Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Holy cow...look what I just got for $79.99!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by cliffenstein, Jul 4, 2018.

1. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    Okay, here we go.

The new MIM Tremolo assembly came in, too...except that it wasn't really an MIM Tremelo assembly...it was the exact same pot metal block and saddles that this guitar already has. So it's going back immediately.

The great thing is...this guitar has a full size claw and very good screws throughout. So I don't have to worry about the entire assembly...I'll just be getting a MIM bridge with big block.

This guitar is like new. All the plastic was still on the pick guard and the tremolo cover. There are no blemishes or fingerprints on it anywhere. I can't believe I got this guitar for $79.99!

The neck is fantastic...just absolutely fantastic. It's the same depth as the modern MIM necks, but with more shoulders and smoother fingerboard edges (almost rolled...very comfortable). The frets are vintage size and there's no fret sprout at all.

The tuners are fantastic...they are definitely staying. The nut is good, too.

I will be getting my JB Jr pickup installed in the bridge position, putting in the new big block bridge and getting the action and intonation set this coming Sunday.

I initially had plans to get the body painted white, but I'm digging this mid 70's overall look a lot and so I think I'm going to keep it that way.

I am EXCEEDINGLY happy with this purchase...I'd be a maniac not to be!

PICS (apologies for taking these after removing the strings):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    JustABluesGuy and Chont like this.
  2. Silverstrat69

Silverstrat69 Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Wow very nice! Looks like GC's mistake worked out in your favor in the end!

cliffenstein likes this.
  3. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    I forgot to put neck measurements in my previous post. I don't have the best measuring tool, but the most accurate measurements I could get are as follows:

.846" at first fret (21.5 mm)
    .905" at 12th fret (23 mm)

So, very similar to MIM Standard, but with more shoulder.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Well played.

You really should find out who that Ops guy’s boss is, and let him know how his dude did you right without stressing-out the customer/vendor relationship.

It’s working nugs like that that really maintain the value of a brand, and whoever that Ops guy was is doing his company right. The company should know that- both for the benefit of the company, and us, its patrons.

Dude deserves an “ata boy”, and the company will be better off for realizing it.

5. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day

I agree, with a couple of caveats.. I'd first ask the person I dealt with if he thinks its a good idea. I've seen people get reamed/disciplined for doing such things from the higher up folks less attached to customer concerns than the bottom line. They potentially could view it negatively and believe that once the rep stated it was incorrectly advertised and the customer declined the current offer, that he should have held there.

Not saying that's the case, but something to consider. Corporations can be strange beasts.

Chont, cliffenstein and GunMonkeyINTL like this.
  6. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    It was the operations manager that I was dealing with. I'm sure that's why he had so much say in getting this done.

medicchief likes this.
  7. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    Fender Standard big block tremolo bridge came in today. It was a perfect fit and all 5 springs are in. I'm going to GC after work today to buy a Fender 5 way switch and plain black pickup covers. The overall wires and caps inside look good, so I won't replace those. I've already got two clean CTS pots as well so the mini pots will be gone. Sunday will be rewire day (going to a two knob layout to get the volume knob out of my way). Eventually, I'll get a replacement pickguard from Warmoth, but for now I'm just going to plug the hole nearest to bridge with a black plastic plug from Lowe's.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    CigBurn likes this.
  8. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

"I don't need this, but at that price..." No, I've never said that. Never. Never.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

That's a really nice guitar. Looks like Indonesian factory for Samick from the serial number, but that's from memory, worth looking up. The Indonesian factory seems to put fret side markers centered right on the glue line between fretboard and neck as if showing off their build skill. Looks like a nice chunky neck carve like a Tele.

A couple of alternatives:
    ... when you get the Warmoth pickguard, see if they have a reverse angle bridge 'jimi hendrix slant' -- it makes the lows bite a bit more and mellows out the highs a bit.
    ... look up the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod. It's only a couple of wire swaps which you'll be messing around with to put the new switch and pots in anyway. You will need all three knob locations as the second tone pot becomes a blender. The guitar plays like a normal SSS 5-way but you can start to blend in a little or all the way to get series output for an HSH plus a couple of out of phase options in 2 and 4 positions.
    Look up the Breja Toneworks youtube video for a step by step.
    I use the DABM on all my player Strats -- a stealth Les Paul is always at the ready and better since you can adjust a little one side or the other depending on what you are playing.
    Typical Strat single coils are around 6k so you get 12k in series which is close to the famous hot humbucker designs, or less if you dial back.
    Very versatile.
    ... Switchcraft jack, it's about $4 most places but makes for a great feel plugging in plus will last years longer.

10. cliffenstein

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    Alright...my luthier buddy had me come over tonight after work and we got the entire thing done.

Switchcraft output jack
    Fender USA Pickup Selector Switch
    .047 orange drop cap (the big one)
    Full size CTS pots
    Enlarge pickguard knob holes to 3/8"
    Fender USA pickup covers
    Install JB Jr
    File nut slots for 11 gauge strings
    Adjust neck
    Set action to my preference
    Set intonation

Guitar $84.23
    Fender big block bridge $28.87
    Straplocks $13.95
    Output jack/toggle/pickup covers $25.56
    Labor $10 (obviously a friend deal)
    3/8" hole plug $1.15

Total monies spent: $163.76 (includes all taxes...there were no shipping charges on anything, JB Jr was a gift)

I like this pickguard set up like this a lot. I will not be replacing it.

When I stumbled upon this deal, I wanted to found out once and for all if a well made, but inexpensive assembly line guitar could be brought in line with its much more expensive counterparts. I understand that the above isn’t anywhere near the norm as far as cost of materials and luthier work, but it has been a delight to find out that it absolutely can be done. This guitar feels, plays and sounds amazing...I am pleased. It’s a keeper.

Final PICS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018