Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Have Strat; Need Tube Amp. Blues Junior or AC10?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JPGR, May 23, 2017.

1. JPGR

JPGR Strat-Talk Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hi Everyone,

My Peavey Valveking Royal 8 has crapped out and I'm cashing in my Guitar Center Pro Coverage to get a gift card worth what I paid for the amplifier. It sucks, but now I'm in the market for a new amp. Tube is a must.

I'm really torn b/t the Fender Blues Junior or the Vox AC10.

I have a Classic Player 60s Strat, Epi Les Paul, and Joyo Vintage Overdrive. Simple, classic set up.

I play primarily Beatles, Tom Petty, and Chili Peppers tunes on my Strat. I prefer to use my amp for clean tones near breakup and the pedal for lead tones.

I'm looking for that amp that won't piss off my apartment neighbors but can also handle a jam session from time to time without having to mic it up.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    Ac10 all the way. I have the ac30cc2x and the ac4c112 and they are both awesome. And its plenty loud to jam with a band...ive gigged with my ac4. Also, ive played through a blues jr and compared to the vox, its 'meh'. Of course that is only my opinion.

nsnate02 likes this.

3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Of those two I'd get the Blues Jr. I'm not a fan of Vox amps. Course in those price ranges I'd look at other amps but that is mainly due to me really not liking EL84 tubes.

nateparso likes this.

4. JPGR

JPGR Strat-Talk Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Massachusetts
    What are your thoughts on the AC4-12 vs AC10?

5. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    Well, the ac4 has a 12' speaker, which I prefer over the 10, but the ac10 has reverb, and im sure has a little more headroom. Both are really nice, but I havent played through the 10 so I dont know much about it. But I know the people that own them say they are really awesome.

JPGR likes this.

6. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    yeah vox amps are hard to dial in, but once you do, they are awesome. the blues jr is not a bad amp, i just didnt like it as much as i do the vox amps. different strokes.

Bera and Stratoskater like this.

7. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    Can't speak for the vox but I can say that I own a limited edition blues jr. (these are the ones with the upgraded Jenson speaker and it is pretty great.

aiabx likes this.

8. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    @JPGR .....i dont think you could go wrong with either of those amps. the best thing to do would be to take your guitar and pedal to a music store and try both out to see which one you liked the most. just make sure you let someone who works there know about your gear so they dont think you are trying to steal.

JPGR likes this.

9. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If the choice is between the AC10 and the Blues Jr... I'm voting on the Blues Jr (if you learn to set it right). The 12" speaker and the amount of sound the Blues Jr puts out is incredible for its size. If you really want Vox, IMO you have to step up to the AC15 for a fair fight.

The one caveat for the Blues Junior is that you have to have the mindset that you'll use it for your base clean tones and let your pedals push for break-up. Why do I say this? Because the PROPER (best IMO) way to set a Blues Junior is to dime the master, then dial in the Volume for loudness, as opposed to the traditional method of using master for loudness and volume for gain to hit the preamp. With my prescribed method, you will have an amp that sounds like a larger traditional Fender with clean tones. But the Blue Jr isn't renowned for it's gorgeous natural breakup as are Vox's and Marshall's. If you use the Volume control for loudness and it does break up prematurely you simply swap the V1 tube (which comes stock 12AX7) for a 12AY7 which doesn't hit the preamp so hard. Still plenty of sound coming out of it.

That's my .02 worth on the subject. Good luck.

10. nsnate02

nsnate02 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Since I just got the Vox AC10C1, my vote is for the Vox. What is more Beetles than classic Vox? From the reviews I read of people who've had the AC4 and the AC10, the consensus seems to be the AC10 does everything the AC4 does but better, with more versatility, and without the AC4's limitations.

duzie, JPGR and circles like this.

11. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2016
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Go with the Vox. I have an AC15 and the tones that you want (clean and gainy near breakup) are just heaven.

12. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    If you're going EL84 this would get my vote as well. Much better tones than he Blues Jr or Vox IMO.

fezz parka likes this.

13. JPGR

JPGR Strat-Talk Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Here's my ignorant question about the Pro Jr:

If you up the volume, the signal breaks up. When you roll the volume knob back on your guitar, the sound cleans up. But do you lose the loudness?

How does it take pedals?

I'm scared of not having the gain & master volume combo.

Thanks for the help!

14. Quills

Quills New Member!

Mar 6, 2017
    farmington, nm
    katana 100, solid state but beats tube amps!

15. nsnate02

nsnate02 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I have the Katana head and just got the AC10C1. The Katana is VERY good takes pedals extremely well and can get most any sound you want. That being said, the AC just has a feel, the subtleties, and a presence the Katana doesn't. Doesn't make the Katana bad, in fact I love what it can do, and it's not a lesser it's just different. It's kind like the difference between a juiced '69 Camero SS and a 2017 Camero SS. They both get you there fast and in style just have different feels.

16. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    In your opinion. In mine I would say tube amps slay all SS modelers.

17. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    blues junior!!!

Has great lush Fender sparkle at low volumes.

18. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Blues Junior.. but then I would say that, I've had one for 20 years. Other amps have come and gone but I've always hung on to the BJ. That says something in itself.

Only experience I've had with Vox was light years ago. That was an AC30, about fifteen previous owners if I remember rightly. So not really a good advert for Vox. Anyway, Fender make the best (affordable) amps in my opinion.. :thumb:

19. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Strat + vox = toooo bright. My vote Blues jr all day long

Stratoskater likes this.