Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hohner Strat - Made In Japan - Any Info ?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Chuck Frisbee, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Chuck Frisbee

Chuck Frisbee New Member!

Hi folks,
    Bought a salmon pink Hohner Strat copy from a charity shop this morning. It has a maple neck, white scratchplate and 5 position switch. Its in good condition, and has "Made In Japan" on the neck plate. It has a good feel, solid and a good weight. It just says "Hohner" on the headstock.
    I bought it mainly because of the 3 magic words, "Made In Japan", and hope I've got a bargain, however I can't find anything much on the web about these, and would be hoping to re-string, set up and re-sell.
    Does anyone know anything about these ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

my grand dad has a couple of acoustics from this company, they are pushing 40 years old and are still in great condition.. so i can say that their acoustic products last the test of time.

as for the company, ive seen that name on a lot of mouth harps too..
    looking through the website, it claims they have been in production for 150 years, they make a lot of harmonicas, accordians, acoustics, the website boasts quality, but then again what website wouldnt boast quality, its there for marketing..

3. RussV

RussV Strat-O-Master

Hohner have made guitars for a long time varying from budget to very expensive. Have you tried HarmonyCentral for reviews? I noiced some on there for a Hohner Strat 'Special' which were all very positive. Trouble is, if you are going to sell it and no one knows if they are good what price are you going to get. If it plays well why not keep and mod it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chuck Frisbee

Hard to justify keeping it as I have one or two guitars - including a vintage strat - and my wife says I don't play the ones I have often enough. I only paid 35 quid for it so would be hopeful of a wee profit.

6. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure Prince plays a Hohner tele. And like said earlier, they might be the industry standard on harps.

7. totnesdave

totnesdave Strat-Talker

They had a range of copies out in the early/mid 80's for sure I saw quite a few Strats and Tele's retailed for about 150 quid back then, looked a bit better possibly than the beat up old Maya I had at the time, and were quite accurate copies with a proper Fender shaped headstock and everything.

Prince did indeed play a Hohner "Prinz" Tele-like model, it was a rather higher priced premium model of theirs and had some finer woods in it than the standard, I remember playing one once.

That's a real bargain ... why don't I find things like that languishing in charity shops !

Pictures please !! ... I love this old stuff I used to see hanging round guitar shops and wonder what happened to it all, Hohner, Maya, Fresher, Columbus, Harmony, Kay, Satellite, Antoria etc etc :)

8. GuitarAJ

GuitarAJ Most Honored Senior Member

I only thought Honer made harmonicas........so Im wrong :)

9. tomstrat1968

tomstrat1968 Strat-Talker

I friend of mine has a 335 copy

10. HohnerFan

HohnerFan Strat-Talker

hohnerguitars.de.tl

all you need to know about Hohnerguitars, its in German but a english version is coming soon.........I promise:)

Greetings from Germany

11. Chuck Frisbee

God bless Gerd !

:)HohnerFan you are a star ! Are you in fact Gerd, who has given me the info I needed from the website quoted above after I sent an email ?
    For anyone interested here is the good news, and some pics.
    This is the email response from Gerd, from the website above :-
    "You are the proud owner of a Hohner HG-425S from 1977, maybe one or two years later.
    I found the guitar in a catalog scan from 1977, its only the sunburst version there but I think yours were build at 1977 too.
    A really nice guitar with real good specifications, I have never seen a Hohner from before 1980!
    And the second, I never know that the older Hohner were build in Japan, the Hohner Professional Guitars were build by Cort in Korea."
    I have asked Gerd for the spec.

In the meantime here are the pics (as long as I've loaded them correctly).

Attached Files:

12. HohnerFan

HohnerFan Strat-Talker

Thank you and yes I am:)

13. Claes

Claes New Member!

Maybe you could help me too Gerd. I managed to do the exact same thing a few years ago. I found an old Hohner in a charity shop and picked it up and fell in love with it. It was in pretty bad state so the £50 the asked for actually sounded like quite a lot at first, before I picked it up. It plays like a dream and sounds awesome and is my main strat nowadays. I would love to know how old it is. Here are some pictures, maybe Gerd or someone else could help me. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. HohnerFan

HohnerFan Strat-Talker

Hi

I think your Hohner is from 1985, the first two digits on the serialnumber on the headstock:)
    .....is it possible to make some pics from under the pickguard, that would help a lot.

Greetings!

15. Claes

Claes New Member!

Sure, next time I change the strings I will take some pics under the pickguard. I don't think I have ever taken the pickguard off. So the number indicates that it's from 1985, well that would make sense since the number starts with 85. I thought it might be older since it has a massive Seventies headstock but maybe the Hohners always had that. Thanks for the help.

16. hohnerlover12

hohnerlover12 New Member!

Hi I have a Hohner strat pink one I wonder if you could tell me anything about it and is it one of the lower or better models and its age? I think its 70's but I could be wrong is it the same thing which Prince played but a strat verison?

would be great to hear from you guys George

17. hohnerlover12

hohnerlover12 New Member!

18. steeplejack

steeplejack New Member!

Markhams is a pawnbroker

Got a surprise when I saw that label as I've been in Colchester a long time. What's more I know someone who has or had a Hohner Strat in mauve colour - I was looking at this thread, to learn a bit more about the Hohners.

19. steeplejack

steeplejack New Member!

Looks like a bargain.

How's it going, pleased?

20. oldmark

oldmark Strat-Talker

Hohner used really GOOD wood for those guitars...even had Tele's with all maple bodies. They were solid well made an generally good players. You stole it.

Keep it - you won't regret it!

mark

21. MAGIK_WEDGE

MAGIK_WEDGE New Member!

i have the same guitar as this, i think, and it is exactely as you described but creme with a tortoise pick guard. it plays so well but i am stuck in the same area as you as i cant find ANYTHING out about this guitar. i got it for free from freecycle and i am never selling it!