Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hello from Turkiye!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by amartianfromearth, Jan 10, 2018.

1. amartianfromearth

amartianfromearth Strat-Talk Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Istanbul, Turkiye
    Hello everyone! I am Abraham from Istanbul and am so excited to join this community. I am a strat lover and cannot wait to learn more about this fabulous instrument with everyone else here. I do have an Eric Johnson stratocaster that I do love very much from 2008, and just ordered a new replacement neck for it, which has lead me to this very cool website!

2. amartianfromearth

Jan 10, 2018
    Istanbul, Turkiye
    Also, if anyone is willing to help me out with the new neck, I have a strange question

Here is a link to view a few pictures of my brand new fender official quartersawn american vintage maple neck.

I was under the impression quartersawn necks always had that parallel vertical "straight lines" grain throughout the entire piece of lumber, yet this clearly does not. It has wavey/bowing grains above the truss rod skunk line more common to flat-sewn necks, and the typical parallel straight line grains below the truss rod line (with some kind of grainy blur in the midst of it). Is this normal, or more common than I realize?

I'm happy with the neck because it is very resonant and comfortable, but am wondering why the grains do not look like all the other quartersawn necks I have seen before. More importantly, will this bowing grain pattern affect the stiffness and make it weaker than a typical quartersawn neck, as I know quartersawn necks are made to be especially stiff? I paid extra for quartersawn because of it's structural integrity due to it's tight grain pattern, and do not want this to be compromised by a bad cut/delinquent lumber.

Thank you ST!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CephasG

CephasG Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    Hello, arkadaş! Welcome to strat-talk! I am sure someone will chime in about the neck.

amartianfromearth likes this.

4. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Welcome! It's a very pretty neck with what looks like a nice chunky feel good in the hand shape. I know very little about quarter saw cut wood though, other than it is supposed to be the best cut of the timber. I hope you enjoy it!

5. amartianfromearth

Jan 10, 2018
    Istanbul, Turkiye
    yes it feels amazing! I just hope someone can explain why the grain doesnt look like a normal quartersawn neck

Merhaba arkadaşım!!!! :)

CephasG likes this.

6. CephasG

CephasG Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    :) My grandfather spoke Turkish very well, so I recognize some words.
    Regarding your neck, you can take a look here: http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech-talk/quartersawn-necks/
    Your neck looks legit to me but I am no expert. The wood pattern on the back obviously depends on which part of the log it was cut from. Again, no expert, just looks so to me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Welcome Abraham!

I've been to Turkey many times, and it's easily the most beautiful country in the world.

Can you please post a straight-on photo of both sides of the headstock?

8. amartianfromearth

Jan 10, 2018
    Istanbul, Turkiye

I agree!! Besides the many landscapes we also have beautiful architecture, women, food, and coffee :)

Where have you travelled? I grew up in Adana in the southcentral, but now live in Istanbul in the northwest. Its completely different but I love the history here and the big city feel.

Here are two photos of the front and back of the headstock. It is definitely quartersawn. I noticed the butt had the parallel vertical line grains when installed into the body, but am just curious why the back of the neck has this grain pattern? Someone else said it could be due to which part of the log this lumber was cut. Could this have been cut close to the face? And most importantly, does this make the neck structurally inferior to a normal quartersawn grain?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. amartianfromearth

Jan 10, 2018
    Istanbul, Turkiye
    I think I figured it out thanks to this picture!

[​IMG]

Thank you! It is a pleasure to meet all of you! Happy strat-ing!

10. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Welcome aboard! Strat-Talk is a great place to hang out. We're glad you are here.

11. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Welcome to the forum! The neck looks good to, it's just the profile carving that makes it look like that and it's understandable. Why are you replacing the neck? I recommend Musikraft, they can replicate any neck and prices are good for quality product!

12. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Merhaba, Hos geldinz Bodrum'dan. Forgive my poor Turkish... still learning.
    That image is misleading. See if this site make it more clear...
    http://alleghenymountainhardwoodflooring.com/portfolio/rift-and-quarter-sawn/

If you make it to Bodrum, shoot me a message and we'll get a beer or coffee. Love to chat sometime, maybe trade a few chords.
    All the best,
    John

EDIT: This one is also good...
    http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech-talk/quartersawn-necks/

13. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

14. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

15. amartianfromearth

Jan 10, 2018
    Istanbul, Turkiye
    This is the replacement! My old one was destroyed in a flash flood in Istanbul last July, the neck took bad damage from the leaking roof before I could get home to put it in a safe place, but the body took little to no damage at all for nitro! :-\

Merhaba! It is not an easy language, but I think is easier than english hahaha!
    I haven't been down there in a while, I will definitely message you next time and bring my amp and guitar! :)

Can you explain how the image is misleading. Is the bowing/wave grains normal for my neck or is it due to being cut in a certain place of the lumber?

16. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    I'm probably spelling most of them wrong, but I've been to Ankara, Cappadocia, Konya, Antalya, Pamukklae, Ephesus and of course Istanbul.

If anyone is ever thinking of going to Rome or Greece to see the Roman ruins, save yourself a bunch of headache and visit them in Turkey instead.

Turkey is WAY less crowded, the people are about 400x times nicer, and unlike other Muslim countries - Turkey uses the Western alphabet (no crazy script that you can't read).

Istabul:
    IMG_2793.JPG

Walk amougnst the Roman ruins without being squashed by 4000 pickpockets:
    IMG_2667.JPG

You will quickly fall in love with Turkish women - believe me:
    IMG_2287.JPG
    This guy will outplay you on any stringed instrument:
    SDC10193.JPG

17. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    Welcome my friend!! If you indeed love Strats, then you have come to the right place. If you like sarcasm, wit and humor, you have come to the right place. You will enjoy it here!! I have never been to Turkey, though I have "seen" Turkey via the Bosphorous Strait, enroute to the Black Sea. Courtesy of the US Navy!

18. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

The original image shows the grain of the cut quartersawn plank correctly, but simply shows the plank being cut perpendicular to a flat cut plank.
    That isn't the case at all since a log could be rolled to get the same cut. Look at the pic below to see the way the planks are actually cut from the log, how they are different, and why the grain appears uniquely different. It that clear as mud? :thumbd:;):D

[​IMG]

19. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Hello Abraham,
    Welcome to Strat-talk.

I agree with you about Turkiye. I was there in 1982!!!
    I spent a whole summer travelling along the coastline from Istanbul to Mersin. I had a fabulous time, so many beautiful places, lovely people. I have so many happy memories from that time, and I thank you for reminding me of them.

You EJ neck looks fine to me. It looks very similar to mine.

SB

20. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Strat-Talker

Sep 20, 2015
    Turkey
    Hiya, Turk here, purebred! are you a Turkish jew? Is Abraham a translation from Arabic :) ? Welcome anyhow mister, nice to come across, this is a great place to loose yourself in gear-dreams. Hotel California kind of thing.