Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Has sex always sold music?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Dec 7, 2018.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Lately, as a songwriter I feel like the only way to write a hit is to somehow stir the pot with sex and controversy. I mean really at the end of the day, people 'listen' with their eyes. Almost all top 40 artists today are sexy young women, their actual singing ability comes second. Since Madonna, I think it's been that way. Even before that with Dolly Parton...

In 2019 it's almost impossible to write a hit song without that element it seems, not like before.

2. StratEdgy

StratEdgy Strat-Talk Member

Jul 13, 2017
    NW Coast USA
    If I paid for sex, I couldn't afford any music.:D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

I wouldn't agree with your statement 100%...It's true that Dolly had a pair of big eye catching advantages, & yes, Madonna changed her image in a revealing way every-time, along with a number of other females.

But you must remember that the competition is tough, & generally male dominated too.

I don't think anyone minds a pretty lady showing-off her allures to get the attention.

There's also been plenty of other female artists that haven't had to do such things, as they've had the talent. ( eg Blondie, the Fleetwood Mac girls, Tina Arena, Tina Turner, Kim Carnes etc etc etc ).

And don't forget that record companies may help in these revealing decisions to make, for advertising purposes of course.

Ciao,

Rastus

mikej89 likes this.
  4. mikej89

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I get what you're saying sir, but I think of country music for instance... Nowadays country music is ruled by Taylor Swift; a cute blondie... In the 70s guys like Merle Haggard could make it without blonde hair and any sex appeal. They just made music...

circles likes this.
  5. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Oh for sure it's an encouraged cash-in, there's no doubt.

"Make hay while the sun shines"....

Why not get yourself a pretty young & capable girl up-front singing your tunes ?...

Take the current trend as being an indicator as what you need to get in the business...

( Think selling your soul to the devil...Crossroads...).

mikej89 likes this.
  6. mikej89

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Hey Rastus, as a young songwriter I feel the only way to write a hit is to market a sexy young woman... I mean really, if people just cared about good music than how come Britney Spears is a household name and great jazz musicians like Allan Holdworth aren't?

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    That would surely depend entirely on the household?

8. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    I can't help thinking that you are writing with the intention of having a "hit". Eric Clapton became a multimillionaire by wanting to be the best guitar player he could, not trying to become rich.

Perhaps you should focus on the quality of the song rather than trying to emulate songs that you hear all of the time in the charts.

Most of those songs are crap anyway, and anyone who has ever played to an audience will confirm that a good proportion of them have no idea what they are listening to, unless it's the crap that they like. Keep on writing on. The cream will always rise to the top. Good luck

Lone Woof, cshere and StratMike10 like this.
  9. mikej89

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Absolutely sir... I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sex always wins when it comes to music. Half the guitarists on this forum can play some lead over jazz fusion, BUT that doesn't sell...

10. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Of course sex always sold music, as well as other stuff. Just look at the audience from one of the early Elvis concerts, or Beatles, or Stones, or Robbie Williams, or Backstreet Boys...

11. mikej89

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    So, when Clapton did this song he had no intention of writing a hit or making $$$??? LOL.

12. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland

I suspect that you might be missing my point. Or, I'm not articulating myself correctly.

Most of the very successful musicians (songwriters) get on the ladder of success by writing a great song. Once on the ladder, they have clearly created a fan base which will listen to whatever they write. My example of EC is, I believe, valid. He has produced a good number of mediocre tracks, but his fan base continues to buy his music. And, what I consider to be mediocrity, might be great for new listeners. That's how the world goes around.

Keep writing, and if your songs are good enough some day you might just achieve your goal.

life is tough,and until you truly believe and accept that, you will find life a pain.

13. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    Dolly Parton’s biggest hits were in the 70’s before she had all her enhancements done. She made great music. Patsy Cline came before her and made Willie Nelson famous.

Sure sex sells. It alway has.

jaybones and mikej89 like this.
  14. mikej89

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Actually as a big Clapton fan myself I never judge artists for selling out. This is probably the peak of EC selling out in the 80s but I still love it and want to share it with you! (Phil Collins on drums)

15. mikej89

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Dolly had enhancements? Wow, didn't know...

Nate D likes this.
  16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Strat-O-Master

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    The words/phrase jazz, reggae, rock and roll are all sexual in nature. The waltz was considered a highly sexual dance when it started.
    People rioted at the 1913 premiere of Stravinsky's "Rite Of Spring" because it was thought to be too sexual. So, yes.

Lone Woof and circles like this.
  17. omahaaudio

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    You're doing it wrong. Don't pay for sex, charge for it.

18. omahaaudio

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    And songs like "Let's Chase Each Other Around The Room". Nothing sexual about that, oh no...

19. omahaaudio

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    Dolly Parton has never been a "small" woman.

Nate D and Bodean like this.
  20. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Yes, and in more ways than you are referring to. As a teenager, I never would have payed to take voice lessons if my girlfriend had not already been taking them. All of it was sexy. Doing those warm up exercises together, seeing each other's chests fill with air, rising and falling, concentrating on getting our breathing in sync during those sappy or romantic duets, listening to each other's breathing, meeting her eyes for the cues, and the things it could lead too...

montemerrick likes this.