Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Hello from Vancouver Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Andrew Wasson, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hey guys,

After years of tooling around, lurking and reading up on Strats here, I finally decided to get myself an honest to goodness login on Strat Talk.

On TDPRI my username is awasson which has been my goto login on web sites since the mid 90’s but I decided to use my actual name here just cuz.

There’s another Canadian guitar player by the name of Andrew Wasson who’s in Winnipeg, I think. he’s a GIT grad and guitar teacher instructor. I am not that dude. I’m really enthusiastic about all things guitar and music but I don’t have his chops. Well not yet anyway. I’m working on it.

I’ve got two Strats right now and you never know when another might show up.

For the better part of the last 40+ years of playing, I’ve played Humbucker guitars. Starting with a Les Paul Knock off and then early 80’s Ibanez Artist guitars. I had an American Standard Strat in the early 90’s but wasn't up to the task of making it work so eventually I had to let it go and figured Strats just weren’t for me... Fortunately I was wrong and I’m pretty much a Strataholic.

I started obsessing about Strats about 4 or 5 years ago after going to some open jams where I played with a guy who is all about Strats. Finally after playing his Nash Strat, I just had to have some kind of Strat.

I bought a black MIM 94 Fender “Squier Series” as a fixer upper for I think $250. I demoed it for all of 5 minutes on this guys portch in the snow and knew it was a keeper. The one piece maple neck is killer. Vintage skinny frets, 10” radius, soft V (maybe?)... Coming from Gibson type guitars I shouldn’t have bonded with this guitar but I couldn’t put it down. I’ve hot rodded the heck out of it now. It’s got a set of custom 60’s Alnico 5 pickups, custom wiring for series or parallel middle positions, upgraded pots, Jack, tuners and tremolo with a full size brass block and bent saddles. It’s actually a pretty cool little guitar but definitely has lots of wear and battle scars from its past life as a cheap beater.

My other Strat is a mint condition 2010 Classic Player 60’s Strat, sunburst finish with rosewood fretboard. It is completely stock. I may add the series/parallel switching for the middle positions and I may add some shielding to the pick guard but other than that, this guitar is perfect. After my success with the black 94 hot rod Strat I started looking at the Classic Player 60’s and 50’s Strats. It seems to me that they offer the most bang for the buck if your looking for modern appointments mixed with vintage specs. It has become the #1 Guitar I reach for and I play it every day.

Funny thing is that I’m still looking at Strats. I don’t “need” another but there are a few I want. I’m looking at Eric Johnson Strats. Not the new semi hollow ones but the classic ones. I’m also looking at the American Professional. One day I’d like to check out an Elite Strat from the 90’s too. I’d really like a Strat in Sonic Blue or one in trans white like a Mary Kaye.

Anyway, that’s enough about me. I’ll make my way around the site and see what’s what.

Cheers,
    Andrew

2. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    Welcome Andrew!
    We like pictures:D

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right! Good idea.

Here’s most of the family here.

224EB755-9239-4B8D-A14C-E3A8626371BF.jpeg

These guys live in the living room so I can’t help but grab one when I’m on the couch.

4F4C4425-38B5-4B92-934F-60596270FCB3.jpeg
    28CD350B-D0D2-41BE-BAC6-F10F870F7547.jpeg EBD9E7D1-3EF8-490F-A0F8-44588AE472B8.jpeg

4. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome

I am also from the Wet Coast:thumb:

T Bone Slort and Andrew Wasson like this.
  5. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Hi Andrew, welcome to ST.

6. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Welcome fellow Canuck...( our numbers are growing...shhh or they will figure it out...).

Nice pics and a great back story. I started with a cheap Teisco then a BC Rich Bich and a series of pointy guitars. Strats were not kool....lol Same deal, tried one had an epiphany and have has them since. Nice to read that many of us have travelled the same path.

Lived in Burnaby for 3 years and miss rhe weather as compared to snow central here in northern Ontario. :)

Percy, Andrew Wasson and T Bone Slort like this.
  7. nungesser

nungesser Time for a Tiger Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    welcome aboard! nice selection of guitars

8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Welcome Andrew !!

9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Welcome (from a fellow canuck who now resides in Washington State)

10. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    canucks looking good so far...welcome

11. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Welcome. I’m just north in Squamish. If you like open jams there is one every Thursday night, 9:00 til closing, at the Chieftain Hotel in Squamish. It’s a very relaxed atmosphere, great house band who will jam with anyone, or just get up on stage and do your own thing.

12. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome! I spent a year in Vancouver, loved it. It was a while ago. Studied animation there.

13. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

14. LPTyler

LPTyler Strat-Talk Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Huffman, TX
    I love the BC!

duzie and Andrew Wasson like this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cool. I’ll have to head up and check that out. Weather is getting a little chilly on the Sea to Sky, especially at night but that sounds like a good place to bring my guitar to. I think I may have been there about a year ago for dinner on the way back from Whistler.

16. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    There is a Japanese restaurant in the hotel but the pub is very much a throw back logger’s bar although the clientele is mostly too young to know what that means. You probably had dinner at the Howe Sound Inn and Brew Pub. Coincidentally I do the weekend night audits at the Brew Pub. Let me know if you come for the jam. I’ll buy you a beer.

17. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

the BC contingent grows! most of my beloved's family is in Vancouver and Victoria (technically East Sooke...)

nice guitars... welcome! i hope to make it north for one of these jams you all do!

18. mattocaster

mattocaster Strat-Talker

Feb 2, 2013
    Michigan
    Welcome. Nice strats! I also want an early 90’s elite.

19. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Welcome, Andrew! But I gotta ask...what took you so long?

20. NewStrings

NewStrings Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 25, 2014
    Summerside, PEI Canada
    Hey Andrew, a big welcome all the way from the East coast, little old PEI!! Nice looking family and glad you are here.