Join Strat-Talk Today

Help! Top E Problems

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by webego, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

I would definitely still get the old neck sorted. More so if it's a rosewood fretboard.
    And would recommend Stainless steel frets for all the bending you want to do. They can take it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I routinely do over whole step bends on 9 gauge strings.
    I haven't broken a string in years . Literally years.
    I also bend with support from another finger (middle).

I don't think any of these things are your issue.
    How hard do you pick the string before you bend it?
    Is it always over a particular fret, or any fret on the high E ?

Miotch likes this.
  3. webego

webego New Member!

Thanks again for all the pointers guys.

@rocknrollrich I've had breaks on the 4th when bending at the 5th and several breaks on the 6th when bending at the 7th.

My 5 pack of D'Addario PL010 single strings have arrived so I'm putting one straight on and will see how it goes.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  4. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

It is unusual for strings to break on the frets themselves. As it stands we have given the two possibilities for the issue (a burr or technique), but the fact that it is breaking always a fret back from where you are bending is odd.
    You might need to do some more work on the narrowing down of the issue......hopefully if you can really get the frets sanded and polished and eliminate that cause then you can see where you stand.

Guitar playing is all about a certain level of finesse. By comparison with violin (where if you don't have the finesse you sound godawful) guitar permits you to sound reasonable even as a somewhat novice. In that way, truly being able to caress a note is a skill that often comes a bit later in the learning. In many ways, that aspect becomes more about a players individual identity or style - perhaps moreso than a violin player.

5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I'm with rocknrollrich here. I play EB 9s. I bend the living crap out of my strings. Yet I cannot remember the last time I broke one.
    I can't imagine what is causing this where it happens, but with two different necks I would imagine it it has to be a common denominator. Unlikely body. Unlikely bridge. Unlikely pickups. Unlikely tuners. More likely something with technique, but I just imagine what technique you'd be using that could be different than that of many others.

6. webego

webego New Member!

I have been paying more attention to my technique and I'm very happy with the improvements made so far. The few things I am concentrating on are:
    1. Making sure to pivot on the thumb and let my arm do the work instead of my fingers.
    2. Trying to apply less down pressure on the strings whilst bending (this has been happening naturally due to point 1 as it is easier)
    3. Making sure my 'support' finger(s) are also over a specific fret (one per finger i.e. if bending on 7th with ring finger, middle on 6th and if needed index on 5th) and not bunched up too closely on the fret wire itself.
    So far so good!. At some point I might go back to a GHS .010 and see if I have the same problem.

I have all my fretting tools now so I'll take a closer look this weekend. I did have a quick skim over the new neck with a fret rocker and there are a couple of high spots (although not around the area where I was breaking strings).

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

johnnymg likes this.
  7. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

F wiw, I used GHS Gilmour set for over a year without one break and I bend it like Gilmour.

johnnymg likes this.
  8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

I used to break G strings so constantly for the first couple of years I played, that I started buying single G strings to have on hand. It hasn’t happened in a long time though, so I assume it was a technique problem that fixed itself, much like others I have had.

Since your’s are breaking right behind where you are fretting on two different necks, it gives the impression that it is a technique problem. Make sure you are pushing more across the fretboard without too much downward pressure into the fretboard.

It seems you might be “sawing” the string against the fret behind the one you are bending at, causing it to be cut by the adjacent fret.

Good luck with it!

TN703800 likes this.
  9. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

^^^^^ Yes.

I think it's technique related as others have said. Maybe you have two points of pressure on the string with the fret in between. One in front, your target note, and another behind (your reinforcement finger) and the fret between those two points. Sawing across the fret as you bend. Maybe less downward pressure on your reinforcement fingers in the bend?

Good luck, you'll get it figured out one way or the other.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

Just use dadario or EB. Problem solved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.