Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hot Rails and Single Coils

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by DBSG-STRAT1976, Dec 7, 2016.

1. DBSG-STRAT1976

DBSG-STRAT1976 Strat-Talker

Mar 6, 2016
    US
    This topic has probably already been discussed, so I was wondering if adding a Hot Rail pickup in the neck position, an reversed wound Strat 69 single coil in the middle, and a normal Strat 69 in the bridge would effect my 50s Player Strat? OR stick with 3 Fat 50s single coils instead?

The factory single coils in this guitar are just not getting the job done...my 57 AVRI is just so much better, but I don't want to ignore my 50s player that I received as a gift. The person bought it because I mentioned that I wanted a Daphne Blue Stratocaster.

2. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    What type of sound do you want? A Hot Rails in any position is going to be super thick sounding, and in no way like a Strat at all. Usually a hotter pup in the bridge position is the way a lot of people mod their Strats pup wise. I have Fat 50s in my Am Std, and they are a great sounding vintage type Strat pup.

stratman323 and DBSG-STRAT1976 like this.

3. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2015
    Eden Prairie
    I would avoid the Hot Rails in the neck unless all three pickups were going to be high output humbuckers. The Hot Rails would overwhelm the volume of the other two, regardless of which single coils they were.
    I would be inclined to use a matched set (ie all hot 50's) or put the hot pickup in the bridge if you need/want that tone.

Good luck!

DBSG-STRAT1976 and MagnusR like this.

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I have a Hot Rail in the neck position and a full sized Duncan JB in the bridge position of one of my guitars. The Hot Rail is completely adequate for that sort of high output, dual humbucker setup.
    As a side note, I left the stock, lower output, single coil (whatever it is) in the guitar. That makes position #3 VERY low output and basically unusable by itself HOWEVER positions #2 & #4 are very decent. I like them so much that I've resisted swapping out that middle pickup for fear up messing up the great sounds that I'm getting in those positions. I wouldn't say it's quack and it's not too stratty, but they are real nice flavors to have on hand.

Good luck with your setup!

5. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2015
    Eden Prairie
    I had a Hot Rails in the bridge of my main Strat for years. I was playing in a cover band where we did all kinds of different stuff. The hot Rails was perfect for that, and could get great high gain rock tones instantly. Great pickup in the right place.

6. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

A neck Hot Rails sounds nothing like a single coil, so just understand that before you proceed..it will certainly be louder than any regular single coils in the guitar, too. I don't know if that is what you are expecting, though. Hot Rails sound like thick humbuckers, and can easily be 3x louder than a single coil.

alainvey and DBSG-STRAT1976 like this.

7. DBSG-STRAT1976

DBSG-STRAT1976 Strat-Talker

Mar 6, 2016
    US
    Thanks for the input everyone...I'm going to go with the Fat 50s, save the Hot Rails for my next Strat. Keeping my Soloist with the Humbuckers and my Strats with Single Coils.

Newstratbuilder likes this.

8. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    AVRI should have the same 'factory' pups as the classic player...

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Captain Crapocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    I don't think the AVRI has a reverse wound middle pickup, could be wrong.

10. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    This is correct, I think ^_^

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

11. merseymale

merseymale Strat-Talk Member

Jul 1, 2014
    LIVERPOOL
    Then why not get a mega switch or super switch and get 5 useful sounds instead of 4 by having the mid position = neck&abridge pickups ;-)

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    THAT is actually a good idea, that has literally never occurred to me with that guitar. Why did I have such a blind spot?
    I have a mini toggle for coil split on the JB so the guitar has six good sounds now and adding a neck + bridge would be...more! Maybe I'll do this over the holiday. A neck+bridge option would be great. Although...may have to do it with a neck on/off using a push/pull and keep my 5 way way as is. I use the mini toggle combos with the 5 way in 1& 2 a lot and I may lose some of that with super switch combinations...I think. Anyway, thanks for the idea.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

13. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I use a Mega Switch to do this, and it is by far a lot more useful to me than the middle position alone.

14. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Aug 25, 2013
    Para Para
    SD Hotrails also has a tele size rail @neck pos.
    Turns it into a monster with a 5 way.

Attached Files:

Seymour Duncan likes this.

15. Doglas Vaccaro

Doglas Vaccaro New Member!

Jan 1, 2018
    Brazil
    Hot rail is nice...

many sounds and low cost!

Attached Files:

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter