Join Strat-Talk Today

Help picking a strat please - leftie!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by andrew00, Mar 15, 2019.

1. andrew00

andrew00 New Member!

Hey,

I've been on this journey for the last few weeks about finding a new guitar. I've been out the game and am just getting back into it.

I'm looking for a 'one guitar', as in something that I'll have for a number of years, and I'm going to go with a Strat.

I've found that I can only really play thin necks. The Modern C is good, but the U shaped neck is too big for me. I played a Jazzmaster MIJ and the neck was too chunky, which is the U shaped.

From what I can see, there's limited choice as a leftie. I'm willing to spend as I plan on having the guitar for years, but if I don't need to them that's great.

From what I can see, the only neck that would work for me is the Modern C, and the player series is the only one with this naturally.

But given that you can buy replacement necks, I could also get a 'better' guitar and swap out the default chunky neck for a Modern C.

So my question is - what would you guys do?

As I said, I don't want to spend for the sake of it, but I do want something that will be with me for years and am willing to spend for that quality.

What guitar would you guys recommend I check out? Would the player series be fine for a long time use? Would you suggest I go for a higher spec one and swap out the neck? What do you think?

Thanks! I'm so overwhelmed by the options, limited as they are for a leftie, that I don't really know what is and what isn't worth doing!

2. charby

charby Strat-Talk Member

I'm in the same situation as you right now, trying to find that "one" strat that I'll have for many years. I'm leaning towards an American Professional, but at the end of the day I think it comes down to trying a bunch of guitars and finding the one that feels right. Have you gone out to your local guitar centre and played any?

I don't have any experience with swapping necks so I can't speak to that. Goodluck!

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome in Andrew, I'm glad you are getting back into the guitar.

4. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Welcome from a fellow lefty....you can find the modern "C" AmProfessional like charby stated above...along with the "Player"....they are both great guitars...

The one difference that you will need to see and try for yourself are the frets. The Player has medium jumbo (which are pretty much the standard) and the AmPro has "narrow-tall frets"....I haven't played an AmPro so I have no idea how these feel.

I own 2 "player" models and can attest that this model is a winner for Fender.

Just for grins, here is a pic of mine in Polar White...

20190312_120021.jpg

best of luck on your decision...

Nubs likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Thought the Am Pro came with a Modern C neck? My Tele is fantastic.

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Off thread but apropos another recent thread, see how you’ve twisted your wall hanger to accommodate a Fender headstock. Simple but brilliant! Hangers or stands, garyhoos1

crawdaddy likes this.
  7. crawdaddy

Thanks, I wish I could take the credit, but Hercules is much smarter than I....the holders swivel either way...

I love these holders....here is a quick pic of a righty and a lefty I just took....

20190315_104718.jpg

The holders are great as they keep the guitars perpindicular to the floor...

8. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

Technically the American Pro models come with what is called a "Deep C" neck. I can tell you from experience this neck is different than the modern C. I had one of the lefty surf green AmPros and didn't have it for long because of the neck. Traded it in for a G&L Legacy and the neck on it is much better for me.

But yes, a Player series or an MIM with the modern C neck would probably be the best bet for you. Or check a G&L Legacy or S-500. There are many other options out there, but those are the most abundant for we lefties.

Good luck!

crawdaddy likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

You could get necks and loaded bodies off sites like Stratosphere. Mix and match.

However, the Player series is a great option -- and if you like the neck then just get the whole guitar.

Go with SSS so you can get all the classic tones and if you need a humbucker then look into switching mods to get series. Or buy a loaded pickguard with HH and swap that way. I started with an HSS and later regretted it. Much better to stick with SSS.

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

You might keep an eye out for a used USA Standard. I have two, one maple and one rosewood board, and both have a very gentle "C" profile.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  11. andrew00

andrew00 New Member!

Thanks for all the replies, really cool to hear your thoughts!

I had a play with some of them today and found that the Player and American Pro series both had necks that were good for my small hands. I know the necks are really similar and they felt the same to me.

The neck of the 50s Strat (Aztec Gold one) was too thick (at least when I held it 'upside down heh).

So unless I start mixing and matching it looks like either the Player or American Pro will be the right guitar for me.

If it came down to it, which one would you guys choose?

I can afford both, but I'm not looking to spend unnecessarily.

I'll buy the Am Pro if it seems 'worth it' as an investment or whatever, but if it isn't then the Player will probably be fine too!

Essentially is it worth buying the Am Pro, given it's more than double the price, or not?

12. crawdaddy

Man, you got me excited for a quick second there when you mentioned Aztec Gold 50's strat....thought Fender might have seen the error of their ways and started offering us lefty's some better color options:D:D....oh well, that was short lived :mad::mad:

I don't think you can wrong with either model. Find one that talks to you and you will be happy for a very long time. Don't settle for "fine" though, get what you feel best playing.

As far as an investment, I don't see either model becoming a collector's guitar in the future.

Thanks to Nubs in regards to the neck shape of the AmPro :thumb::thumb:....I learned something new today, so it is a good day....

Keep us abreast of what your final decision is and of course you will need to post pics....

13. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

the Fender Elite strats have pretty thin necks and that's a good guitar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.