Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help! HH wiring 1 volume 1 tone 3 way split coil

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dick Blackmore, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Have not done this one before. HH, 3 way switch, 1 tone push pull, 1 volume push pull. I want one push pull to split to the middle coils and one push pull split to the outside coils. I would also like to flip the neck pickup so the screw poles are at the top (Dimarzio PAF 7). I believe this is the right schematic but I am not sure what happens when the pots are in the various positions (pulled/un-pulled).

Is this the right schematic?

Can somebody explain to me the positional controls?

Also this guitar was loaded with EMG's. Instead of the ground wire going to the body/bridge it went to the 1/4 inch jack where there was a third area to solder too. I've never seen that does that work the same as grounding to the body?

[​IMG]

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That stereo jack is an on/off switch for the active system that was in there with the EMG's.....you should just use a regular mono jack for your purposes....no it doesn't serve as a ground....basically it conserves battery power by only turning the 9V battery active system on when a cable is plugged into the jack....

As for the rest, I don't know enough....

Dick Blackmore likes this.

3. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    ok. good. thanks. That means I can just keep that entire harness intact

4. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Ok my first post I'm asking the wrong question. This is what I want.

2 Humbuckers, 3 way tele switch, 1 volume push/pull, 1 tone push/pull

Volume Push (Down) - Neck Humbucker ; Volume Pull (Up) - Neck Single Coil closest to neck (outer coil)

Tone Push(Down) - Bridge Humbucker : Tone Pull (Up) - Bridge Single Coil closest to bridge (outer coil)

That's it, no phase/series, don't care about hum cancelling.

5. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Jinx_The_Lynx likes this.

6. Jinx_The_Lynx

Jinx_The_Lynx Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2016
    West of West
    Both schematics look good. My Strat is wired like this with one push/pull for coil split... I ended up reversing the push/pull to pull for HB.

Dick Blackmore likes this.

7. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I'm going with the Seymour Duncan wiring. I will report back. Thanks for your help. This guitar I will mostly play from the neck humbucker or Triple Play unless the single coil sounds are really good. I have read they are really good with this pickup, I have my fingers crossed.

8. Jinx_The_Lynx

Jinx_The_Lynx Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2016
    West of West
    I have had both a JB and a TB, great sounding, just not to my liking in my Strat. I ended up using a pair of stock Atomics with 250 pots, 1 vol 1 tone. I don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

Gl and let us know if it works for you.

9. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Ok I now understand the last schematic I posted, its pretty cool actually, please correct me if I am wrong.

One push/pull changes both neck and bridge to single coil. The second push/pull pot changes from series to parallel. If the pots are in single coil mode it switches coils from inner to outer or vice versa I am not sure on the order but I am going to go with this. Heating the iron now.

Jinx_The_Lynx likes this.

10. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Quick update. Could not do this mod after all. Wiring was not a problem, the problem was no way to ground to bridge. The guitar (ESP H1007B, the 7 is for strings and the B is baritone scale 27") came with EMG's wired in and EMG apparently does not require ground to bridge (did not know that). The guitar has a Hipshot fixed bridge and while I do have the drill bit to drill from the cavity to the bridge I chose not to drill into the body because

A. its a beautiful guitar with a carved Koa top
    B. I don't hate the EMG's, I just wanted to coil split and slightly less output.
    C. I will get the 57/66 set, it wont coil split but the set does have a PAF quality to it I just did not want to spend that much.

Now I need to get rid of these Dimarzio's...There's gonna be a Dick Blackmore sale coming soon. Pedals, pickups, maybe an amp and a guitar...