Join Strat-Talk Today

How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by surfaday, Nov 10, 2010.

1. surfaday

surfaday Strat-Talker

I have had to move my guitar room from a spare bedroom to a patio-like room that receives heated air through the door but has no heat registers in the room. On top of that, the room has a tile floor so its dang cold down near the floor, even with a carpet.

As I write this, near midnight, furnace off, its 70 degrees in the living room and 64 or so along the floor in the guitar room with 63% humidity. Probably be close to 60 or less by morning. So its not like an uninsulated garage or something like that, but just a little chilly.

Probably won't get much colder than that.

I have my various guitars in gig bags, my steel string acoustic is in a hard case. Not planning on taking them anywhere, just wondering about keeping them in here and taking them out and playing in here.

Is this an ok environment to leave them in? Or bring the out to play? Or is it too cold for long term and should I move them somewhere else?

Thanks,

Walter

2. 7thSenpai

7thSenpai Strat-O-Master

Apparently the ideal conditions are 70-75°F and 40-50% humidity from a quick search on google.

My guitars are in my basement and its about 64°F or so down there and about 40% humidity. I would not store my instruments where temperatures fluctuates more then about 5°F, I think a cold floor or any wall thats a lot colder can be bad because you want the entire guitar to be the same temperature what ever the temperature it be. Example is like if you have sit the guitar in its case on a cold floor, the back side of the guitar can be colder then the top side which can be prone to warping over long periods of time. If you move an instrument somewhere that is different of about 5-10°F untune the strings let it slowly get into the room temperature, any more can be bad unless you can somehow let it settle slowly into the room temperature. I wouldn't be so fond if that room is fluctuating 10°F daily as well, I rather have an instrument that does not see much temperature fluctuation in its life. As for humidity I like keep them on the lower end then the 63% you got.These are all my opinions. I worked as a CMM technician for over 3 years measuring automotive parts and I strictly made the company make my CMM lab to be temperature controlled, I could measure the differences between a part that was just produced on the floor verses one I a left in the lab for 24hrs. And parts left in the lab over 24hrs were repeatable measuring the same any day until it leaves the lab.

3. dmuncaster

dmuncaster Strat-O-Master

My old Guild has seen 30 below (F) many times, for many hours. You just don't want to warm or cool it very quickly.
    Now would I want my guitar room to be 10 degrees colder than my house? No, but just from a convenience point of view. As long as they're not exposed to drastic temp or humidity changes, I don't think anything will be damaged.

4. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

My rule of thumb is always: if I'm not comfortable in an environment my guitars don't stay there. Cold or hot cars, buildings, anywhere - if I wouldn't stay there for the length of time the guitar will be left, it goes with me. I don't consider my guitars as people with "feelings" or any such nonsense, it just seems to be a reasonable means to gauge the appropriateness of an environment.

5. Orbit

Orbit Senior Stratmaster

I don't even keep my house above 63 in the winter, so playing my guitars between 70 and 75 is a bit of an issue... in fact, it's 63 as I write.

6. vonasemj

vonasemj Strat-O-Master

I don't see it as being much of an issue. Electrics are much less temperamental than acoustics. I would try any acoustics you may have in a much more consistant temperature.

7. John Brown

John Brown Strat-O-Master

There must not be any females in your house.

8. Orbit

Orbit Senior Stratmaster

LOL.. true that
    and electric blanket to boot

9. Frankg11

Frankg11 Strat-Talker

Oh -- John Brown. So True.

When it's 70 in the summer to hot, 70 in the winter too cold. Explain that one

My guitar(wife) complains all the time about the temp.

I just let the guitar acclimate some to the new temp (I only have Electrics)

10. fenson

fenson ----------------------

They will be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.