Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help! Tremolo problem on new strat!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rohitchhiber, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rohitchhiber

rohitchhiber New Member!

Jan 21, 2010
    Newark, DE
    I just got a mexican standard strat from musiciansfriend. Now, when i bend a string, the metal thingy at the base of the guitar (er...the bridge i think) moves - this causes the other strings to bend. So if i wanna play two notes together (on two strings) and bend one of them, i end up bending both! Is this is a defect?? Is the bridge supposed to move when a string is bent?How can i fix it? Should i return ? Please help!

2. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2008
    Blacksburg
    Do you mean the saddles or the tremelo block? The saddles are on the top of the guitar and are the arch where the strings bend and the block is on the backside of the guitar. If its the block you may need to tighten the screws on the back of the guitar holding the block down or add a few springs.

3. rohitchhiber

rohitchhiber New Member!

Jan 21, 2010
    Newark, DE
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Strato

Strato Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2009
    Stratoville
    The entire bridge is held back by springs. When you bend one string it adds pull to the bridge and the bridge will move slightly.

Enjoy the Strat, I suspect that everything is just fine and you just need to get familiar with the tremolo bridge.

6. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

Aug 16, 2009
    NYC
    what you're describing is just one of the drawbacks of tremolos. when i switched from playing a telecaster to a strat, i was really bothered by this. i've gotten used to it, but for certain styles of guitar-playing, i have to use my tele, not my strats.

you can block your tremolo to keep it from moving if you want.

[​IMG]

7. rohitchhiber

rohitchhiber New Member!

Jan 21, 2010
    Newark, DE
    o i love my new strat - but this is a problem right ? if i wanna play 2 notes together while bending one of them, the other note sounds outta tune ..

8. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

Aug 16, 2009
    NYC
    yep. unless you block the temolo or switch to a guitar without one.

9. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2008
    Blacksburg
    ...or add springs or tighten the screws in the back. he doesn't have to block the tremelo off completely to stop it from moving. i have five springs on my guitar and have never had problems when bending

10. rohitchhiber

rohitchhiber New Member!

Jan 21, 2010
    Newark, DE
    aright .. thanks guys - it's a relief to know thats just the way it's meant to be and nuttin defective wid it :)

11. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2008
    Blacksburg
    btw, is that a twelve string stratocaster? i've never seen one before

12. Strato

Strato Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2009
    Stratoville
    I wouldn't try to fix something that is not broke. Millions of players love the trem system on a Start including. Discover the wonderful things you can do with a trem.

13. rohitchhiber

rohitchhiber New Member!

Jan 21, 2010
    Newark, DE
    thats just an image i took off the net, but yeah now that you mention it ..
    apparently its a "double neck"

fender double neck. - The Fender Forum

14. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    congrats on your new guitar, and that's perfectly normal like what's been said. When you bend one string you're increasing the tension so much that it pulls the bridge towards you and makes any other notes that are ringing go a bit flat.

15. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Strat-O-Master

theres a million 12 string MIJ strats available used all over the net.
    [​IMG]

16. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Strat-O-Master

Also, I think you need to do a little research on the guitar you just purchased rohitchhiber.

17. rohitchhiber

rohitchhiber New Member!

Jan 21, 2010
    Newark, DE
    hey this thread was research.

18. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2009
    UK
    if you add more temolo springs at the back (or replace with stiffer springs) then the tremolo becomes stiffer but is still fully working, and you can bend one string with a lot less effect on the other strings.

My CV50 came with 3 springs, and the bending effect was very noticable. I upgraded the trem and springs for Callaham ones, and now the effect is a lot less. Some players like 5 springs to reduce the effect further.