Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

HBID: It's a Happy British Invasion Day

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by johnnymg, Jun 29, 2018.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Wohooooo................ Just got a couple drivers for a 2x12 "tower" build. I'm sort of thinking vertical tower semi-open back with an ~18" width (to accommodate a head) but I'm VERY open to suggestions. 1/2" ply is my assumed material with some 3/4 MDF for internal bracing.

Suggestions welcome!

ET65 1.png

ET65.png

2. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Looks like a nice project. Do you know what Head you will be using with the cabinet? Many are wider than 18”. Baffle and back panel attachment are big factors in how you build it. I would suggest solid wood (hardwood if possible) rails. I don’t start with a blank canvas. Cabinet design involves science but there is a lot of trial and error involved in getting a good result. I don’t want to burn up time and lumber making my own mistakes. People have been experimenting with this stuff for longer than any of us have been around. You can find something that gives you the sound you are looking for. Use the known data to get a basic design and dimensions. Finishes, craftsmanship and your personal build details will make it unique.

1/2” ply is going to have considerable flex in a 2 x 12. If you use the right corner joints and have a mid brace it can certainly work. 3/4” material is more common for the box.

Look forward to following along!

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.