Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help IDing these pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by fidosuperfly, Jul 11, 2018.

1. fidosuperfly

fidosuperfly Strat-Talk Member

Mar 3, 2014
    New Haven, CT
    Hey folks,

I recently purchased a nice partscaster and I need some help figuring out what pickups it has in it! If it helps, the body appeared to be from a Masterbuilt 54 strat and the neck seemed to be from some kind of custom shop/special edition '59 strat (maybe one of the "thin skin" ones Wildwood put out several years ago), but the pups have me stumped!

On my multimeter, the neck measures ~6K the middle measures ~6.6K and the bridge is a bit north of 7K. They definitely seem to be some kind of nice vintage repro pickups but still not super knowledgeable on the hallmarks of genuine Fender pups. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Some pics:

20180710_173259.jpg 20180710_173320.jpg 20180710_173337.jpg 20180710_173341.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    Kind of look like the alnicos from a Squier Pro Tone but I’m sure others have used that wiring scheme.
    IMG_4456.JPG

Edited to add: on closer inspection, it looks like your wires are cloth. The Pro Tone wires aren’t. Also, are the bobbins on yours plastic or fiber?

fidosuperfly likes this.

3. fidosuperfly

Mar 3, 2014
    New Haven, CT
    Yup the wires and bobbins on mine appear to be cloth (or at least, definitely not plastic). They seem to be well-made, too!

4. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

5. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    What color is the winding wire ?
    Texas Specials would be my guess based on the readings, if the wire is enamel.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Why would you guess that?

From those pics they could be almost anything. Seeing what colour the coils are would help to narrow it down a little, but the real solution is for the manufacturers to spend a fraction of a penny labeling their pickups. :rolleyes:

Does this help at all?

Stratocaster Pickup Specifications & Identification.jpg

7. fidosuperfly

Mar 3, 2014
    New Haven, CT
    This is super helpful! Thanks!

Here are the coils, which appear to be enamel. So maybe they're Texas Specials? Although I checked them again with my multimeter and the bridge pup is actually about 7.4K, which would be a bit hotter than the Texas Special bridge specs.

The guy I bought them from thought they we Eric Johnson pickups, but that doesn't seem right, based on the coils and bridge output.

Say what you will about Gibson, but at least it ain't this hard to ID their pups lol!

20180712_145644.jpg 20180712_145650.jpg 20180712_145659.jpg

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Looks like texas specials. Flat stager. Enamel and reverse wireing middle pup.

My favriote set.

I got some on my Classic Series.

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Based on the slightly shorter G pole, I don't think Texas Specials.
    I think this is a less common true Custom Shop set.
    Something like Anchos or ElDiablos, etc.

If you had a way to measure the magnets, we might have a better idea.

What do they sound like ?
    That's the real determinator.
    Are you wanting to sell them ?
    I might be interested, if for no other reason than to give them a workout ...

The-Kid likes this.

10. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2013
    Italy
    The one p'up is wound with PE wire, the other two with reddish SPN. The PE-wound one has a completely different wind pattern. The same plain 3rd string compensated mag stagger suggests the same manufacturer, which I think is a "boutique"one. Hence, the the evidence suggests the one being a rewind from a set done by a different winder, as the use of a similar but not exactly the same type of wire indicates.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I thought that a "true Custom Shop" pickup had the CS stickers?

And no, the sound is not "the real determinator" (o_O) about what they are. The sound simply determines whether or not an individual person likes them in a particular context. And, as we all know, a set of pickups in Strat A won't sound the same as the same pickups in Strat B.