Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Have 3 pointers ruined The NBA?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    It just annoys me how much 3 point shooting there is. I'm actually wondering if the 3pt line makes any sense at all. In football, whether you score a touchdown on a 1yd run or 50yd pass, it's 6 points either way. I think the 3pt line gives too much incentive for everyone to shoot the long ball all the time. It's not as entertaining as players using their athleticism to cut through defenders and get in the paint.

circles likes this.

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I kinda thought it was basketball ruined the NBA.
    You'll accurately glean the knowledge that I'm not a BacketBaw fan...

Paperback Rocker and Biddlin like this.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Have 3 pointers ruined The NBA?
    Nope.

It's part of the game and pretty much always has been. It's a part of the game based on skill and strategy rather than brute force. You may as well compare B-ball to competitive skeet shooting as Football; they're just different sports.

ocean and thomquietwolf like this.

5. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Especially when they miss so many like the Celtics did this weekend against Cleveland. I was yelling at my TV "Stop shooting threes!!"

mikej89 likes this.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I think they should add half court shots for 5 points, and if you bounce the ball off of anything but the backboard first and it goes in they should give you 10.

ocean, mikej89, alainvey and 2 others like this.

7. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't stand when teams, like my Knicks, can't defend the 3.

mikej89 and craigh like this.

8. Bodean

Bodean I'm So Dope I'm Illegal in 55 States Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Calling fouls ruins it. they should go full contact. Just like the old Pistons teams.:D

9. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    I’ve been saying that for years. The 3 point shot is from the ABA. Ruined the fast break. Perhaps the solution would be to only allow it 3 point shot during the last 2 minutes of each half.

mikej89 and Paperback Rocker like this.

10. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    I lost interest in the NBA in my 20’s. It just didn’t seem like the same caliber league as it was in my childhood.
    However, it is coming back around for me now.

For a time there, it seemed like everyone wanted leave after their freshman year to go and make the big bucks. Some guys were that good. But most of them could have stayed in college for another year or two or three. A lot of young guys all trying to make a name for themselves and get the next huge endorsement deal. I thought it took a lot away from the chemistry of the game.

I’m not a Kentucky fan, but think of the teams they would’ve had if all those guys stuck around for at least 3 years. Talk about dynasty. It just takes away from the college game when these guys leave early. No pride or desire to leave a lasting mark on the game. They all just use it as a boost to chase the money. To each their own I guess. I’m sure it’d be hard to turn it down when your 19 or 20. Never had to really work, just play the sport you love.

I love the 3 point shot, and think the game would be boring without it. Keeps it interesting. I wouldn’t be against the NCAA passing a rule stating that basketball athletes had to remain in college for an “x” amount of years. Or the NBA saying you had to be a certain age to join.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Drugs and thugs aren't doing the NBA any good either. Name a team that doesn't have a convicted domestic abuser on the roster? And if you're not a fan, having to deal with the morons driving to the game while you're trying to get home from work or the morons driving home drunk after a game, you tend to be less forgiving.

mikej89 likes this.

12. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I’m not interested in the NBA.
    I’m only interested in NGD!

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Refereeing in NBA is the worst.

mikej89 likes this.

14. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    3 pointers have not ruined the game - they have helped it. GO back and watch some games from the 1980s, or just before the advent of the 3. During the Patrick Ewing era I remember the score of most games being in the 80s. All they would do is throw it in the post. Sometimes the ball would come back out, sometimes it wouldn't. What the 3 has hurt is the mid-range game. Not a lot of 15-footers taken any more. So your picks are run farther out, to free up the three-point shooter. It definitely has helped the little guy stay relevant.

mikej89 likes this.

15. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I always thought there were too many "thugs" in the NBA. Just my humble opinion.
    When Metta World Peace (how ironic) leveled James Harden with an "unintentional elbow" back in 2012, that confirmed it for me.
    A few bad apples can indeed can spoil the whole bunch...

Biddlin likes this.

16. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    A few cycles back the complaint was too much dunking, not enough shooting.

17. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    No, 3's are a thing of beauty...Go warriors!

18. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I think I was reading the 3 point shot was initiated in 1979. Granted that's a long time ago but it certainly hasn't been there for the majority of the sports' history.

19. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I think it's funny when athletes who don't even play guitar buy electric guitars and hang them in their "bro cave" lol.

20. BrightonRT

BrightonRT Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Brighton, MI
    3's have helped the game, it's in transition now and teams are adapting. No 3 point shot means people can pack the lane and watch people throw up 19 footers. Not very fun. Don't look at points per game, look at points per possession. A team shooting 35% from behind the arc is going to score as much as a team shooting 53% inside the arc (1.05 points every trip down the floor), exact same point output over the course of a game. Now take a team like the Warriors that shoots 40% from three and you've got a monster to defend (1.2 points per trip), at an average of 84 possessions a team (17.5 seconds into the shot clock) that's a score of 101-88, a 13 point swing, some teams get that and are looking for shooters. I would argue that as teams adapt to realizing they need to guard the 3 point line it has opened up more room for the big guys and the cutters to flourish because it is more costly to help. What kills it for me is there are few teams that play together, travelling is non existent, the continuation rule and foul calling in general is way too ticky tack as is the fact that superstars get away with way too many things. Let them play a bit more, and call the 3rd rounder rookie the same as LeBron and you might have something.