Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me recover from noiseless pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by waygorked, May 23, 2018.

1. axlstrat

axlstrat Strat-Talk Member

May 9, 2010
    sharon pa 16146
    Noiseless get a bad rap they don,t sound exactly like a real single but they get close and no hum. and yes you have to adjust the tone on your amp. a small price to pay. setup is very important. I have 3 sets of Wilde pups 280,s 200,s L45,s the 200,s sound very close to that stratty Fender sound. but I like the 45,s and 280,s also.they have their own vibe but they get close enough if I work at it. but they are not locked in to one tone style. my sets of 200,s and 280,s have the L200 anl 280 lead pickups not the L290 which I think helps positions 2 and 4

PhatBoy likes this.

2. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    I started using Lace Sensors in 1989 and have never recovered from the reduced hum they gave me. I've never been able to gig with anything other than Noiseless pups ever since, because I simply can't stand hum of any sort. Todays Noiseless pups are a lot better than so called "purists", like to let on.

Dave Harmon and TheDuck like this.

3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Yeah, I tend to prefer noiseless myself. I don't gig, but I don't like the hum. It all comes down to personal taste. And there are also guitar players who use humbuckers, which naturally don't have hum and sound quite different.. I think there are noiseless single-coil pickups on the market that sound pretty darn good, and even some popular musicians use noiseless. Eric Clapton has used Lace Sensors, and I've heard he has also used Fender's Vintage Noiseless pickups too. I heard Alex Lifeson (of Rush) has a Strat with a Zexcoil hum-canceling pickup in it.

For the single-coil purists, I've seen some posts on Strat-Talk where people have mentioned a hum-canceling system using real single coils and a trem backplate designed to cancel hum. It looks like this is one of them:
    https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/product/bpncs-fender-stratocaster

TheDuck and fenderkev like this.

4. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-Talker

Oct 22, 2011
    Ireland
    I've had the Vintage noiseless pickups in the past and they were ok. I also had the SCN's which, in my opinion, were the worst Stratocaster pickups I have ever heard. Dull and sterile. Give me hiss and hum anytime! Again just my opinion.

5. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I too had spent most of my Strat years convinced that I was indeed playing a Strat and not some imposter (Lace Sensors, Fender Noiseless, Bill Lawrence, Area, Stack) it was in fact the MojoTones that pushed me to go back to some sort of vintage spec real single coil.

LeoSounds- Not well known but the best pickups I have owned and at a reasonable price. Not gonna hawk for em but I won't buy pickups anyplace else.

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    That is a great set!!! I have a set of them in my 80s MIJ Contemporary Strat and absolutely love them.

7. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    Not dissing lollar. Just saying that almost 300.bucks for magnets and wire is just insane. Rose will wind you the same damn thing for 70 bucks.

PhatBoy likes this.

8. Woodystrat

Woodystrat Strat-Talker

Feb 8, 2011
    Anchorage, AK
    I just don't get on with regular SC. I have played noiseless pups for so long now, that true singles just "play" weird. I mean, aside from the noise cancelling benefit, the playing dynamics of noiseless variants just "feels" right to me. I just bought a new Strat that came with CS54s and they sound fine but I hated playing those. Kinman Imp 56s are in there now and I feel I have a more representative SC sound and the interaction is far more inspiring for me to play. I think noiseless have been around long enough that they are now their own animal and preference. Pretty interesting stuff really. It would take a long time and a major commitment for me to go back to true SC. BTW, it is not as bad but I prefer noiseless strat/tele pups to HBs also. I have played them so long, that is my sonic preference. We all forge our own journey!

fenderkev and TheDuck like this.

9. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    57/62s or TexMex have been my faves but there are so many good SC options now.. Lots folks like the Rose pickups...

10. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    #1 get the Ilitch. Best upgrade to a guitar Ive ever done

The Kleins are nice pickups

57/62s I also like.

Though not 50s repro, have you looked at the NEW THROBAK Strat pups????

Theyre on my list.

Also like

Duncan 2 x SSSL1 x Duncan SSL 1C DG
    Though again not 50s

Fender Custom Shp 69s, and you could add the Duncan Twangbanger for a different bridge.

Don Mare also makes great pups.

11. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I love the 4th Gen noiseless singles in my Strat. I have the non-noiseless ones too and I prefer the noiseless ones in my Elite.

Brian H, fenderkev and TheDuck like this.

12. modavis99

modavis99 New Member!

Jul 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    Another vote for Ilitch

13. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I get the "amp under a blanket" thing with noiseless pick ups. I experienced it the first time I played a Strat Plus with Lace Sensors.
    But then, I realized I needed to change the dials on my amps and pedals.

The light came, and it was clear to me ...... I couldn't set my amp and pedals the same for noiseless pick ups as I did for "true" single coils.

Damn, what a revelation. :cool:

I can get a vintage tone, quack, etc., etc., from any noiseless pick up. Vintage Noiseless, Hot Vintage Noiseless, DiMarzio, EMG, N Series Fenders, it doesn't matter, its all the same.

If you think you need hum, buzz and low ultra low output to get that "real" Strat tone, you're mistaken.

14. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

If I am going after a late 50s sound, a set of SSL-2s (for modern fingerboard radius and plain 3rd) is very very close to an actual vintage pickup.

PhatBoy and Textele like this.

15. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    I don't mind the hum. Even at stage / festival volumes.

Though I have had the Dimarzio area 58 in the neck and middle of a Strat before, and that was a very authenticate single coil tone. To my ears at least.

Get lightning fast on working your guitar's volume knob, and it will alleviate most issues IMO. And it will also become second nature after some time.

albala likes this.

16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I gig my strat regularly and i have noiseless scn pickups. The most hated of them all.
    For live work, they are perfect.

I totally agree that they miss the mark for true single coil detail. But the trade off is worth it to me. For live situations, i wouldn't use a normal single coil.

Now in the studio, i could see guitarist not liking noiseless pickups. But that's not where i do most of my playing.

Woodystrat likes this.

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Hot noiseless are great for medium gain too or cleans.

Really underated pup.

I

Sarnodude likes this.

18. Woodystrat

Woodystrat Strat-Talker

Feb 8, 2011
    Anchorage, AK
    SCNs with 500k pots are a thing of beauty! Less vintage than the rest but glorious in their own right. The bridge pup with the tone rolled back a bit and a nice gained up signal will make most mortals piss themselves! :)

rocknrollrich likes this.

19. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Edmond, OK
    I gotta know the parameters oif this thread..... I have a '16 Nashville Tele (has a Noiseless Mid pup). Fender, alone, has several models of noiseless sets. Who are are the offenders'?
    Do you gig? Play outside of the bedroom? And the noise is everywhere?>

I've got empty Fat 50's, 57/62's and CS Tex Spl pup boxes along with SD, Lollar, and Wilde.(All good, by the way).

20. Woodystrat

Woodystrat Strat-Talker

Feb 8, 2011
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm not following you. Can you restate the question? (not trying to be an ass, just not sure what you are asking.)