Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Home-made Relic Artist

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guy Named Sue, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I don't got anything against relic guitars, but I do have something against people relicing and ask for an upcharge when it comes to sell. I consider it as a modifications when you do this, don't matter if it's done good or bad it devalues the object.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=132321673278

If you want to make a name for yourself as a relic artist there are plenty of aftermarket neck and body suppliers you can buy off and relic them and turn them into guitars. Ask what ever you want for those, I won't have any problem with that.

circles likes this.

2. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    My argument would be the use of the word artist unless preceded by one specific word

Kester likes this.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I agree with you 100%.

4. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You mean like "bullshirt"?

5. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Meh.... not a relic fan to begin but overpriced IMHO. I wonder who buys these things????

Yves likes this.

6. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Partscasters are a joy. Strat-Talk Supporter

Cant wait to see the first Pro series relicd..:whistling:

Stratoskater and Yves like this.

7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Near enough

Ebidis likes this.

8. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    No different to what the custom shop does, whatever floats yer boat.

jvin248 likes this.

9. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    There is a difference, one is made and advertised as relic/aged and priced accordingly to how limited it is etc. This one though was a new guitar in new condition for below 2k that this amateur buys and relics and now put out for sale for above 2k Price.

Ebidis likes this.

10. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    People who don't know how to use a belt sander?

11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I've never been a fan of so called homemade relics (especially poly!), which seem to be done by blind epileptics with a belt sander. But this one looks pretty convincing.

Wear patterns look right, checking check, corrosion look to be appropriate and even.

Yves likes this.

12. 5way

5way New Member!

Jul 6, 2017
    Phoenix
    It's it's own kind of art form now, right? Everybody has their own take on this issue. It's time/labor intensive - dude's just trying to get paid. He's also ready to leap from the shadows and be recognized as a relic-master! Please reconsider buying before he cuts one of his ears off.

lineboat and Yves like this.

13. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    I like a good relic job and this one certainly looks it. Very nicely done.

Different strokes.

jvin248 likes this.

14. 5way

5way New Member!

Jul 6, 2017
    Phoenix
    The relic case is a nice touch. But I wonder if it includes the vintage case "smell" feature. You know, it's like a waft of ciggies and ketchup when you open it up. He doesn't mention it in the listing.

jvin248 likes this.

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I will agree that I have seen worse relic jobs, much worse, and he did a pretty good job, but the fact still remains, that he took an American Standard Strat ($1,000-$1,300 new $700-$800 used), reliced it, and wants to sell it for $2,000. Sorry, not in my world.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Stratoskater, Guy Named Sue and Kosh like this.

16. 5way

5way New Member!

Jul 6, 2017
    Phoenix
    IMG_0260.jpg
    This bad boy was $475.00 with case.
    Seafoam over sunburst. Now we're talkin.

lineboat likes this.

17. 5way

5way New Member!

Jul 6, 2017
    Phoenix
    It's kind of an imaginary thing anyway right? Most vintage guitars that I own or have seen up close look "klutzed" not "relic". Perhaps that will be a new genre that Fender and independent klutz artisans can squeeze a premium out of.

Ebidis likes this.

18. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think you're right. I have owned guitars with nitro finishes that I played hard for 15 years, and they never achieved that level of wear. Other than fret wear.

19. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    I don't see the issue, if someone wants to pay for it then that is their prerogative He's not trying to pass it off for something it's not. In the end the market will dictate if it overpriced or not ( which it is in IMO ).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    CeltRocka, Mr Dunlop and CigBurn like this.

20. DeadCircuits

DeadCircuits Strat-Talker

Aug 25, 2016
    GB
    As long as someone is honest about what something is, I fail to see why they can't ask whatever price they want. Its down to the individual if they actually part with their cash.

I don't mind relics. I think there's a level at which they become absurd. I know SRV and Rory Gallagher had pretty mashed looking strats but generally the level of wear on old instruments is very subtle. I would to see more people taking heed of this.

I've not had the good fortune to see a vintage strat in the flesh but its probably the 2nd most common search I do on google images ;) most often theres the odd chip and some forearm wear and the hardware is corroded a bit along with some checking, and other than that they look in pretty good nick. When I see things that look like someone has been using it as a skateboard I just dont get why its appealing