Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me buy/build my first strat for blues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeremy05, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    And if they picked up somebody else's guitar, they still sounded like themselves.

2. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    Don't you just HATE that? Every time I pick up a high $$$ guitar.......it's still me playing. Dang.

Noahclem, Thin69, Nate D and 5 others like this.

3. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    Didn't read where your budget would be.

I wanted a Suhr Strat but didn't have $2000 to drop at the time so I decided to build a Suhr Pete Thorn Clone with a budget of $850. Plus I was new guitar and wanted to learn the inside and outside of the instrument so building was a great experience.

I contacted Pete on The Gear Page forum through PM and he gave me the specs on his white Suhr. It's the guitar he used in the Helix Demo on YouTube. I'm also getting a Helix in the next few weeks too.

Anyway, my MIM Arctic White HSS Strat I bought used for $349, added Suhr Pickups, Obsidian Wiring Harness, etc. and came under budget, $822. It's an awesome guitar.

If you can't find it....build it!

4. Jeremy05

Jeremy05 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Why do some have 21 frets an other 22? and I'm not %100 if I want jumbo (I like to be able to do slides) I just wanted them because that's what the greats used I want to be using the same set ups they had that's the only reason I'm going strat I'm happy with the beat up pos I have now

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    21 frets is more vintage spec, whereas 22 is modern spec.

I have a couple of guitars with jumbo frets, and have had a couple others in the past, I have never had the slightest trouble sliding on them. Don't believe the hype.

6. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I'm about to ride up to guitar center today I got it down to 3
    American special
    classic series 60s
    Deluxe
    Any opinion?

7. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Back in 1979!!!! I just bought an American Strat...my thinking being, if it was good enough for hendrix it should be good enough for me. Yeah I know there’s all the rh/lh thing, but seriously......just a Strat, almost any Strat will do the trick.....the main thing is that you love to play it. One last thing....with some Strats it takes longer than 5 minutes to fall in love.

8. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I get that but being there are so many different options with these guitars I'm trying to pick one that I can get the most out of there's still somethings im not sure on like if really want Texas special pick ups? Will haveing 22 frets vs 21 have any effect in overall tone of the guitar? I wish I could bring them all home an play with them

stratobiker likes this.

9. hamfisted

hamfisted Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2014
    Texas
    True dat

10. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

I've told this story before, but I heard that Brian Setzer played through Stevie Ray's rig once and was disappointed that he still sounded like Brian Setzer.

If I picked up anything and sounded like Brian Setzer, I sure as heck wouldn't be disappointed.

11. hamfisted

hamfisted Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2014
    Texas
    Make sure you play a Classic Vibe 50 & 60.

johnnymg likes this.

12. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Thanks I'll see if they have them

13. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis

I have the Classic Series 60's and it is my favorite of my five Strats. Love the tone, love the neck. Love the LPB finish. But really, you should decide what guitar speaks to you.

johnnymg likes this.

14. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Part of the problem is SRV and Hendrix used very different recipes to get their tone, even though SRV could absolutely nail Hendrix's tone at times.

SRV -- late 50s pickups (Bare Knuckle makes a 59 set, I think Klein and David Allen do as well), tubescreamer or fuzz face, Vox wah into a hot Fender blackface.

Hendrix -- mid- to late-60s pickups, fuzz face, octavia, Vox wah into a hot Marshall stack.

My advice is to figure out which one of those tones you prefer, and then figure out what Strat tone you want and work out from there. 50s pickups tend to give a more rounded, softer attack, but with more emphasis on the mids than the bass. Later 50s and early 60s pickups start to get hotter and bassier. Late 60s pickups are very low wind and scooped. All of them are amazing. You can get any of them at any reasonable price point you prefer, so spend as much or as little as you want, keeping about $120 or so as a baseline for a full set of new pickups. If you want to spend more, you will have ample opportunity to do that too.

I prefer 50s pickups because I find them more versatile and my Strat is a 50's style Strat with a maple neck, but neither SRV nor Hendrix used what I'm using. Still, with a fuzz face into a Marshall I can pretty well nail the Hendrix tone. So I also think you should get the pickups you prefer and concentrate more on the rest of the rig. Specifically, a good fuzz face and a wah to start. And be sure your amp can either cop blackface Fender or 60s Marshall tones. I can get close with my Mesa, not so much with my Vox. But neither really gets those tones like the Fender and Marshall amps do.

15. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

Excatly, if you want to sound like SRV or Hendrix the best you can do is to pratice to sound like them and forget about the gear. There are no shortcuts.

I remember a guy back in Sweden many years ago. Sat down with him in a rehersal space. I knew he was good at playing Hendrix stuff. I asked him to play the Monterey version of "Killing Floor". Just love that funky intro :). Anyway, it sounded spot on. The ultimate Hendrix clone and feel. He had that typical Hendrix punch and rythm in is playing and went from his soul right out thru the speakers. What gear did he use? Well, he just grabbed what was available in the rehersal space. An Ibanez Jem 777 thru a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and cabinet (typical heavy metal gear). Still amazed today about that guys playing. I can garantee that he sound more like Hendrix on that gear than 99,9% of all guitarists would do on Hendrix gear :D.

RobZ69, Borgatomic and johnnymg like this.

16. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Honestly, it's all going to come down to the neck that's comfortable for you.

I have a touch of arthritis in my left (fretting) thumb. The "modern C" profile can be fatiguing and eventually painful for me. I've discovered that a deep "baseball bat" neck with a V-shaped back corrects my bad habits and allows me to play longer without discomfort. I know there are others who feel exactly the opposite. I also like a flatter (12") fretboard radius for reasons I can't fully explain. It's just what I like.

Your mileage may vary.

Your dream guitar will feel comfortable in your fretting hand and complement your playing style. For pickups, I'd look at any vintage-voiced Strat pups like Fender 57/62 or Fat 50s, Duncan SSL-1 or Antiquity, or Wilde Keystones, or even GFS AlNiCo Vintage Stagger. But honestly, the neck is more important than the pickups. Pedals and amp choice can augment whatever pickups you choose - you'll have to live with the neck.

Choose wisely.

17. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    The way it feels in your hands is much (much) more important than how closely it conforms to some pro's specs. Go play a bunch of Strats and buy the one that feels like you'll want to pick it up every day.

(And no, you don't need Texas Specials. Get a Strat with three single coils and just work with whatever Fender put in there for a while.)

stratobiker likes this.

18. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Whatever Strat you decide on, l look forwards to you NGD post with pictures so that we call all congratulate you. Good luck in your quest Jeremy.

Dr Improbable and Willie D like this.

19. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Thanks everybody for your feedback

Willie D and stratobiker like this.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Pick one you like. If you don't find one you like, take a walk and come back in an hour. Then play them again. You'll find one that works for you.