Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Have 3 pointers ruined The NBA?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    As far back as my memory goes, it’s been part.

2. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Maybe they could arrange the hoops like pockets on a pool table and have multiple balls people could be throwing into the air, and it would be a totally new game.

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ill tell you whats ruined nba. Tall guys.

Sure there are a few basketball players of average height, but not many.

Its like high jump. Why is it a big deal when a 7' tall guy can jump 7'?

They should raise the height of the hoop.

Better yet, have height classifications.

Imagine if there were no weight classifications in boxing..... There would be no small boxers.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah! And what’s up with big guys playing football?
    They ruined that too.

5. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Nope, the shot clock ruined basketball.

6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Not a basketball fan but I'd prob watch it if it was full contact, with baseball bats....and they were on roller blades and motorcycles.

I'm probably thinking of rollerball. That would be sweet.

otto6457 likes this.

7. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    I’ve been a Knick fan since Clyde Frazier’s rookie year. Defense is the name of the game.

lammie200 likes this.

8. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    Stern ruined the NBA

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Tall guys have ruined the game.

Make the basket higher. The height of the basket was likely set in 1800s for average folks back then.

10. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Traveling and palming the ball ...........

11. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

No! They need a four point shot of some kind - keep 'em guessing! Or more goals.

12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Basketball has always seemed like a really odd sport to me. Make the baskets high up so it's harder to get the ball in them, but then have the sport populated almost entirely by really tall people. Is there a version where the baskets are lower and there is a height limit of 6' for the players? And if not, why not? And can something be added to the floor to stop the annoying squeaky sound of the shoes? o_O

I think it's tied with golf and cricket as one of the most boring sports ever invented. :)

13. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I think it's maple flooring that has ruined the NBA. The tone just ain't right. Install rosewood courts and make it right.

Nadnitram, nadzab, craigh and 2 others like this.

14. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 4, 2008
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Just curious as to what you think of hockey, where you get a five minute Major for full-on fighting?

JAMES

Loth likes this.

15. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    i say 20 points if it goes in the hoop off the opponents head ...

16. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    I don’t watch basketball anymore but back in the day there was a duo called Mcfilthy and Mcnasty that played for the Pistons .
    I enjoyed watching the game then .
    Pistons vs Celtics games were intense!

17. Loth

Loth Strat-Talk Member

Mar 28, 2018
    West Chicagoland
    The game has changed a lot, but I think most people agree the 3 has only improved the game.

If you don't like the modern 'meta' if you will, the 3 point line is not to blame. Changes in how the game is officiated has favored offense. Shooters and ball handlers have more space to operate within the new guidelines. No armbar like in the 90s really changed how impactful you can be on defense.

I miss the armbar and I wish they let minor hand checks go. I also think they need to start giving offensive fouls to guys that lean into defenders intentionally or lock arms when shooting. But I still like the modern game.

There are still good defensive teams and players. It's not as prized as it used to, but it still wins you championships. Part of the reasons the warrior copycat teams don't get rings is they forget that the warriors also can play defense.

A player like Curry would still be good in the 90s, but he wouldn't be the star he is today playing back then.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    nadzab likes this.

18. Loth

Loth Strat-Talk Member

Mar 28, 2018
    West Chicagoland
    Right? These guys smash each others face's in on national television and they actually get PRAISED for it. I wonder what people would say about Lebron if he was out there trading bare knuckle blows to the face every other night. :whistling:

*Also, it's silly to judge a league on it's worst offenders. Ron Artest has thrown some dangerous cheap shots in his day. But the NFL and NHL all get dangerous bad hits and surely more often. It's rare where someone recklessly endangers someone else's life in the NBA.

19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The 3 point shot has absolutely ruined the game. The game as it is played now is weighted in favor of a single skill to a ridiculous degree. Once the stats and figures folks realized "hey, we can chuck up 3 pointers at 40% and it's the same points as 60% shooting on 2s. Then you add in the fouls on 3 pointers, which they thankfully partially addressed before this season, and analytics tell you to keep chucking those 3s.

I miss the big men dueling in the post...

duzie likes this.

20. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yup, it opened things up. Now you have bigs running the floor and shooting 3's,
    the ball flying all over the court , and defenses spread out so that things are less
    clogged up and therefore more interesting. It's different. I want a 4-point ,
    half-court shot put in ; what the hey ?!