Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

headphones for recording

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by macoshark, Oct 30, 2018.

1. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

Aug 30, 2016
    arizona
    Hey, Im about to order my Focusrite Interface,thanks for the help. I'm thinking I should get a set of headphones to go with it at the same time. Just want something that will do, economical and hold up , comfortable. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    What is your max cost? "Economical" can mean different things to different people.

JMO............... it's hard to beat the Sony MDR series of phones. From ~$15 to big bucks. I would feel confident in any of them.

circles and BallisticSquid like this.
  3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Any Sennheisers above 60$ will do.

But who will ever listen to the recordings through something like that? To hear what your fans will hear, just plug in your smartphone headphones - if it sounds good through those, it will kick major butt through anything better anyway ;)

Strat-Slinger and circles like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I use Sennheiser HD201 which were about £25, I think the closest they make now are HD206 around £35.

5. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

Aug 30, 2016
    arizona
    Not sure how much I would be using these for awhile. So don't want to spend over 40 bucks.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    You need a decent, serviceable and comfortable set of closed back headphones, preferably with a flattish response.

rafasounds, macoshark and TheDuck like this.
  7. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Something to consider: if you choose to use your Focusrite in a DAW and start working with mixes, you may want a better set of phones for doing mixes than you would for simple monitoring ... you may want to save your $40 for now, and put it towards something better when the time comes.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Or better yet studio monitors. :p But let's learn to walk before we enter the marathon...

Guy Named Sue, TheDuck and rgbedard like this.
  9. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

the audio technica ath m20x are excellent headphones for the price.

macoshark likes this.
  10. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Big fan of Sennheisers.

Had the HD 280s which were amazing but they are pricey. I had borrowed them from the Post facility I worked at before moving to where I am now.

I now have a set of HD 202s and love them.

TheDuck and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  11. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I have Senheiser cans, and I never use them.
    They were marketed as flat response, and most definitely aren't.

Mixing with headphones is tricky, and you have to always listen to your final mix on something other than the ‘phones, just for a different audio perspective.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Miotch and Chont like this.
  12. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Tone Guru likes this.
  13. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Get some (any) big closed cans and get started. You are not starting up a pro studio around a 2i2, so anything that lets you start recording is great.:)

macoshark, Thrup'ny Bit and CigBurn like this.
  14. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I have a pair of Presonus HD7's and they've been pretty good. One thing I like about them is the 1/4"' jack tip unscrews revealing an 1/8" jack, which makes them easy to use plugged into either the Audiobox or the computer.

pazman6 likes this.
  15. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

Find yourself a store that sells office supplies, as these places will generally offer you stuff that works well, but without all the bells & whistles.

I still use a set of $20:00 Philips headphones for my recordings, & they do the job well-enough for my needs, though the feed-back s few years ago from people here suggested that the solo guitar was too low in the mix, so I simply boosted it up a few db's.

As others have mentioned, once your done, play-back through monitors is a good suggestion, to maybe alter something here & there...

Ultimately though, if your levels are indicating that they're where they should be, the sound will be heard, even if you can't hear it yourself. Getting your ears tested at a GP clinic & seeing the results will tell you where your own hearing deficiencies lay.

Cheers,

Rastus

16. jchabalk

jchabalk Strat-Talk Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Northern California
    I use the AKG K271 mark ii. They're super comfortable and don't have a lot of mass going across the top of your head so they really stay put.

17. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Using headphones you can hear this guitar on Led Zeppelin's first record.

[​IMG]

circles likes this.
  18. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

I use the same ones. Comfortable and sound good enough. I picked mine up on the Stupid Deal of the Day for ~$30 or so a few years ago.

19. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Aug 25, 2011
    Brazil
    SHP2000_10-IMS-pt_BR.jpg

This is what I use when I have to - although I do my best not to have to. It's good for monitoring when recording. It's pretty closed so it prevents leakeage if you're recording vocals. It's not the most hi-fi sound, leaning towards a bassy muffled sound, so not recommended as an only mixing source, just for reference. Because of tinnitus and other ear-related things I avoid headphones and record with ambient monitoring as much as I can.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  20. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Industry Standard - Sony MDR-7506 (or MDR-V6) about $100.
    Within your price range, the MDR-7502s are a lower priced model in the same line with similar construction, about $40.

Either of these would be good for tracking and editing.
    Cans aren't usually a good choice for mixing.

macoshark likes this.