Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

HELP ! Need Versatile Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by SoJo414, Jan 18, 2012.

1. SoJo414

SoJo414 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Looking for a 5 to 20 watt tube amp that is versatile for blues to hard rock. Preferred features are Celestion 12 inch with reverb and master volume capability, somewhere near $500 at the most.

Thus far have considered / played Blues Junior III and Tweed NOS, AC 15, AC 15 VR, Blackstar HT5R, Marshall Class 5, Bugera V22.

Am I missing something or are these the best options ?

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 28, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Bugeras v5 and a separate cab, the cab could be used then for other applications down the road and you can line the v5 in because it has a plug on the speaker ... Just a thought

3. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    Peavey Classic 30, or if you can find one, a Classic 20. Absolutely killer amps and the Peavey Speakers are great. They have a master volume, two channels, reverb, 3-band EQ, and presence control. I love my Classic 50 to death.

4. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 28, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    ... Almost forgot the Ibanez TSA15 has a head/cab or a combo

5. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    The classic 20 doesn't have reverb or presence control , but is still a great little amp !

6. thwilliams

thwilliams Strat-O-Master

Jun 20, 2011
    South Houston, Texas
    AC15C1! I absolutely love mine, love the tone. Love cranking it for a gig.

7. Joshua

Joshua Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2011
    Lenoir, NC
    Egnater Tweaker head/cab. No reverb, but do you really need reverb when you turn it up? ;)

8. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    It doesn't? A friend of mine had, what I thought was a Classic 20, and it had both. Must've been a Classic 30 then. I learn something new every day!

9. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 9, 2010
    indiana
    I don't think the 30's have presence because the DB doesn't. Those are usually aftermarket mods. The Peavey Classic series are great amps with many desirable attributes, IMO.

10. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    The 20 is a little beast , master volume , volume , bass , mid , treble and boost . 1 input . Run in to a 2 12 cabinet and it freakin' rocks ! It's speaker cuts off when running it to a cabinet . Really takes pedals well . I love mine and have sold most of my other amps but this one is a KEEPER !

11. SoJo414

SoJo414 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That's one of the few I have yet to play through. I heard the reverb is poor on the AC15. Any truth to that?

12. StLstrat

StLstrat Strat-O-Master

Jan 26, 2011
    Midwest
    I have a AC15C1 and love it. The reverb is not amazing but is not bad. The built in tremolo is pretty cool.

13. premgem

premgem Senior Stratmaster

Jun 5, 2011
    San Antonio
    My vote would be for the Blackstar. I have never played the lower wattage ones, but I love my HT Stage 60.

14. Wideglide

Wideglide Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2010
    Portage, PA
    Have you taken the Super Champ XD for a ride? Very versitile, and sweet sounding! Probably the last amp I'll ever need.

15. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy Banned

Nov 11, 2010
    Indiana
    ^ This. Great sounding amp and very versitile.

16. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

VHT Special 6. Awesome handwired amp for about $200. I like it so much I'm going to get a second one and play them together. I can't understand why they aren't recommended more. Excellent blackface type tones and, in boosted mode, tweed tones. From the website:

Special 6 Combo

Boutique amp players will love the Special 6’s combination of handwired tube goodness, unique features and unparalleled value. The mod-friendly Special 6 is easy to customize for home amp builders and tube amp enthusiasts.

The Special 6 gets its powerful tube sound from one 12AX7 preamp tube and one 6V6 output tube. It boasts a footswitchable Gain Boost feature that significantly expands its range of tones -- it's the only amp in its class that excels at both clean and overdriven tones, and it's the only amp in its class to offer a footswitchable boost. With the Gain Boost, players can instantly toggle between clean rhythm tones and overdriven leads, essentially duplicating the footswitchable functions of a 2-channel amp in an all-tube, handwired, simple, 2-knob package.

To further expand its range of tones, the Special 6 also features a High/Low power switch that enhances low-volume tones with extra-smooth richness (when in half-power mode). It's a great feature for recording, or for low-volume "bedroom" players. In high-power mode, it's one of the few amps in its class that is loud enough to compete with a strong drummer. The Special 6 combo is outfitted with a special high sensitivity 10" VHT Special Design speaker.

6 Watts
    One 6V6 Output Tube
    One 12AX7 Preamp Tube
    Volume and Tone Controls
    Footswitchable Boost Mode
    High/Low Power Switch
    10” VHT High-Sensitivity Speaker
    4, 8, and 16 Ohm Speaker Jacks
    Mod-Friendly Eyelet-Type Board
    Handwired

Attached Files:

17. Razorc195

Razorc195 Strat-Talker

May 19, 2009
    Texas
    Another couple of great amps are the Blackheart BH5 amps , they are good sounding and solid basic construction PCBand cabs, very mod friendly, and you can get hand wired board for $150 or $85 DYI, at MoJoTone com.

Another is the vox night train amps...

18. foxridersc013

foxridersc013 New Member!

Oct 28, 2013
    manassas
    You should play a peavey vypyr tube 60 they are sweet!and i think theyer under 500

19. rider7

rider7 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 14, 2012
    NYC

20. moondance360

moondance360 Strat-O-Master

Feb 16, 2009
    Dallas, Tx.
    A Traynor YCV40 Custom Valve 40 Combo might work for you.
    40w all tube – 12” Celestion ‘7080’ speaker – channel switching, Bronco Black leatherette, silver grill, dual foot switch.
    &729.00 new , under &600 used

Traynor YCV40WR guitar amplifier demo - YouTube