Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help choosing a new clean amp for home use

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by howdy-doo, Sep 1, 2017.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I may put up some of the old ones, but there will be no more new ones. My heads not in that space anymore. :D

2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I find it to be the opposite. It's a two channel amp, clean and lead. Lead channel has a boost that really pushes it. A friend of mine had the Tubemeister 20 and I've tried it with a bunch of different guitars and find the cleans to be excellent. I have the Tubemeister 18 and I find those cleans to be excellent too and there seems to be a lot of headroom, I can bearly make the amp break up with the strat on the clean channel, even if I dime the gain.

There's a built in power soak, it goes from silent to 1, 5 and 18/20 watts. There is also a built in RedBox DI, slightly more advanced on the 20 than on the 18 as the 20 lets you choose which cab you want to emulate.

3. howdy-doo

howdy-doo Strat-Talk Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Liverpool
    Thanks, definitely sounds like something to look in to, I'll see if I can try one out

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I really thought that you should have been wearing a crash helmet and sunglasses. LOL.

Great vid. I like the credits. :thumb:

fezz parka and nuculer terrist like this.

5. nsnate02

nsnate02 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I would highly recommend the VOX MV50 Clean. Lots of head room, great with pedals, drives cabs, and is VERY small. As someone mentioned already, the Roland Roland Jazz Chorus is phenomenal clean. The JC22 might be a great option.

I have had the Yamaha THR10 and Katana 100W head and both are great and would serve your purposes, but I ended up moving those along in favor of the VOX MV50AC to use in place of my AC10C1 when low volume is needed.

6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    this. Get a PR or DR and you can get really nice fender tones at a volume nobody is calling the police.

7. Stratstrangler

Stratstrangler Strat-Talk Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I know that you wrote you'd like something different from a British voiced amp, but let me tell you that
    I have been using an Orange Micro Dark hybrid type with just one 12ax7 in it. I have been getting good results
    from using the clean side of this amp, lately......even better since I swapped in a Mesa 12ax7 in place of the stock JJ.

Most players buy this amp for the gain side, which is also a great British/Orange tone, but I only go there once in
    a great while these days. By pushing the amp volume up to say 11:00 o'clock with the gain knob about there or slightly below, I get a sparkling clean from both my Strat and Les Paul.....seasoning the tone using the amp's shape knob.

Try something like that with your own Orange. I'll bet with some experimenting and adding a lower gain pre-amp tube(s), you might be surprised.

Stratstrangler

8. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    To me this is a question of what clean tone you're after. Fender HRD, Blues Jr. both have imho, good clean tones. I have a VHT Special 6 that is also good clean but different from the Fenders. My Mesa 5/25 has phenomenal clean tones as well and the versatility of having 5/25 watts is a plus for me. However, the best clean amp with the most headroom I have is a 70's Bassman 100. Not very practical for an apt. setting but it is excruciatingly clean at all volumes. I won't go into the Mojo factor it should be self evident. Good luck and have fun with the search and eventual purchase.

9. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talk Member

Ed Storer likes this.

10. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    1st Generation Super Champ XD

11. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2014
    Colorado
    $1150 for a practice amp? What's your budget for a gig rig? :eek: :)

12. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    1. Orange Micro Terror after replacing tube with 12AU7 (lower output)
    2. Ibanez TSA5 or TSA15 (that has a 5W switch option)
    3. Fender SCX2