavy with effects.

So, check the weight; don't just assume it is too heavy.

But yeah, slide and hardtails go together great, I think!

5. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Dec 19, 2008
    Chandler, AZ

6. Ladynational

Aug 13, 2009
    Westcoast Canada
    Yup, Nanimo, Know the place? I hav a Tele, super nice one, but I like the clean face on the hardtail as far as switvhes go. i fingerstyle lots and have alot of right hand movement, the Tele is always getting bumped switches.. Or accidentally turned down!!!
    Hate to modify it cause its a custom shop Tele..

7. Ladynational

Aug 13, 2009
    Westcoast Canada
    Country and Western jazz slide baby with some blues rolling around in the corners holding it down...Of course.
    Its the slide thats my machine.. I just have such a weakness for guitars, but really i want to have one and only ONE main guitar for slide..and it's my hope that this one will fulfill my earful desires.. but there will always be that silent need for a strat with a floyd rose.

8. phildobbin

phildobbin Strat-Talker

Jun 22, 2009
    London, England
    I hard tailed my Strat with a block of mahogany & two extra trem springs & she rings like a bell. I play slide on her (I've a cheap Recording King resonator as well) & always carry a brass Zippo just in case ;-). In my experience, hard tail's always make better slide whispers. YMMV... have fun!

9. Ladynational

Aug 13, 2009
    Westcoast Canada
    Thanks for that! Thats what I like to hear..
    I carry a slide everywhere too. The day I found the 'hardtail , I just got a blue bottle cut from a glass guy i know, It doesnt work too well, but it stays in the glovvey of the truck,, anyhow, I cut the slide, walked next door and Voila! hardtail!
    Mustve known it was there..