Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help with used Gibson Les Paul 2012 Satin Fireburst (my first Gibson purchase)

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by waltschwarzkopf, Nov 6, 2017.

1. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar for quite some time and usually look at the classifieds for used guitars and amps that may be good offers. I have a modified strat with a fixed bridge and a single humbucker, a SS-S-S pacifica with a Wilkinson trem and sperzels, so a HH seemed like a good addition. The Les Paul bug has bitten me lately and have already tried more than a few on different stores and kind of want to buy one. I don’t want to spend too much (>1k), but sadly only the most expensive ones are left on the stores. I’ve tried a LP Classic 2017, LP Standard 2016, LP Tribute 2017, LP 50’s tribute 2016?, melody maker, faded, and other I don’t remember. Also a few Epiphones, Studio, Traditional Pro and Standard. From all those I clearly remember the Epi Trad Pro and the Gibson LP Classic.

I found this 2012 Gibson Les Paul Satin Fireburst for 600CHF (for simplicity let’s say 1CHF = 1USD) which seemed like a good deal to me. I think this would be the equivalent to the current Les paul Studio Faded 2016 T, but with different pickups and minus the coil splitting feature. After doing some research this are the specs that I have been able to find:

Serial Number: 118521381
    Brand: Gibson
    Model: 2012 Les Paul Studio
    Code: LPSTSFCHI
    Finish Color: Satin Fireburst
    Weight: 8.46 lbs
    Top Wood: Carved Maple
    Body Wood: Modern Weight Relieved Mahogany
    Neck Wood: Mahogany
    Neck Shape: 1960's Slim Taper
    Fingerboard: Granadillo
    Fingerboard Radius: 12"
    Inlays: Pearloid Trapezoid
    Scale Length: 24.75"
    Width at Nut: 1 11/16"
    Frets: 22
    Pickups: 490R and 498T with Push/Pull Coil Taps
    Magnets: AlNiCo II (neck) and AlNiCo V (bridge)
    Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 3-Way Selector
    Hardware : Chrome
    Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
    Tailpiece: Stopbar
    Tuners: Vintage Style "Kluson Deluxe"
    Case: Gibson USA Case (also included with this guitar)

What do you think? First, it is not a fake, right? Should I go for it? A friend has a Gibson LP with the same pickups and he says they are great, althought I have not played it myself I do like the sound.

The ’16 Les Pauls, either Studio faded, 50’s tribute or 60’s tribute, go for 900CHF locally and 780CHF online. I would be saving up to 300CHF with the used one, plus if I ever want to sell it I might be able to get back close to what I paid, which will never happen with a brand-new guitar. I’m thinking about offering him 500CHF or my Yamaha Pacifica 604w (4 single coils in HSS, sperzel locking tuners and Wilkinson V100 tremolo) plus 200CHF.

Thanks a lot for reading and for your advise,

Cheers,

Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

circles likes this.

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    They're good guitars and 600$ ain't a bad price.
    But I struggle with these models - a proper Gibson ought to have a binding!

If you're after an HH setup, look into Gretsch - their low-end instruments are high quality at less than 600$. Much less.
    I got my Electromatic for 200£ (at that time about 250€, so about 300$) and it's great. Semi hollow body, no less.

But if you're set on a Gibson...

Take a look at Epiphone! They're to Gibson what Squier is to Fender. Barring the electronics, their Les Pauls do all you could ever want a Les Paul to do! They offer more color choices, too, and they come with a binding. Their top tier models clock in at 500€.

But if you're set on a Gibson...

I guess that one's a good deal.

s5tuart and waltschwarzkopf like this.

3. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Oh boy, this comment got stuck in my head and now guitars without a binding just don't look the same to me...

I have, many times, and actually, consider them. I tried a traditional pro and was amazed at how well it played and sounded, I didn't care much for the coil splitting either. I even like the fact that Les Paul himself started with Epiphone! I saw an Epi LP Standard on sale with a Harley Benton 40W amp for 250CHF, which seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. I will give it a try and like a friend said, it will help me to get used to the shorter scale and knob position, also to the shape of the guitar and neck; this should help me get started in the LP world.
    Like someone once told me "When you find that one Gibson that plays well to you, it'll be a revelation. You'll know it, and it will make the decision to buy easy." I don't want to buy a Gibson just because it's a cheap find, but because I actually like it.

4. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I've only ever played one Epi - played better than all the Gibson LPs I've tried, so that's my frame of reference. I just don't see any Gibson that offers all I want for a price I'm willing to pay. Epis kinda do both.
    Maybe I should see if that one LP is still up for sale...

Edit: idk if that's if any concern to you, but the first LP I tried didn't click with my ribs and arms. And fingers. And picking habits. The different scale was about the only thing I didn't notice.
    The first SG however was a blast!
    So as an introduction to the Gibson scale, an SG might do well, too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    waltschwarzkopf likes this.

5. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Now I found this 2016 Studio Faded for 550CHF...

BUT, the seller painted over the top with a gold-green reflective paint. I know that repainted Gibsons lose their resale value, so I'm willing to pay max 500CHF

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Robins and TangerineDog like this.

6. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Hey, I love that color!
    Ok, usually I unflatteringly call it 'Käferkotz', 'Käferkotz Metallic' on cars and, as it seems now, guitars too, but I love it nonetheless!

The paintjob looks more than adequate and 500CHF sound fair. 550 would be too imho, it gives you all the features it would give you in mint condition after all and man, that finish...

It doesn't have the binding but the color lifts it beyond these criteria anyway - it's its own thing now and Inlike what it has become.
    If it plays nice and the refinish was done as well as it looks, I'd go for it!

Edit: oh, one more thing - it needs black SG-style reflector knobs asap!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Robins likes this.

7. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I like the green-gold paint. :thumb:

Dont bother with Epiphone Les Pauls. Yea, they are ok, mostly, but are not in the same category with a Gibson.

But, its up to you what is more important. Looks, or tone, playability, resale value, attention to detail, etc., etc.

craigh, Robins and dante1963 like this.

8. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Any gold type color on a Gibson are the only ones I could take without a binding

9. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich

10. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Thanks a lot for the advice! I will try to see it over the weekend. I saw a 2014 LPJ in satin fireburst that I also like. It's at 590, but I hope to get it lower.

11. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    I love the greenish/gold finish and it is a superb job. That is a pro job.
    I would buy it in a heartbeat. Great looking with gold knobs and all.
    The only thing missing is the neck binding (I know they don´t have that anyway). But that could be faked easily with some white nitro spraying.
    If you don´t buy it let me know the seller, thanks.

All the best,
    Robin

12. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Agree with the other comments. That thing is beautiful. Most refinishes seem to take something away from the guitar, and it’s not often that one blows away the OEM options- but this one totally does.

Buy that thing and put some black reflectors on it, so we can all see pictures of it with the knobs God intended for her.

TangerineDog likes this.

13. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Not keen on a black back but that's personal preference. My friend has a Studio from 2012 or so and it plays well. Same pickups as my Custom. I prefer the fit and finish on my LPC but I have no trouble getting his Studio to sing.

14. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talker

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    Some of the studios in burst colors besides that fireburst will show the edge of the maple cap, simulating natural binding. Mine does. I'm at peace with it for now. Don't wanna modify it too much incase I want to sell it and get one with binding. 20171119_125353.jpg

15. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I would generally stay away from any refinish. Just my knee jerk reaction................. many/most are going to fail badly.

If you're looking to taste the waters on a LP for cheap you should keep an eye out for a used Epi LP. They are a much better "deal" on the used market. I think the higher end Epi's are better than the lower end Gibby's.

16. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Just buy it already!

I usually make it to Europe a couple times per year, and you’ve got a guaranteed buyer if you decide you don’t like it.

17. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Pretty sweet looking with the green gold. Like that one pimp used to say "green for the monies, gold for the honies".

18. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    I have now an Epi LP Custom and an Epi LP Plus Top. I might buy this Gibson over the weekend.

Inverness likes this.