Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

How did you improve as a player?

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by Morf2540, Dec 30, 2017.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Depends on what you want to learn. :)

2. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Ad space available Strat-Talk Supporter

I have spent a bit of time doing a bit of study with my now armed and dangerous amount of understanding. I always knew I was blending some other scale with minor pent but did not know what or why. It seems as though I was adding a couple notes and really playing a blend of minor pent and dorian. I found this and it is becoming a bit more in focus.

You’ll notice that all the major modes (the ones that contain a 3) have the degrees 1–2–3–5–6 in common, in other words, they all contain a major pentatonic scale. Similarly, except for Locrian (which we’ll address later), all the minor modes (with a b3) have the degrees 1–b3–4–5–b7 in common, and this spells a minor pentatonic scale.

This leads to a conclusion: We can think of a mode as being a five-note pentatonic scale with two added degrees. The Dorian mode is a minor pentatonic with an added 2 and 6, the Lydian mode is a major pentatonic with an added #4 and 7, and so on.

JustABluesGuy and fezz parka like this.
  3. Fettmajik117

Fettmajik117 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Iowa
    Played like it was my job. Learned everything I could from everyone and everything I could find. My mom would find me in the morning passed out on my guitar in the living room surrounded by guitar mags and tab books.. studied theory and kept an open mind. Spent a lot of time at Jams and any live music I could find. Got into playing with people.

4. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    Playing in the 2 cover bands and finally some serious focus on Speed Mechanics book with cassette which I bought in 1993 I think.

The first cover band was Danish group Gasolin' which I grew up on but it did not really influence my playing until playing it. It was my first serious band and I learned to be in one on that level.

Also since most songs were rehearsed 3-5 times in a row I could improvise the solo's so I did not get too bored by repeating the songs.

Playing live often gave inter action with audience. Just sad that the band only were great on 50% of the line-up.

After that I got a Jimi Hendrix trio together and by the second bass and drummer I had really matching musicians that could follow my style of playing.

So it would not take many rehearsals to sound good and together even with first time jams. Things like that did not happen in my previous band. Mostly it did not improve much at all regardless of how many times we tried.

Having that musicianship ment that like Jimi did I could run with the playing and so I did getting to know partscaster Blackie in the process as that guitar was perfect for the job.

Troy Stetina Speed Mechanics was something that takes serious work with a metronome to get down so I started to do so on Blackie and pretty soon I could play Yngwie up to speed.

Having done legato and picking in sync makes the improvising confident and right on as the fingers do not hold back.

5. JulianH

JulianH Strat-Talk Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Virginia
    Well step 1 is to video yourself playing every week or so. That way you can see the improvement, and that is huge motivation.

6. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

A few things:

First is hand strength. Its something I first noticed in Gary Moore. Strength to bend...hold. When I started working on that I found my hand/lower arm getting sore as I played. So I kept at it until that stopped and had more ability to pull the sound out of the guitar...attack it....but in controlled way. I'm very relaxed when I play but a lot of power is my hands and arms. To practice that I like to play over some kind of latin type music and just go all out not worrying about phrasing etc.

Practicing with less gain than I might be comfortable with. It makes me use my hands more to get the tone. Less gain is usually better in the long run for clarity of notes. Using my hands for sustain.

Trying to make a point of playing less notes and falling back on default riffs to fill space up.

Trying to not express emotion....but to feel emotion.

7. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Recording at home has made me a much better player... I used to only focus on rhythm mostly.. Now I'll do recording with 3-4 guitars all in different octaves but in the right key... Helps my brain make connections for music theory