Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hendrix tone on "Wind Cries Mary"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TNTales, Apr 30, 2010.

1. gretev

gretev New Member!

Oct 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    in 1964 Fender changed from using formvar wire to enamel wire which gives the Strat a very mid scooped tone. In 1965 for one year only they changed to polysol wire which gives the Strat a very pronounced midrange and an upper midrange squawk. in 1966 and subsequent years Fender switched back to enamel wire. I agree with the consensus that any Strat pickup with enamel wire will get you Hendrix tone for days. In my opinion a 1966 Stratocaster specifically renders that "Wind Cries Mary" tone. It has a scooped mid sound, it is dark and yet has pronounced highs.

sonny wolf likes this.
  2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Pretty good video on the subject ...

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    TheDuck likes this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I'd say that the exact make and model of pickup is one of the least important bits in the signal chain to get the sound of WCM. Just use any strat with a neck single coil and look into the amp/effects.

TheDuck likes this.
  5. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Jul 28, 2018
    UK
    That's a great video, thanks for sharing.

6. Pythonman

Pythonman Strat-Talk Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Indiana
    I heard a guy just about nail that tone long ago using an American Standard Strat into a tweed Blues Deville or a tweed Blues Deluxe with just a hair of reverb. If you listen to Jimis guitar tone on the Are You Experienced album the sounds are fairly attainable on Manic Depression and Hey Joe, and the rest of the album forget about it. Wind Cries Mary the guitar sounds almost like an organ, and Purple Haze is completely unreal. Nobody now nor ever is going to get those sounds. Will I live Tomorrow? No way. Love Or Confusion? I’ll take Confusion for $500.

Cerb likes this.