Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me build pedal board for classic rock $500-700ish

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by SeaNile, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SeaNile

SeaNile Strat-Talk Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Chadds Ford, PA
    I've searched my local craigslist, reverb and even eBay looking for a pedal board to play classic rock as well as other rock type music. Budget between $500-700 or so. What are the must have effects for this? Playing through a Gilmour Black Strat. Lots of Pink Floyd, Zeppelin and some newer rock too.

If you know of one already put together and for sale on any of the mentioned sites please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    An OD, delay, and flanger at a minimum to start. With that budget and patience, you should be able to get a decent board together with that budget.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Nate D, jeepguy242 and 2-Finger like this.

3. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Boss GT100...

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Joyo vintage overdrive and ultimate overdrive. Both really good for tight budget.

5. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I don't hear Univibe yet, a useful Gilmour spice.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Just a spice though, I think he's just trying to get the meat n' potatoes together right now.

circles likes this.

7. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Crybaby.

Nate D likes this.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yes! How could I forget?

9. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

id like to know about the amp and if it has an fx loop? Does it have reverb?

In any case, Ive been on a pedal spree myself recently, all Digitech Hardwire, just in time as the last new ones sell out. I have almost all of them now except metal and tuner pedals with Supernatural reverb rather than RV7. I really really like them all, so solid and well designed and with very versatile settings. I almost got them all (overdrive, distortion, chorus, reverb, trem delay and phaser) within your max budget.

Assuming theres some reverb on the amp, I could do fine with just the overdrive and delay and one modulation. In the hardwire range, that would be the trem which includes three actual tremelo sounds plus others including very good univibe and leslie sims. That gets you through the 60's and well into the 70's.

10. AlexEP

AlexEP Strat-Talker

Nov 26, 2012
    Genoa - Italy
    I'd say:
    Crybaby
    Comp
    Boost
    OD
    RAT
    Big Muff
    Flanger/Chorus
    Phaser
    Delay
    Reverb

1980 and Stratoskater like this.

11. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Not leaving money for a power supply or actual board or stuff like that, get a boss md 500 modulation unit, a bd-2, a dd-3 and an mxr Dyna comp. if that goes over budget, buy used.

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    You need a Muff or variant of a Muff. A Rat will help for many of the DG tones too. Definitely need a uni vibe or phaser. I would also say a nice low-med gain OD for the rhythm stuff so maybe a boost pedal if you have a nice tube amp or a Catlinbread RAH to nail those Zep tones. I would throw in a good analog delay like the Carbon Copy or better yet the TC Flashback that will do analog very well plus dozens of other delays. Get a nice power supply like a Voodoo Labs and either a pedaltrain board or better yet build one to fit your set up.

1980 likes this.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This is my "classic rock" board. You don't have to have these exact pedals, but something in the ballpark will give you everything you need.

A fuzz, a couple of overdrives, a phasor/flanger, delay, and a clean boost.

IMG_1392.jpg

Nate D likes this.

14. SeaNile

SeaNile Strat-Talk Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Chadds Ford, PA
    The two amps used most of the time is a Peavey Classic 30 and a Marshall JCM2000. I was ready to buy the new Fender GT 100 with the presets but a few people mentioned pedals are a better way to go in the long run.

Thanks again.

15. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    This ^^^ or a similiar unit.

Cost, convenience, flexability, too many pluses to ignore IMHO.

BallisticSquid likes this.

16. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    And a tuner pedal.
    And a decent power supply.
    And decent cables.
    And a pedaltrain.
    All of the above would probably cost more than an Eleven rack. Buying stompboxes is a bit of a fetish, really.

2-Finger likes this.

17. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Oh.. Don't forget a tuner. :)

@Sarnodude - beat me to the tuner.. :)

18. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Behringer UM300 distortion $25
    Behringer CS400 compressor $25
    Behringer TO800 overdrive $20
    Joyo Delay $30
    Crybaby (used) $40
    Strymon Blue Sky reverb $400

Ok... based on your budget there was HALF a joke in the above. If you can get past the cheap plastic feel the performance of the Behringer pedals is quite remarkable. As an example, I recently bought an Ibanez TS mini for$80. There were nuances between in an the full tube screamer and I could see spending an extra $100 for the large version. After having it for some time I pulled out my Behringer tube screamer copy that I got for $8 and was blown away at the similarities in sound. I've contemplated replacing my UM300 distortion with another something similar and better, but this one is so good. FWIW I also have the Boss OD-2, SD-1, DS-1 and while good pedals, other than metal casings don't produce any better results for me than the cheap Behringers. Yeah, they feel really cheap, but in 4 years I've yet to break one.

And that Strymon... probably not necessary for what you're doing, but I love that pedal and would love to have it or something similar (suggestions?).

Anyway... You're probably better off going with the suggestions of the others here. I just wanted to throw that stuff out there cause there's folks who don't have a $600 budge or are just putting their toe in the water, so to speak.

Good luck.

CigBurn likes this.

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    With those amps I would look at a boost (I like the Analogman Bad Bob and Swart Atomic Boost) then maybe a Rat and Fuzz (Muff for Floyd/DG) and some modulation.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    this is my board....its very simple, but it works. ive never used delay in a band situation, and the reverb is on there because i dont like the reverb on my ac30 all that much. you could do a setup similar to this one and if you have reverb on your amp that you like you could use a delay instead. the chorus i use to fatten up the sound a little, and its not really necessary, so you could put something else in its place. the tuner is mandantory....dont leave home without it.
    i use a one spot for power and it works just fine. and the "bone" board works well for something this size. you could build one like this for well within your price range, especially if you get the stuff used.
    i also have a floor modeller, the hd500x, and it has everything you can think of and sounds pretty good. the problem with that is the learning thing....theres alot to learn just how to program the thing.
    pedlboard-1.jpg

simoncroft, oatsoda, wildhawk and 2 others like this.