Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help choosing a new clean amp for home use

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by howdy-doo, Sep 1, 2017.

1. howdy-doo

howdy-doo Strat-Talk Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    Hi,

As the title says I'm trying to figure out what amp to get for home playing. I live in an apartment, but I do own an attenuator so in some respects it doesn't necessarily have to be low wattage.

I'm looking more for a head (relatively small, think lunch box) as I have limited space in the flat, so it would be stacked on top of my Rocker 30, and played through my 2x12 with vintage 30s in.

I've looked around and the ones I think fit the bill at the moment are;

Victory V40,
    Fender Super-Champ v2

I know they're pretty different sides of the spectrum price wise but they both seem to sound quite good from the sound samples I've heard.

Bit from left field as I don't know much about it, but the Ibanez TSA15H seems quite interesting but I don't know how the cleans are.

I'm open to any suggestions of other amps as well, max price is about £900($1150)

Thanks everyone

Edit: I should mention I currently also have an Orange Tiny Terror, but I'm looking to get rid of it for something that can do that clean amp sound really well

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

2. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Orange Tiny Terror ?

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    For an apartment I would highly suggest a modeling amp such as a Fender Mustang, Boss Katana, Yamaha THR 10, Vox Audio, or similar.

Tube amps, even with an attenuator, are great for gigging, band rehearsal, jams, etc, but are really quite impractical for apartment use.

4. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    Sorry, I should mention, I currently have a TT, I'm looking to sell it basically to fund this next one. I want something that can do the clean tones really well

tery likes this.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Champion 600.

It's in this vid. Along with some goofy guy in his old basement.

tery and gwjensen like this.

6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 20

tery likes this.

7. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    I did think about this actually but I was a little put off from modelling I think because the last time I used one was probably 10 years ago! Have you got any experience with the Rowland Jazz Chorus? I've heard it's known for it's cleans

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Yes, they Roland Jazz Chorus is known very well for it's cleans, and for good reason. I have played them, and they are one of the best clean amps ever IMHO.

If you are looking for ONLY clean tones, then a Roland JC would be an excellent choice. Overdrive on a JC may not be for everybody, it's subjective.

9. fezz parka

FWIW. Any amp can be played clean at low (apartment) volume. Any amp. :D

ryapou and henderman like this.

10. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    I've always known them to be quite high gain the H&K amps, are they decent for the cleans too?

11. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    It's mainly cleans, I have my rocker 30 covering the OD/Distortion side of things, but, although I like the cleans it hasn't got that 'sparkle', so the idea is to finish covering the bases! :D

12. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This is true. My previous statement about tube amps being impractical for apartment use was completely discounting that the OP said he only wanted clean tones.

Taking that into account, yes, any amp can be used for low volume clean sound.

13. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    At lower volumes, would you say you could expect much difference really between the V40, and the Super-champ x2 then?

14. fezz parka

Isn't the Orange Rocker 30 a two channel amp with switching? A single stage clean channel and a 3 stage dirty channel. Big bottles for output tubes (el34). Turn the knobs, the sound should be there. Sounds to me like you just want another amp, which is fine. ;)

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I have no experience with either of those amps.

16. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    I won't lie, that is part of it! But I've had the Oranges for so long I want something that sounds different and since getting my Strat I have a hanckering for those sparkly cleans!

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

LOVE the Uncle Fezzter videos! So much fun...

Bring 'em back and do more!

Please. :thumb:

fezz parka likes this.

18. fezz parka

Now we're getting to it. Move completely away from British voiced amps.

You're looking for Fender BF and SF cleans. Look at Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb reissues. The "sound" you seek is there, and its also a GAS-worthy purchase. Anything else will be a substitute. :D

Ebidis and howdy-doo like this.

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    If your mind is set on a tube amp, I would say get a Fender, or something that is based on a Fender circuit.

If you can deal with a modeling amp, the Fender Mustang III v2 does many sparkly clean Fender tones extremely well.

20. howdy-doo

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    Thanks I'll have a look a them :)