Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Having difficulty finding strings I like, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by rgbedard, Aug 21, 2018.

1. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have a 1974 Ovation Legend. I have had it since it was about ten years old. Over the years, sometimes I like how it sounds, sometimes not so much. I have tried all sorts of strings on it. Often the strings sound dead in a couple weeks, I get much longer life on my electrics. (I wipe my guitars down after playing, and store in their cases.) There usually seems to be a big trade-off in sound versus playability. I like how bronze strings sound, but pushing the strings halfway across the neck to get an imperceptible bend isn't a happy experience. I then string it with steel (electric) strings, it's easy to play, bend notes, but the sound is a bit lacking in fullness compared to bronze strings.

Am about to the place where I use bronze strings and give up bends ... but if anyone has any suggestions, even condescending ones, I would be interested. I have been pretty much switching back and forth between the following:

The bronze strings I have been using are StringJoy Bright Acoustic Extra Light (.010 - .050) I like the fullness of the sound, but it feels like bending a note a half step is risking folding up the guitar ...

The steel strings are D'Addario XL Regular Light (.010 - .046) I like how easy it is to play, bend notes a full step, but overall, the tone is lacking.

If there is some kind of middle ground, I would like to find it, lol. TIA

2. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I just switched to Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel and I've been quite pleased so far. I put the 10s on my Seagull and the 11s on my Ovation and I'm very happy with the tension with both. I will disclose however that I snapped the G string on the Seagull doing a bends but I was really wanking the crap out of it so i'm not surprised. I was just having a ball with being able to do some of the solos I usually do on my strat with such ease that I got a little carried away. Might be a non issue for someone else.

I just ordered a set of the standard Earthwoods because the gauges match but they are half the price of the S&S so i'm giving them a go.

rgbedard likes this.
  3. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    Have you tried Martin Phosphor Bronze? I like all their Acoustic strongs.

4. rgbedard

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have not, but a good friend who is a professional also recommened I try them. Guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. I have Martin strings on my Mandolin and like them.

93-Strat likes this.
  5. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    When I played Acoustic I tried quite a few and settled for the Martins.

6. rgbedard

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    That is pretty much what I would like ... sometimes, I think it's goofy, but yeah, I would like to play the Ovation like a Strat ...

Chont likes this.
  7. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    sometimes ill put electric strings on my acoustic.....11s or 12s.

Chont and rgbedard like this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Try Martin flexible core or retros or daddario nickel bronze. Much softer to bend but still ring like an acoustic string should. I use 12-54 on a 25.4 scale Martin and they are easy enough to bend. Your ovation is a 25.4 scale so it will feel stiffer than many acoustics that sport a shorter scale.

rgbedard likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Curt Mangan strings -- try both Acoustic and Electric.

Ditchgator, Flatland and Stratoskater like this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I picked up a set of Martin Silk & Steel .011s recently. I was looking for something easier to play, and so far they're doing it for me. They aren't as loud as what I had before (EB Earthwoods) but they aren't killing my arthritic fingers either, so I'm OK with that. Plus when you play like I do, quieter isn't necessarily a bad thing.:confused:

My guitar is a Breedlove import, it's 25.5 scale.

rgbedard likes this.
  11. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    There's not a huge difference between a 10-46 set and a 10-50 set. And no difference at all in the high E. I would expect not a whole lot of difference in how string bending feels.

I love Stringjoy, the in-between solution is a lighter (custom?) set of Stringjoy strings. There is literally no difference between their plain steel acoustic strings and their plain steel electric strings, you could build a set based on .007s if you want, and still have their acoustic bronze on your bass strings. Or use stringtensionpro.com to determine the tension that's there on the electric set, and you can then figure out what strings you'd need to get that tension in bronze.

If you're looking to retain that "new string" sound for longer, consider phosphor bronze instead of 80/20 (pretty sure Stringjoy's are 80/20). Or go with Elixers.

rgbedard likes this.
  12. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    That's really not that bad. Depending on the brand, they can go bad within hours let alone weeks. Martin strings are pretty awful. They go bad so quickly, no matter the type. Using 10s is like bare minimum size, you can't really expect much of the fullnes to last since they are so lean in the first place. For a fuller longer last you need at least 11, bending isnt that hard, try bending on 13s for a few months then get back to me.:thumb::)

13. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

Sep 27, 2014
    Southern IL
    I like John Pearse Phosphor Bronze.

14. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
  15. StevieMar

StevieMar Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Port Tobacco,MD
    I liked DR Sunbeams on my Seagull S6 when I had that. I like Martin Retros on my CA OX. They seem to last a long time for me.

16. rgbedard

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I tried Martin Phosphor Bronze M2000 Marquis .010 ... I ruined the G string in about 10 minutes trying to get a full step bend at the fifth fret ... it got mangled in the nut, maybe it was a tight fit ... like how they sound, but agree it doesn't seem like they are going to hold up.

17. rgbedard

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Trying these:

20180914_082349.jpg
    So far, best compromise, excellent full sound, not difficult to get a halftone bend. Hoping they hold up better than the other Martins I tried. Happy for now ...