Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hendrix tone on "Wind Cries Mary"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TNTales, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Strat-O-Lady

Strat-O-Lady Former Member

Aug 28, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Thanks so much for all of your awesome comments on my cover and other songs :D I just love playing the guitar...it's one of the purest joys in my life. I'm glad it comes through in my music.

TNTales - I totally didn't mean to hijack your thread! My original intent was to demonstrate that you can get the tone in The Wind Cries Mary on pretty much any decent Strat (doesn't matter if the pick-ups are alnico or ceramic)...however, if you're itchin' for a new set of pick-ups, then I say go for it!! If I could afford ones like the Custom 69s, I'd get 'em too. Good luck on your quest for tone! :D

2. woodsie831

woodsie831 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2010
    Boston
  3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Sep 18, 2006
    Brackley, Great Britain
    So true. It makes me laugh at times when many people talk about an age when they weren't even born, as if something magic was around.

Whilst I was in no way as talented or famous as the people you mentioned, at least I was there and I can confirm that majority of people used stock guitars and amps. Yes there was the occasional experimentation. I took an electric sander to one of my guitars, not to improve the sound, just to change the colour.

Guitars and amps these days are way better that the stuff we had access to, so people should be grateful they are living in an age when they have access to some fabulous stuff.

As you say, quite rightly IMO, the real magic was, and still is, in the hands and minds of the musicians, not the equipment.

4. woodsie831

Feb 20, 2010
    Boston
    they were lucky enough to have true vintage guitars, pickups, amps. we're lucky to have access to re-issues and close approximations. no one's denying the fact that only Jimi was the reason for his sound, and Stevie was the reason for his sound. we live in an age where we have the technology to fine tune our instruments any way we want. we have alot more choices than they had then.

5. johnreardon

Sep 18, 2006
    Brackley, Great Britain

How did they have true vintage guitars? :confused:

My 62/63 Strat was a year old when I bought it, my Guild and other guitars I had, were all brand new.

My Vox, Carlsboro and Marshall amps/cabs were also all new when I bought them.

No, this vintage myth didn't exist back then. It has come about because of the prices that old Fenders and Gibsons fetch, and places like this where some people think it's the equipment not the player:rolleyes:

6. DKoor

DKoor Strat-O-Master

Nov 7, 2009
    Croatia
    This is the very much the truth. All there is about it.

No steel trem block, no virgin birdseye maple, no custom pups... nothing of that will ever make a good player.
    Only at least a bit talent and very long & hard practice:cool:.

7. woodsie831

Feb 20, 2010
    Boston
    what i meant was... they had stock what is an upgrade for most of us.

8. johnreardon

Sep 18, 2006
    Brackley, Great Britain
    Why do you think it is an upgrade? :confused:

Fender & Gibson sell Custom Shop reissues mainly because of this vintage myth.

Don't get me wrong, the CS reissues are excellent products. I have a few myself, but honestly they are not an absolute necessity, as the stock Strats, Teles & LPs are better and relatively cheaper, than the stock stuff we had.

I wish we had the variety you have today. There's never been a better time to play guitar, than today.

9. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2008
    Minnesota
    soooo true. the only "effects" that I had when I started playing was an amp with reverb and tremolo built into the amp. you got distortion when you turned up the volume on the amp and the guitar.

nowadays, there is an "effects" pedal for just about every sound that you can dream up. the availability of "big" name guitars is great. guitar stores used to "specialize" with one brand of guitar. i.e. Gibson, Fender, or Gretsch just to name a few. I can remember seeing Rickenbacher(sp) guitars in a form of discount store. so, I thought of them as a lesser quality guitar.

oh, the guitars that we had back then weren't "vintage" when we got them. they were "new". :D I never thought of my 1959 Gretsch as being "vintage", but here it is 50+ years old. and I guess that my 1973 Les Paul Deluxe is "vintage" now, too. I must be getting old. ha ha not yet ! :D

10. woodsie831

Feb 20, 2010
    Boston
    this was pretty much the only point i was trying to make.

11. Wideglide

Wideglide Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2010
    Portage, PA
    I've always wanted to know how he got that "angry bees" sound on Crosstown Traffic.

12. PhilB

PhilB Strat-Talk Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Canada
    It's a Kazoo (really. At least, as far as I know).

Phil

13. adamjn

adamjn Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    I'd weight in with neck pickup, playing close to or actually over the end of the fretboard, and a fairly pristine amp tone with some reverb. It's helpful to remember that there's ALOT more to Jimi's recorded tone (or anyone else really who was recording pre-digital) than guitars and amps. Mic choice, the recording desk, mic pre, and studio compressors were often tube driven in those days. Add to that the "limitations" of analog tape and mastering to vinyl, and really what you're hearing has been "warmed up" (distortion added) and compressed several times.

14. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2008
    Minnesota
    and don't forget about "overdubbing". it was used alot back then. just listen to Cream from back in that era. if you listen close enough, you can hear where Clapton's leads break and start again. of course, I just about wore those albums out trying to learn the songs. I've never listened to Hendrix as close as I did Cream, though.

15. adamjn

adamjn Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    Same here. I remember when I started playing guitar, my parents refused to let me have anything by either Hendrix or the Stones (not that it stopped me, makes me nostalgic for cassette tape!). Cream wasn't on the banned list. My favorite Cream, however, was the live set on Wheels of Fire, especially Spoonful. I still can't get over Clapton's phrasing and tone, and how during parts of his soloing it sounds as if his guitar is literally breathing.

Speaking of live stuff--and maybe we should move this to a new thread--but did anyone ever own a copy of the Jimi Hendrix Concerts album? There's a nearly side-long version of Stone Free that is breathtaking!

16. Wideglide

Wideglide Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2010
    Portage, PA
    They also used tape-loop delays back then, in the days before digital.

17. Strat-O-Dawg

Strat-O-Dawg Strat-Talk Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hey TNT where did you go? This was your thread. Hey guys, I guess we scared him away! Anyway, if you're out there, get yourself a decent guitar, a decent amp and play, play, play every day. That's the most important strategy (no pun intended). Pick up that guitar each and every day. The tone you are looking for will show itself to you before you know it! No fancy boutique equipment required.

18. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    You know, my kids got a Strat Mini from Santa a few years back. Never gets used! ; - (

But since it's shorter scale, the strings are very bendy and playing Hendrix/Blues licks is never easier! And the ceramic PU's actually have some oomph in them. The only thing that stinks is it goes out of tune relatively easy. And that's even with me lubricating the nut, etc...

19. Strat-O-Lady

Strat-O-Lady Former Member

Aug 28, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I've heard a lot of good things about those Strat Minis (specifically with regard to the tone). I may have to try one out one of these days!! It would make for an excellent travel guitar :)

20. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    You know, not bad for a guitar fitted with the cheapest pickups and wiring, along with a NON-WOOD body. Yes it's some sort of plastic resin!