Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hondo II strats

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by rudarb, Nov 29, 2009.

1. rudarb

rudarb Strat-Talker

Hi,

Had a Hondo II strat copy for a long time. The pickups and knobs were all black and the pickguard was white so I painted the body white too, with the rosewood fretboard it looks good, like ritchie blackmore's strat. Anybody know anything about these, I havent found much about them.:rolleyes:

2. Hugh

Hugh Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a Hondo II precision bass copy back around '81. I think it came stock with a Dimarzio split pup.

I look through my old guitar mags from time to time. There are Hondo ads in them. If I notice a strat ad I'll send you an image of it. I'm guessing yours is a late 70's model.

Check out the wiki info

Hondo (guitar company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. lemacque

lemacque Strat-Talk Member

I have a black Hondo H76 Strat copy in the attic, you've tempted me to get it down & put it back together. If I recall, the body weighs a ton, and is made of some kind of ply. Decent pickups though I think.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rudarb

rudarb Strat-Talker

Yes they are heavy, it surprised me. THe pickups sound okay, they have black covers on them, cant see the magnets. I would like to know more about them though, just cant really find anything. Ive read the wikipedia artcile before, thats the farthest ive got though

6. rudarb

rudarb Strat-Talker

Heres some pictures of it during and after the painting process, theyre only cell phone pics, sorry.

Attached Files:

7. rudarb

rudarb Strat-Talker

No one else? The search continues I guess...

8. kramerfan1

kramerfan1 Strat-Talk Member

I have one of these i think. Does it have a serial # sticker on the neck plate? If so what does it say? Mine has a cheap vintage tele style bridge with an ashtray cover. The pickups sound awesome for single coils.

9. gliderider22

gliderider22 Senior Stratmaster

I have a Hondo 2 but it's a LP copy. My Hondo is a great playing and sounding guitar for what it's worth.

10. hanusanusmusic

hanusanusmusic New Member!

I've got a Hondo 760 Strat copy, white w/black hardware & pickguard. plays amazingly, lovely neck. Can't find any info on them though, maybe they only made one?!

11. esphanneman

esphanneman Strat-Talk Member

I had an orange one many years ago. I believe I paid $75.00 for it (this was 1983).

12. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

Do you by chance have any pics of it? I had one of these years ago and loved it. Besides the fact that it had a bolt-on neck I actually thought it was a very good copy, all the contours were right and everything. Mine was a wine red color and it was patterned after the Les Paul Custom with all the extra inlays and binding. The stock pickups it had were horrible--I bought mine used and the previous owner had installed a Dimarzio Al DiMeola model in the bridge position, but the neck p/u was stock and I had to replace it. Upon removing the cover from it out of curiosity I found just a single bobbin and coil in a humbucker housing. I wish I still had that guitar, but after I turned 18 and left home for the military my mother sold it out from under me. I never even got the money for it from her. She did the same thing with an old Civil War musket I used to have too...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. jimmiraz

jimmiraz Senior Stratmaster

I have a Candy Apple Red one. I bought it in 1980 or 81.
    I've changed just about everything you can on it over the years.
    The original tuners were about the worst i've ever seen.
    The neck actually quite nice, it ended up being my first attempt at scalloping a neck.
    I was just looking at the neck the other day thinking it wouldn't be bad to put the neck on a new project.
    I put a Carvin bolt on neck on the body in the early 90's
    I agree the plywood body is a bit heavy but with all the upgrades over the years it's a fine playing and sounding guitar.

I have quite a cool wiring in this guitar.
    It has a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge, an early 80's USA Fender standard bridge pu in the mid, and a 80's blue Lace Sensor in the neck.
    It has 5 mini switches, 3 for pickups on/off, a phase and dual sound switches for the X2N.
    2 vol, and a master tone knob. One vol for neck and bridge and the other for the mid pickup.(Fender pots)

I can dial in a lot of different tones on this guitar. It's a hot little set up.
    At one time it was my work horse, lots of gigs, jams, and practices on her.

I have the guitar at my lady friends house along with my line 6 flextone II
    for those times she wants to be woo'd if you know what I mean... LOL

Did I say damp panties?
    Nice sounding guitar it is.

14. AussieBob

AussieBob Strat-Talk Member

Pretty crappy guitar

I have one from the early 80's - haven't played it since then either - got too many other quality guitars now.

I've still got it as it was my first electric guitar which I used in my first school band and I obviously never got drunk enough to sell it. It does weight a lot and did always sound very top heavy on the tone.

The intonation on the B-string was and still is completely untunable, I tried last month to redo and I got the same result I always got with this cheap not very good guitar. Some thing is not right with this guitar.

Perhaps I've kept it to one day burn it on stage while doing a Hendrix number

15. davidKOS

davidKOS Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a dark color Hondo II Strat copy for a while...it was actually a decent guitar on the level of a MIM Strat. I gigged with it for a couple years, too.

16. youngalistai

youngalistai Strat-Talk Member

hi picked up a couple of guitars ex high school music band i think... hondo 11 twin humbuckers strat type serial no. hd 910ab so i guess thats a 1991 having more trouble trying to age the kimbara strat (very nice looking) 70s looks like greco strat i think serial no.1068492 is this 1968 ?? tuners are crap so will get wilkinsons and needs pups would a loaded pick guard be better if so which make ? this will be my project guitar so have a budget and still a novice

17. Gearssnipe

Gearssnipe New Member!

Is it work spending $20 on?

Hi there!

So I am going to bid $1 + $19 s/h on a Hondo II strat knockoff so I can have a guitar to beat the tar out of overseas while on a Merchant vessel... is it woth that much? I want it to at least sound in tune so when I get back home and play my other guitars I don't sound like butt.